Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gardenias, O. Fragrns, Camellia, and Winter sweet all survived14F

Posted by kaihui Z7 VA (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 13, 08 at 0:19

We had one night that dropped to 14F. I was worried the plants that are cold hardy to zone 7. However, they all survived very well without any damage.

Those photos were taken after the cold snap. The first one is O. Fragrans. (don't know the name as I bought it from local Lowes. I guess it is Fudingzhu. It is a 4 season one. Fragrance is weak). The second photo is Gardenia. (don't know the either. Lowes product as well. It looks like a Chuck Hayes)

Kai

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gardenias, O. Fragrns, Camellia, and Winter sweet all survive

Nice looking and healthy plants. The right location at shelter area and snow cover would help to prevent cold damage. I always feel that duration of the cold is another factor in the equation.

o

"I always feel that duration of the cold is another factor in the equation"

It sure is.

Temp here gets single digit for some years, and even negative numbers in rare occasions. So far so good, but I am getting my finger crossed.

Kai

o

WOW, your plants look great!! I'd love it if I could overwinter gardenias, or even camellia's for that matter. What nice plants! :)

o

Your plants are very nice and healthy! Amazing it survived that low tempts. I live in Florida and have 3 newly planted gardenias and one night over two weeks ago, we had a freeze and I covered mine, just because I didn't want to lose them. The tag said 20 degrees, but I was too afraid to take a chance, especially because I had just planted them recently. Glad to know they made it without the slightest damage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here