Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is killing my fall lettuce and spinach?

Posted by briank82 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 19, 13 at 14:29

Hello folks.

A few weeks back I planted some lettuce and spinach for fall. The store-bought lettuce plants are doing awesome. However, tyee spinach I started from seed and escarole are dying off. I can't figure it out but I am wondering if it may be nematodes. when I check the seedlings, I see a few wilted. If I go to pull them, many times the roots are gone... like something is killing them right at the soil surface. when roots are present, I cannot see clear indications of nematodes. I should add, that this is not some form of mammal doing this. No signs of that whatsoever...footprints, waste, nibbling on leaves. Anyone's thoughts or possible solutions are appreciated. I try to be organic but I am not 100% and will use some products that are not for organic gardening

thanks in advance

Brian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is killing my fall lettuce and spinach?

No reply required. I figured it out by digging around. It was cutworms. They will dine on cornmeal and Baccilus Thurengis tonight.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here