Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
greenhouse gardening help

Posted by puffysmom 54166 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 3, 07 at 15:25

I hope someone can help me. I am in zone 4 or 5 depends on what catalog one looks at. The thing is seeing as how i have orchids and have to keep my greenhouse heated i thought i would plant greens to get me through the winter instead of eating what the stores sell. I have had no luck with lettuce. I got one cutting and that was it. romaine sprouted but that was all. Carrots and onions r doing great.
I got my soil from the dumps which is compost. great stuff. We tested it and according to the tester all the readins r right where they should be. I keep my greenhouse at a temp which varies due to sun or no sun but somewheres between 63 and 80. Most days it is not in the 80s. I had some cucumbers growing just great, blooming and then it went down the tube. The one tomato plant is not looking very happy anymore.

Will i be only able to grow carrots and onions? Anyone else in the cold north trying to grow healthy greens?
Thanks for any input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: greenhouse gardening help

do you think it might be a lack of light?

I am no lettuce expert but low light levels could explain the problem with the tomato plant and cucumbers.

o

puffysmom ,

I grow lettuce indoors in hydroponic set-up under fluorescent lights. I keep the lights on 16-18 hours a day and the plants grow great!! I would suggest going to your local book-store (or library) and reviewing a book on greenhouse gardening of lettuce just to see what they suggest. I usually go to Barnes and Noble grab a cup of coffee and take 5-6 books to the table with me and do my research. I could go check the books out of the library but the ability to enjoy a cup of coffee or tea while I do research appeals to me. Also you will only get the latest books in a book store with the most up to date info - IMHO. Depends on what the quality of your local library is as to how up to date their books on greenhouse gardening are. You can also call bookstore and/or library before you go just to find out IF they have books you might want to review.

NO can do?? Then GOOGLE greenhouse growing of the veggies you want to greenhouse grow and see what comes up.

Good Luck!!

DL

o

I have better luck with lettuce by planting them in those long planter boxes like you'd use on the patio with promix or a good potting soil mix. Lettuce is a fairly heavy feeder but too much feed will cause tipburn on the edges of the leaves. I use a 20-20-20 constant feed at 100 ppm. Watch for aphids. It also grows well in a hanging basket.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here