Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
newbee pest control help

Posted by Glo407 So NJ (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 7, 13 at 14:40

Neighbors and I are starting a joint vegetable & flower garden in early spring 2014 and have pest control questions. 1) Which is best to use for insect pest control - Neem oil or lady bugs? (2) When are either one added to your garden - at the beginning of plant growth or when you see a problem developing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: newbee pest control help

Ladybugs will fly away. i never used Neem. I've read that it is good. I do IPM. I try to check my plants daily and hand squish any bugs I see. Gloves would be good to use for stink bugs. They are sharp for me to touch. I try to carry my pruning shears to cut caterpillars in half. I know it sounds gross, but after seeing the damage they can do to your plants, you might understand.

o

Dear Zackey - what's IPM? Does that signify the procedure you are describing? Thank you for responding to our post.

o

Sorry I didn't tell you before. Integrated Pest Management. You start with hand picking and organic sprays,traps, BT for caterpillars,(trying to attract beneficial insects with the proper plants-that's my idea. I don't know if the Univ. of Florida mentions that in their IPM program). If they get really out of control you use chemicals. I don't use chemicals on my food crops. It destroys the reason I grow my own food. If I want to eat chemicals I can just buy produce at the store.

o

There is an IPM forum on Gardenweb.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here