Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just-for-the-fun-of-it...........................................

Posted by corgicorner Mass 6/7 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 20, 03 at 12:06

.....I saved some "PITS" from some peaches we bought for eating this Fall. I took these "pits" to the cellar, and cracked one open. Inside I found what I believe is a seed one seed per "pit". I planted 8 of them in pots in sterilized soil.
Can you offer me some advise as to when they might germinate? They are inside the house in a west window. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just-for-the-fun-of-it.......................................

Peach seeds require one to two cold periods in order to germinate. Set your pots outside for the winter. Many seeds will germinate in the spring provided winter temperatures are consistantly below 40 degrees F. If they don't germinate, they may require "another winter". You can fool Mother Nature by placing the pots in the fridge sealed inside a plastic bag for 90-120 days then return to the warm weather outdoors. Make sure you keep the pot watered when placing outside. The resulting plants usually don't resemble the parent plants nor will the fruit because most fruit trees are hybrids and grafted onto rootstocks.

This cold spell will break their dormancy...so you can still do your experiment...it'll just take a little longer.

Shelly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here