Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jasoncoleman_gw

Indoor garden, pot size and seeds!

jasoncoleman
15 years ago

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and a somewhat novice gardener. I've been doing veggie gardens for about 4 years now. This year, encouraged by a successful harvest of radishes grown completely indoors under artificial lighting, I thought I'd try and grow through winter.

The biggest item I'm struggling with right now is the seed packed for the cucumbers I'm going to plant says that for 12-13" pot, to do 3 plants per pot. Now, I am actually planning on using a pot that's 12" wide at the top. But I don't have soiled all the way to the top, so the surface area of the soil is about 11".

Should I fill it pretty much to the top?

If I plant multiple plants, how do you space them? Right along the edges as far apart from each other as possible? Or a little more inward? Or in a line across the middle?

Since I'm doing this indoor, I didn't think I'd go right for 3 to the pot, but maybe 2...

I realize these are a bit silly questions, I'm not quite sure what's trivial detail and what's not. I am learning as I go with no one to tell me these things. :)

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• pam225
    15 years ago

I, too, am very interested in hearing about this. I had an awesome year this year with my veggies...I had to purchase a head of lettuce and some corn yesterday - didn't grow corn and lettuce isn't up yet - but other than that, no veggies purchased at the store ALL SUMMER!

The veggies taste great and I'd like to continue that throughout the winter if possible - my Kale and Swiss Chard is coming up now, just planted lettuce spinach, and Kolhrabi this weekend (I know I'm late) - will use glass to make a makeshift cold frame over my raised beds this fall/winter. I also want to plant some things that are less tolerant to cold in the house - more lettuce and possible grape tomatoes (I hate the taste of winter tomatoes in the store!). I also want to do this because of the cost savings - I saveD a TON of money this summer feeding my family from the garden (family of 4) - growing my veggies also encourages my daughters (13 & 16) to eat more veggies.

So....all of you experts...please help the novices!

Thanks!

Pam
    Havertown, Pa

• tom_n_6bzone
    15 years ago

expert I am not. experienced I am. The winter sun in the north where both of you are located gets shorter and shorter. If you intend on a production of vegetables in the house, you'll have to use florescent or other lighting to be able to grow sun loving plants enough to produce good. Cucumbers are difficult inside. Smaller sized tomatoes are more successful. Leaf Lettuces, cilantros, parsely, mizuna, arugula (rocket), corn salad, bok chois and other asian veges, can sit on a southern exposed window sill. Anything other than a south facing window and you'll need lights.

Jason, as far as how high in the pot do you put soil, the more the better is usually good advice. In containers for the winter, you'll likely have to feed them weekly doses of small amounts of fertilizers. They can't get it from the potting mix unless you're using the type that has ferts in them.

How do you space them? That depends on the shape of the pot but you'll want them just as you'll likely image it, as far from one as the other evenly spaced but not on the edges.

I like Pam's idea of cold frames over her perfect choice of planting for a fall harvest I'd add beets to that too cuz even if they don't bulb and they might with mulch, the leaves are excellent for color and taste in salads.

~tom

• pam225
    15 years ago

Tom...you don't think it's too late to plant beets? Heck, I'll go out this morning (once I get the kids out of the house to school) and plant my seeds...I have tons - had purchased additional with the intention of growing a fall crop (did them in the spring also)...but didn't get them in on time.

If the concensus is okay...then I'm out in the garden in about an hour!

Pam

• tom_n_6bzone
    15 years ago

soak the beet seeds in water for 24 hours. they will sprout in a few days then. It's a lovely cold frame candidate, or you can just mulch well and harvest the leaves in several weeks. Go Pam Go.
    ~tom

• pam225
    15 years ago

Tom,

I soaked the seads for two days (it rained the next day)...some of the seeds actually started to sprout a small root! So....they are all in the ground now and I will let you all know how they go.

Thanks for the advice!

Pam

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional