Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
planting garlic and onions in the fall for spring harvest

Posted by tall_cool_one Zone 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 10, 04 at 11:00

Recently at my neighborhood Lowe's I was perusing the fall bulb section and they had garlic and Valdalia(I know they really aren't Valdalia unless they are grown in Georgia)onions. I never considered growing onions and garlic as a fall planted crop. Being late fall, I was getting kind of bummed being unable to plant something because my 24" by 40" mini greenhouse was already full of lettuce and spinach. The package said to plant them for spring harvest. I picked 1 package of each up and took them home to plant in my square foot garden.

I've never grown garlic before and like I said, I've never grown onions or garlic over the winter before. Any tricks of the trade out there? When is garlic ready to harvest? All of the garlic has already sprouted 6" sprouts and most of the onions have started to sprout.

I'm looking forward to have homegrown garlic. Does it taste any better or different than what you get from the vegetable section at the store?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: planting garlic and onions in the fall for spring harvest

I have always thought ANYTHING homegrown tastes better than storebought. But i think with garlic and onions the main advantage is always having them there and being able to pick them at whatever size you want.

o

In zone eight we always plant garlic in the fall but I'm not sure about your zone. I usually harvest garlic mid summer when all but about seven of the leaves have turned brown. Pull them up and let them dry out in a shady spot for a week or so until all of the leaves dry. At that point you can use it or store it for the winter. It will last from four to ten months or so depending on variety. Onions from sets usually do better as green onions rather than bulb onions. The green onions can be harvested all winter if the ground isnt frozen. If the onions don't go to seed in the summer they will start to grow large bulbs and when the tops start to die down they are ready to pull. Good luck. Theresa.

o

I am in your zone and have also planted garlic for the first time on Oct. 6. This was advised to me as the best way to go, and I was told to plant strictly HARDNECK varieties for a good result. So far so good. I am also told to leave it out there exposed to the cold and freeze and snow and everything else and not to worry about it. I did mulch with straw though. Should be ready in early June sometime. Then I will plant beans in the same bed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here