Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Indoor Winter Garden

Posted by smorley z6 MA (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 1, 03 at 8:28

All,

I plan on growing some vegetables (tomato, broccoli, carrots,lettuce) indoors in a spare room I have. DOes any one have any tips or warnings? Also, I plan on using an Indeterminate tomato plant (Brandywine) ...can these be pruned or something to decrease the height of the plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Indoor Winter Garden

Without supplemental light it's hard to get fruiting or root vegetables to do much in winter indoors. I'd say skip the carrots and try the tomatos only if you have a grow light. Even the broccoli, that is cold-hardy, isn't likely to get enough energy from the weak winter light to put out much of a head.

Lettuce (broadcast in pots for cut-and-come-again growth) is the only vegetable you mention that may do OK but only if you have good southern exposure in your spare room. I've been able to grow lettuce, arugua, thyme, etc. in pots on a window sill, but the slow growth in the low light conditions in winter makes it pretty unsatisfying.

You're better off growing sprouts, or following the winter harvest techniques described in Eliot Coleman's "Four Season Harvest." The point of his book is that you focus on ways to harvest fresh vegies that you've grown during better growing conditions of the other seasons, rather than trying to grow them in winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here