Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The bounty of my mini greenhouse

Posted by rayinpenn 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 11, 11 at 5:04

Planted lettuce mid September, outside crop doesnt look nearly as nice. The mini greenhouse took about a hour or two to build, The results speak for themselves. The greenhouse is roughly 4 by 8 feet. I should have built 4 of them!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The bounty of my mini greenhouse

Looks great (your whole setup)

What are your plans for all that lettuce?

o

Silly, family of four...there will be a lot of salads for the next few weeks..

o
enjoy some slads

silly, lots of salads. (family of 4)

o

What a sweet greenhouse. Does the top "nest" into the bottom?

o

• Posted by t-bird Chicago 5/6 (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 13, 11 at 14:45

Please share your techniques and materials! You are far handier than I, lols

o

Beautiful.

o

Inspiring. Kudos.

o

Lovely! (I cover my kale with old shower curtains before freezing nights. It is ugly.)

o

Y'know I was wondering, Ray, do those mini greenhouses work well against pests? Not just the bugs and fungus, but stuff like deer, groundhogs, etc.. I'm thinking of building them to extend my growing season, as well as keep out unwanted pests. Neighbors around here have electric fences for the deer and even have made venison jerky! I would hope not to have to shoot some critters, so I'm thinking a cover like this would be good.

o

Yes this one keeps all but slugs at bay.

o

• Posted by t-bird Chicago 5/6 (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 3, 12 at 16:24

how do you deal with the slugs?

o

Very impressive set-up and I would like to try one at our house. How does it do in the wind?

o

SLUGS... My best defense is shredded or screened compost. Spread 1/2" over the surface. The top 1/8" dries out very quickly. Slugs crawl onto it and it coats their slimy little bodies and they can't lay down a slime trail... they're stuck until the sun comes up... et voila... escargots. Very effective for me around baby plants, especially my green beans. Keep it fluffed up after a rain and top up as needed.You can't ever have too much compost in your garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lively Dirt - The Garden Blog

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here