Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetmichelia

Strongest scented Honeysuckle?

sweetmichelia
14 years ago

Which honeysuckle is the strongest wafting? Or strongly scented? Pictures are welcome, I live in Chino, CA

Comments (8)

• User
    14 years ago

The strongest scented honeysuckle is japanese honeysuckle.
    This plant is extremely invasive and kills other plants and trees around it.
    Please do not plant this honeysuckle.
    If you want frangrance that is really strong try another vine.
    There are really fragrant wisteria, which you might like.
    Others will also give suggestions.
    Don't plant japanese honeysuckle, no matter how tempting it is.

• mbuckmaster
    14 years ago

In my opinion, Japanese honeysuckle really isn't worth the hassle of taking care of it...that outstanding fragrance only lasts as long as the blooms do, which is 3-4 weeks (I'd imagine less in an arid climate). And regardless of whether it's technically invasive or not in your area, the berries it produces can be eaten by birds and easily transported to another area where it may become so. So michaell's recommendation to plant it, while technically accurate, is still not really sound ecological advice.

There are lots of other varieties and cultivars of lonicera that are fragrant and have MUCH longer bloom times. My favorite here in NC is the native Lonicera heckrottii, 'Goldflame' honeysuckle. It blooms prolifically from March until December here, and attracts hummingbirds as a bonus. It's not nearly as fragrant as its invasive Japanese cousin, but I figure if you even out the bloom time with the fragrance, it evens out...9-10 months of fairly fragrant honeysuckle is better than 3-4 weeks of intensely fragrant honeysuckle in my book! There are lots of others too, some with interesting foliage and berries for the birds as well. Good luck to you!...and please don't be tempted to buy lonicera japonica.

• sweetmichelia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all for your facts and thoughts, I ended up planting Pink Jasmine... it's pretty, smells good and grows fast to cover a chain link fence. Thank you again

• sweetmichelia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

found 2 honeysuckle plants onthe the half price table at Lowes... one purple leaf and the original japonica, they are growing great, if they get out of control I will keep trimming it, I love the smell of honeysuckle.

• mbuckmaster
    14 years ago

"If" they get out of control....ha! Invest in the highest quality pruning shears you can find, because you'll be using them constantly. Or save and buy some Roundup now--much cheaper in the long run.

• mike519
    14 years ago

To All,

Watch for the black berrys. Pick them before birds scatter them. One positive aspect? is that local deer browse the L.japonica foliage during winter, reducing damage to choicer things.

If your climate allows them, Etruscan Honeysuckle and Shakespeares English Woodbine are two more choices for fragrant vining Loniceras.

Shrubby Lonicera fragrantissima has a great lemony scent on warm winter days, unfortunately it is another extremely weedy species. Good news is that its hybrid 'Purpusii',which smells just as good, rarely produces berries here and in 30 years there have been no seedlings from them here.

Mike519

• User
    14 years ago

By the way, Round up doesn't kill Japanese honeysuckle.
    I tried, believe me I tried. I choped, I sprayed, I cut it out of the bushes and trees it was smothering, and still it came back with a vengence.
    This was when I lived in PA.
    I moved.
    I don't have it here, and never will.
    Enough said.