Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harimad

Need to test bed methods...

Harimad
20 years ago

Hi, everyone. I haven't visited this forum much, so I hope I'm not violating the norms with my question or its phraseology.

I will have 3 veggie beds in my mostly sunny front yard of my rental house. Bed #1 is in a very compacted site (most of it had been under flagstone) that I had not previously improved. For #1 I double dug the very compacted soil, mixed it 50/50 with compost, put it back in the bed, laid down 2-3" coffee grounds then topped with 2" leaf mulch. I also planted some pearl onions that had started to sprout, in part of the bed.

Bed #2 had been turned (with a garden fork) and heavily mulched in the early summer. This one I single dug, mixed the soil 50/50 with compost, put it back, laid down 3" coffee grounds then 2" leaf mulch. Didn't plant anything.

Bed #3 had been turned with a hand trowel and lightly mulched (1"?) in the early summer. I can't face another 4 hours digging so I'm going to lay 50/50 soil/compost on top of the existing soil the top with -- you guessed it -- 3" coffee grounds and 2" leaf mulch.

What I want to do is grow something so I could compare beds #2 and 3. The kicker is that it looks like I'm moving at the end of May. What can I grow that will give me an answer by May?

Thanks,

Harimad

PS - I'm also posting at the Soil/Compost/Mulch forum.

Comments (5)

• faithling
    20 years ago

Oat seeds germinate in amazingly cold conditions. They're routinely used in site work to stablize soil and prevent erosion after late-fall and winter construction.

In the edible realm you could try arugula, mizuna, or any other of the fast-growing cruciferous greens.

Sorry to hear you have to move after all that work!

• jlconno
    20 years ago

wheat

• microfarmer
    20 years ago

For zone 7 you should warm the ground early or keep it warm starting now.

If you warm the beds, your choices in plants expands substantially. You can start the seeds inside and transplant to insure germination instead of the wondering if you plant directly in the ground. The time spent waiting for the sprouts to pop up can have those beds toasty.

A cheap way to keep the soil warm is a PVC pipe, wood lathe, or wire frame with plastic sheeting over it to make a bed/row cover. It'll be lite enough to move around and store. Maybe even some kinda heater. The winter sun will provide a lot of warmth if you can hold the heat in.

The jury's still out as to using black or clear plastic for a soil warmer if you place the plastic in contact with the ground. My experience is black plastic warms soil better, but clear plastic bakes the weeds better.

You can grow the usual winter crops or even (if the beds are very sheltered) some summer types as well, like peppers, fast/dwarf tomatoes...choose determinate varieties, green onions, salad veggies, carrots, etc. heck, throw in some hardy flowers as well. Things that'll stand up to light frosts will thrive under row covers. Tender plants are not recommended unless very (very) sheltered. What you want is plants that are a bit tougher than most.

Here in CA they're selling violets, primroses, snapdragons, poppies (icelandic), and Kale for winter color that stands up to frosts...(nice that the ground never freezes...).

Hope this helps a bit.

• gardenlad
    20 years ago

In zone 7 you have plenty of time between spring and May to plant all sorts of things.

Any of the hardy greens, including lettuce, many of the Asians, rockett, chard, kale, collards and so forth, will mature by the time you have to move.

English peas should grow and produce full crops by then, too.

Some of the root crops, such as turnips and beets, will grow enough by May to indicate which of the beds worked best. You won't necessarily get full-sized roots, but they'll be big enough to compare growth habits. Besides which, baby beets and turnips are the best tasting ones anyway.

Radishes will fully mature in zone 7 by the end of May.

Some of the early Brassica varieties will grow enough to provide insights. Check the days-to-maturity on cabbages and broccoli, for instance.

In short, you have plenty of choices.

• mid_tn_mama
    20 years ago

I agree with the above and would add spinach, turnip greens, green onions (started from sets for sure, not sure about seed). Look for shorter harvest dates...

Sponsored