Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glo407

newbee pest control help

glo407
10 years ago

Neighbors and I are starting a joint vegetable & flower garden in early spring 2014 and have pest control questions. 1) Which is best to use for insect pest control - Neem oil or lady bugs? (2) When are either one added to your garden - at the beginning of plant growth or when you see a problem developing?

Comments (5)

• zzackey
    10 years ago

Ladybugs will fly away. i never used Neem. I've read that it is good. I do IPM. I try to check my plants daily and hand squish any bugs I see. Gloves would be good to use for stink bugs. They are sharp for me to touch. I try to carry my pruning shears to cut caterpillars in half. I know it sounds gross, but after seeing the damage they can do to your plants, you might understand.

• glo407
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dear Zackey - what's IPM? Does that signify the procedure you are describing? Thank you for responding to our post.

• zzackey
    10 years ago

Sorry I didn't tell you before. Integrated Pest Management. You start with hand picking and organic sprays,traps, BT for caterpillars,(trying to attract beneficial insects with the proper plants-that's my idea. I don't know if the Univ. of Florida mentions that in their IPM program). If they get really out of control you use chemicals. I don't use chemicals on my food crops. It destroys the reason I grow my own food. If I want to eat chemicals I can just buy produce at the store.

• zzackey
    10 years ago

There is an IPM forum on Gardenweb.

• slomo1
    8 years ago

Verry dependent on the pest. Bt is found in manny products and can be beneficial, Diatomaceous earth has worked well for me also. Depends on what your up against

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner