Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shipping live tomato plants to WI in January?

Posted by turquoise 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 27, 08 at 17:12

Hi everyone, I'd like to try growing some small tomato plants indoors this winter. I have my eye on Red Robin and found a place which sells live plants a few states away. But I'm a little nervous about having live plants (especially tomatoes) shipped in January. Our temps will be high 20s/low 30s over the next few days and they'll go Priority. Someone will be home during the day to take them in immediately.

Any experience with shipping live plants in winter? Would I be better off starting from seed? The reason I'm considering plants is to get going a little sooner with tomatoes.

Thanks very much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shipping live tomato plants to WI in January?

The plants will freeze enroute. You'd be much safer just sprouting seeds indoors under lights. Red Robbins are small and nice and can grow nicely sprouted in early January under lights. They are indeterminates and you can place them outside when your weather warms and they will produce all summer and then bring them back indoors in fall. I have had 3 that have lived like that for 3 years now.
~tom

o

Ok, thanks Tom! I think you're probably right. I'll just get them going under lights. Are they indeterminate? The descriptions I've seen say determinate.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/74494/

o

lol, I think you're right. I get tiny tims and red robbins and all those nursery rhimes mixed up.
~tom

o

Well, I'm glad I decided to go with seeds. They emailed me back to say they didn't have any tomato plants and "maybe" would have some in a few months. I wish they'd update their website to reflect that, it would have saved me trouble. Good thing I didn't enter my credit card number!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here