Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Collard greens and other greens

Posted by pandabearkohl z5 WI (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 2, 03 at 13:00

Does anyone know if I can grow collard greens and other greens during the winter in my inclosed porch

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Collard greens and other greens

Depends upon the temperature on your porch. Collards, cabbage, mustard greens and turnip greens all are relatively cold hardy and will live through light to moderate frosts. Depending upon wind, exposure and humidity mine do fine to below 20 degrees. Below that they suffer rather intensely. My neighbors here in Tobaccoville, NC (Yep that is the real name) all keep winter greens growing as long as they can.
If the temperature can be kept high enough on your porch you should have no problem growing collards even in Wisconsin. Do you have a way to heat it or does it have a southern exposure with plenty of sunshine and concrete or brick to act as a heat sink? I use a brick foundation for my cold frame with dark painted water filled milk jugs to store heat and that works fine for spinach and lettuce. We are not in the banana belt here near the Blue Ridge. We are on the boundary between zones 6 and 7.

o

And the cold is good for the collards, it makes them sweeter. I try not to eat mine until they have been "frosted", but in No. Florida it is a bit of a wait, lol.

o

Okay No. Florida, you should not have a problem with the frost now, lol. Now you can feel our northern pain.

o

tatsoi would be another great option.

o

I planted collard greens in my winter garden. I simply picked of the leaves and more collards continue to grow. It's February now. I know that collards like the cold. Should I pull them all up and freeze them now or continue to eat off of the plant?

o

I would just continue to eat them off the plant...In zone 6 you should still have some time to enjoy collards.

o

Kale is the cold hardiest of the cole crops. Other cold hardy greens include spinach, miner's lettuce, corn salad, and winter lettuce cultivars like Winter Density and Rouge d'hiver.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here