Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
turnips

Posted by capt_agricultur (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 15, 05 at 14:28

Are there 2 kinds of turnips?This yr I have folage & small bulbs ...Other yrs min folage & large bulbs ...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: turnips

If they were the same variety then "I guess the answer lies in the soil" as Sir Percy Thrower used to say. A hign notrogen feed will give a lot of top growth BUT I guess the most likely answer is a different variety or even a late planting.

The common varieties are white "Snowball" which is Apple sized and small is Primera F1 Table tennis ball sized. Many inbetween. Some are grown purely for their leaves.....Then they are planted closely and NOT thinned. Turnips should grow quickly, 40 days and be harvested when not fully grown for best flavour. Keep well watered and sow in good manured soil.

o

you can laugh if you want to--but i've found that planting by the moon causes these variables. i tried it one year on purpose, and wrong sign produced only tops-no turnips--while right sign produced very little leaves--and big turnips.

o

and--yes, there is a variety that is grown only for tops. i just remembered, years ago, i planted without reading the package. read it--after having only tops.

o

Seven Tops is the variety that I know of that is grown for the greens only.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here