Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hey_waterman

what veggies can i plant now

hey-waterman
17 years ago

I just finnished building my garden, I live a few miles from the coast and 10 miles from the mexican border in the San Deigo area. the weather is always mild and rearly frosts. what can I gorw this winter?

This will be my very first garden to grow food in. I know absolutly nothing.

Comments (6)

• feldon30
    17 years ago

Climate information is normally given by USDA Growing Zones of 1-10. California has more detailed zone information called Sunset Zones. There are 24 Sunset Zones which are used in California and other western states to further give climate information.

Sunset Zone Map for California

I am guessing Sunset Zone 23, or USDA Zone 9a, which is similar to Houston, TX.

You may find my Houston Planting Dates chart helpful. As always, I appreciate any comments, concerns, complaints, etc. about it.

Right now, you can plant Cauliflower, Broccoli, and Brussels Sprouts transplants, Carrots, Parsnips, Turnips, and Rutabagas from seed, and onion sets (transplants). You're a bit late for green/wax/pole beans but you can probably still do so. You could conceivably plant potatoes if you have access to good seed potatoes. You're too late for tomatoes and peppers unless you can find large transplants of small-fruited varieties like cherries approx 2 feet tall in a 1 gallon pot.

Mid-October is time to start seeding or planting lettuce, cabbage, spinach, and strawberry crowns/starts.

Save English peas, snow peas, and sugar snap peas for December.

Start tomato and pepper seeds in late December early January for March plant-out.

• feldon30
    17 years ago

Since you are starting from zero, I would buy one or more of the Vegetable growing "crash courses" that teach you everything to get started.

* Ed Smith's Vegetable Gardener's Bible
    * Mel Bartholomew's Square Foot Gardening

• estebancelis
    17 years ago

That's a great chart you have Feldon. You think in Tampa FL (zone 9) I could follow it? I am interested in planting peppers and I see you get 2 crops a year. Any preference on what to plant for the 1st or 2nd crop?

• Violet_Z6
    17 years ago

You can also check with your state's Extension Service. Each county should have it's own Cooperative Extension Office which provides free publications and information for the asking. They can also tell you the average last frost date for your area and ideal planting times for specific crops and varieties in your area.

See how detailed this example is: Vegetable Planting and Planning Calendar for Missouri (download the pdf) complete with spring and fall planting dates (underneath the spring planting dates for appropriate crops), how much to plant per person, etc.

Here is an excerpt:
    {{gwi:4005}}

Just call up the office in your county. Look under the "Government" section (usually blue pages) of your phone book under "Extension". They will have valuable vegetable/gardening tables available specifically for your area determined by universities, and horticultural research scientists have collected data from growing those crops in your state.

• reefisher
    17 years ago

The end of sept is one of the most important planting seasons for San Diego. You can still get summer squash, beans, as well as the most important fall/winter/spring veggies like all the brassicas, lettuces, peas. The cool season in San Diego is the MOST important growing season. I'm reading this a bit late, but right now in my San Diego garden I'm harvesting lettuce, bok choy, bush beans, summer squash, peppers, broccoli (perrenial) Choy Sum, other asian greens. Right now (Nov 3) I would start lettuce (boston bib, sierra, four seasons, green leaf, etc), broccoli, onions, swiss chard, some asian greens if you are into this, in flats for transplanting when they look right.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA