Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Hoop House- Heavy Row Covers Good?

Posted by bfreeman_sunset20 Ca 9b vta co (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 5, 07 at 11:45

Im zone 9, but in a real cold area, its consistantly in the low 30s Dec, Jan. My cool season crops just wait it out until Feb and then grow. This year they got further along cus Fall was mild, but still they wait now for spring. It still warms up into the 60s or 70s (or hotter)in the day. I have tried the light floating row covers, but that didnt do a thing, maybe if I secured it to the ground, but they werent big enough.

Im thinking about using the heavier row cover, the ones that let in 50% light. And building a hoop house to secure the fabric on all sides, and hold in the warmth. Is 50% light good enough? It is nice and sunny here most of the winter. I dont want to use plastic because it would get to hot in the day. I dont want to have to open and close it to adjust the temp. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Hoop House- Heavy Row Covers Good?

I think the reason your plants stop growing has more to do with short winter daylight than with temperature. All the cool weather crops I know are delighted to grow, without protection, in the 30-70 F range. Night time lows in the 30's shouldn't faze them unless freezing temps are accompanied by dessicating winds. If you're getting freezing winds, then I would consider using a row cover. The heavy row covers, with their added light barrier would seem counter-productive and unnecessary if your temps stay at or above freezing.

Even in sunny California, the hours of daylight are greatly reduced between Holloween and Groundhog Day (the mid-points between Equinoxes and Winter Solstice). In your climate, cold hardy plants will still grow during that time but much slower. Once you notice this, you'll realize that Groundhog Day (Candlemas) is actually really significant for gardeners because that's the point when the rate at which the days get longer, accelerates. Plants respond accordingly with faster, noticable growth.

o

faithling, sorry but I disagree. I am in a microclimate that gets more frost then others nearby. Most zone 9 or 10 gardens have no problem growing all winter. Gardens a few miles from here (zone 9) are just enough warmer to grow in winter. Gardens a few miles the other direction (zone 10) are frostless, and definetly grow all winter. Even tender plants.
Here I have frost most mornings, and stay at freezing for 12 hours sometime. It just doesnt go much below 30 often.

o

I should know better than to offer advice for California! But I can't resist offering more.

I would try a full covering of the regular row cover first before opting for the heavy duty type. The latter seems like overkill, given your warm daytime temps and losing 50% of the light seems like too much. I use regular row covers on hoops during frosty weather in the fall and spring and it works very well down to the teens.

I think the heavy duty covers are most useful for overwintering hardy plants in cold climates where you don't expect to have growth in winter. A double layer of the regular weight works pretty well for that purpose too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here