Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dpolson37

Home Depot selling gardenias

dpolson37
16 years ago

Seems like a fresh shipment of healthy gardenias arrived at the Alexandria Home Depot. I broke down and bought one so everyone keep their fingers crossed for the gardenia to continue thriving.

{{gwi:781986}}

There are actually buds on this 4 inch potted gardenia. The larger potted gardenias had blooms and smelled wonderful. Figured I would try my luck at the smaller one first.

{{gwi:781988}}

Comments (9)

• puglvr1
    16 years ago

That's a nice plant dpolson37, with blooms even, that's great!! Do you know what variety it is?

I actually bought two plants from Home Depot also appx. 6 or 7 weeks ago. They were the standard(tree) grafted Miami Supreme, I live in florida and we have problems with nematodes so they recommend the grafted variety for us. I planted one in the ground and planted one in a clay pot. Also my daughter gave me a potted dwarf "radicans" for Christmas, hopefully I can keep at least one of them alive, LOL...

Good luck with your gardenia and update us with pics when it blooms, hopefully I can get mine to bloom?

• ankraras
    16 years ago

Some times we do have problem culturing and growing and Gardenia is no different. I have a few but somehow they appear to refuse to even show a sign of any buds for me right now. I do miss that fragrance as soon as I step out of the door.

{{gwi:68416}}

• puglvr1
    16 years ago

Hi ankraras,

All your plants are very pretty and healthy. Definitely one of the reasons we try to grow these plants, the elusive sweet fragrant flowers. I'm sure yours will bloom soon, they are way too pretty not to... Thanks for the great pictures.

• dpolson37
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ankraras, wow, am I ever impressed with your gardenias. If/when I move to Colorado maybe there is hope that I can still grow gardenias. You are a bit further south, but still get dry air like I'd get in Colorado.

Puglvr1, Veitchii is the variety from the tag on the plant. I doubt they get many different varieties in Northern Virginia, but I'll be checking back at Home Depot as the season progresses.

Happy Growing.

• ankraras
    16 years ago

Greating puglvr1;- I just thought it would be nice to just post a few pics and now I need to learn more about my new gadget. I am so happy you like the photos. Many Thanks for your kind comments!

dpolson37;- When I think of Colorado I think of John Denver's Rocky "Mountain High". I have never been there. Funny, one of our acquaintances is from there. She was describing how beautiful that it is. Something Arizona and Colorado have in common is the gorgeous scenery and red rocks.

{{gwi:68416}}

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

My Home Depot has a fresh shipment of big 4" gardenias too but the idiots put them outside. They are all dead but they don't show it yet. I'm sure they will be black in a week. Much too cold still here for them to be outside.

• jeelli
    16 years ago

We had 4" Gardenias at HD here in CT, but unfortunately they had about an half inch of water on the surface!!!! :-( Same with some beautiful large leaved decorative Fig trees.

• tropicaldcguy
    16 years ago

Hey there,

I live in Alexandria, too, and planted two gardenia bushes in my yard three years ago, and both are doing great. They survive the winter with no problem and bloom fairly well. They're in part shade.

They're hardy gardenia, though. I don't think they're as pretty but they still smell great. Here's a picture of them.

I'm waiting for the day that Home Depot gets something really great, like brugmansia or plumeria.

Patrick

Here is a link that might be useful:

• puglvr1
    16 years ago

Nice flowers Patrick, thanks for the picture. Different flowers from what I'm used to seeing, but very pretty...