Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dethride

Too cold for broccoli to head up?

dethride
17 years ago

My "Goliath" plants have in the garden for seven weeks now and are growing nicely but show no signs of forming heads. They are a 62 day variety (I think) and the temps have averaged 34 morning to 52 afternoon but it's been below freezing about five times. I'm thinking of putting them under fabric tunnels and putting 2.5 gallon dark jugs filled with water for some solar warmth. Will broc head up in the cold?

Comments (6)

• opal52
    17 years ago

I'm in 7b, Metro Atlanta area. May not be as cool as Blue Ridge area, but I think we are maybe just a little cooler than usual this season so may be comparable. Anyway... I planted Goliath this year also. I planted the broccoli in two stages. Several of the later plants transplanted end Sept. are just beginning to form heads. I was about to give up hope for them. In my case I think reduced sunshine as the sun changed angles with the fall season affected the plants. Most trees lost their leaves a couple weeks ago so the garden is getting more sun and now heads are forming. This is the first time I have grown broccoli. I think in Georgia it doesn't get "really" cold, so broccoli will head up in what we call late fall early winter. It has for me anyway. Hope this helps.

• dethride
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think I waited about two weeks too late to plant. Learn something every year and there's nothing like getting NOTHING for your efforts to get it right next time. I'm leaving them in the ground under fabric row covers with 2.5 gallon water jugs for thermal storage but with it going down to 18 degrees tonite, I wonder how they will fare.

• organica
    17 years ago

D:
    Did they make it OK? My brassicas have been surviving very well under a double layer of row cover - no plastic - growing very slowly in cold temps, but growing. Last year I got broc heads in the middle of winter and I expect to this year also.
    O

• sacratomato70
    17 years ago

Just give it a little time for temps to warm up just another 5-10 degrees. I went through this in February. I had nearly given up on my broccoli and then practically overnight we went from 55 degrees to 70 degrees in the day. The broccoli headed beautifully, until too many days of 70 degrees plus sent it bolting. I managed to get a couple of heads and some sideshoots.

• dethride
    Original Author
    16 years ago

O,
    Yes, they did. After being frozen and looking pretty bad they perked up and formed heads after some milder weather arrived. A lot of useful and yummy broccoli came on for about two weeks. I'm gald I kept them in the ground.

• organica
    16 years ago

d:
    Glad to know they made it!

I've got three sprouting broc plants that grew slowly under protection over the winter and are now producing nicely - hopefully they will go on for a while though it's been very hot this week.
    -O

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm