Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growth in winter greens?

Posted by pellice 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 4, 13 at 12:43

I am giving a serious try to a winter greens garden this year. I think the plants - various lettuces in a cold frame, and chard, broccoli rabe, collards, and mustard greens outside the frame, but mulched with straw - will do fine. But will they grow? I feel guilty every time I pick some leaves thinking they may not be replaced!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growth in winter greens?

No they don't grow that much. Real slow. You have to start them early and plant extra.

o

I was just reading on the site from a MD farm that grows in winter (zone 6 as well) that you can cut up to 30% of the leaves of the greens every 10 days during mild weather, and every 6 weeks during the dead of winter. I'm not sure how to figure the percentages, but I basically just cut a few of the outside leaves whenever I uncover the bed.

In my experience, the plants do grow new leaves, and get more active in that growth as the days become longer later in the winter. It's the cutting that makes them grow. So, for example, I cut spinach when the leaves are the size of quarters, and the plants grow new leaves. Don't wait for the size of leaves you're used to during the summer growth months.

I also focus on salads rather than cooking, since it takes many fewer leaves to make a nice salad than it does to make a serving of cooked greens.

o

The technique is to get your greens to harvest size before daylight falls below 10 hours. Then they basically sit there while you harvest. Once daylight lengthens again, they'll start to grow noticeably.

o

Regarding the type of green grown through the winter, my wife grows radicci and it seems to drow well except in the very cold spells. She covers it when it is very cold with plastic and it picks up the growing process as the weather moderates.

I am thinking about growing leaf broccoli or "spigariello" that way. Any advice?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here