Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tall_cool_one

how much protection can I get from my cold frame?

tall_cool_one
19 years ago

Last winter I was able to overwinter a few spinach plants with absolutely no protection from the weather. I just trimmed back the frost bitten leaves and had a nice early crop of fresh spinach. This year I planted spinach in my Dutch Single Frame Cold Frame which measures about 24" by 40". It has hard double walled plastic for walls. I currently have romaine, spinach, and multi variety colored lettuce planted in the frame. I will be able to start pulling leaves for salads on the lettuce in the next few weeks if all goes according to plan. Will I be able to keep the plants going through the winter? Will I be able to have fresh lettuce and spinach from my garden in January when I am home from school on a snow day(I'm a teacher not a kid :)? Would putting water bottles painted black in the frame help keep the lettuce and spinach from freezing? Any other ideas short of putting a heater in the frame?

Comments (5)

• swanz
    19 years ago

It's estimated that using a coldframe gives you about an extra zone and a half of protection.

Swanz

• dethride
    19 years ago

I like your idea about the black water containers in the frames. I'm doing the same thing and it seems to help. One way to determine that is to have a Max/Min thermometer and record the results. If you have access to straw bales you can surround the frames for added insulation. I have two frames 80" x 36" with white painted 3/4'" foamboard house insulation on the inside that relects light and has an R value of 3 (?) or so. The spinach is doing well and I've just palnted gobs of radishes and some romaine. I made mine from double insulated patio doors hinged on the high side of sloping cedar frames. I built an metal frame with old cast iron window sash weights that acts as a counter weight for the rather heavy door. I reduced the effort to open them from 35 lbs. down to 8 lbs. One way to add more days to the growing season is to cover them with another layer of protection such as a plastic and frame mini greenhouse. I've got more patio doors and I'm thinking about making a temporary greenhouse structure to cover the coldframes in order to grow my beloved veggies. I would also get another frame going because you'll outgrow that one you have now. More is better when it comes to having successive plantings. Check out Eliott Coleman's FOUR SEASON GARDENING. Tons of inspration and cold frame stuff from a master.

• erlyberd
    19 years ago

The key is to have mature plants once the cold weather hits. The mature plants should remain all winter. Just pick them when its above freezing. Use cold hardy greens and carrots.

• raisemybeds
    19 years ago

Yes - have them mature first. I am learning the hard way that I planted too late, but still I am getting some salad greens etc., and have improved my plans for next year. Coleman's book is helping me too. It is a joy to absorb knowledge from someone who loves their occupation.

• BUBL
    19 years ago

Any kind of thermal mass helps (water jugs, brick, earth). They heat up slower and cool off slower than the air so the temps get moderated at both ends. That's why you'll see commercial greenhouses w/ large water barrels, usually w/ a couple of planks on top to form a bench. I use water jugs in my CF. On cold nights an old blanket or 2 on top helps. For especially cold nights you could drop a trouble light in there. You'll get 4-5 degrees warmer w/ a 75 watt bulb. Just make sure you run an outdoor rated cord.

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax