Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
photo_joe

Which Vegetables for fall zone 9?

Photo_Joe
19 years ago

I have never had a fall vegetable garden and it has been over forty years since I had a garden at all (earn Boy Scout Merit Badge).

I want to grow salad vegetables and beans but have no ideal which ones are best for a fall garden in zone 9

Joe

Comments (8)

• nighttimelover
    19 years ago

Lettuce is a great one, it loves the cooler weather. Peppers, strawberries, squash, those are all ones I've grown successfully in the fall.

• donna_loomis
    19 years ago

In addition to lots of different lettuces (love those greens) I usually plant beets, turnips (never tasted them until I was 47 years old, and I LOVE them), radishes, and peas. My garlic arrived in the mail today and I'll get those in this weekend. And I'm going to try fava beans this year (three different types, they came today with the garlic).

• bluemill
    19 years ago

i'm in same zone. under my 6' plstic pup tents i grow all cool season crops through winter. even tomatoes from plant established in summer.

• sacratomato70
    19 years ago

Broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts, onions, bok choi, snow peas, cilantro, mizuna, and arugula are also good picks for growing in fall/winter.

• magic53
    16 years ago

We have planted beets the last two years in the fall with no success. Same for spinach. We have plenty of luck with lettuces and brocolli in the same space, but nothing happens with the beets and spinach. Any ideas out there?
    Mary

• growingup
    16 years ago

Last year, I had great success with red onion (take forever to mature), green leaf lettuce, squash, and carrots. Beets and radishes will do well too, I just don't eat them so I don't plant them. This is a fabulous site for us in AZ. It tells us what should grow, how long it takes, and when to plant it:

Here is a link that might be useful: UofA Horticulture Publications

• thale28
    16 years ago

I live by the UofA publication. My dh laminated it for me. I use it ALL the time. This is my first year at food production, though I've dabbled in flowers and herbs before. Have been very pleased so far with tomatoes, tomatillos, eggplants, basil, swiss chard, lettuces, beet, carrots and a few others. Getting ready this weekend, to restake the tomatoes, because they appear to have a new round of flowers on them (wasn't expecting that) and plant some new stuff. Melons and peppers were disappointing. Am planning to add some more greens/lettuces, some onions, carrots, broccoli beets and squash right away. Fingers crossed.

• greenthumdfamily
    16 years ago

I'm in zone 9 i grow turnips,mustards,collards,tomato,cabbage,carrots,eggplants,lettuces,watermelons,strawberries,pumpkins,squash,Herbs such as dill,basils,peppermint.....beans in florida don't like the cold i tryed once and all mine got this white mold and the leaves dropped down then they died...also you can plant corn,cukes and watermelons in jan 2008 also sugar cane can be grown all year round here there's tons more that you can grow in zone 9 just search online for a veggie guide ...and good luck to all who veggie garden durring winter.