Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ChangbingJingui osmanthus

Posted by lou_midlothian_tx z8 DFW Tx (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 27, 12 at 8:01

Does anyone have it? I just noticed that someone is selling it on eBay.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ChangbingJingui osmanthus

Yes, I heard about this group. Changbing refers to the longer petiole of each leaf. Jingui means the flower is yellowish. It is a known variation of the Osmanthus Fragrans. These are small trees with single up-right trunk. The trunk is very straight. The leaves are shiny. The top of the tree is a tight oval shape. The flowers are not the most powerfully fragrant. The blooming period is September and October. The strength of these is their toughness. They are disease resistant and good for city streets. Another strength is that they are strongly tree-like. Even seedlings show straight up-ward growth habit.

o

Thanks. The seller is also selling rixianggui (a souped up version of Fudingzhu with more powerful fragrance) if anyone is interested.

o

Wow i've been hearing about rixianggui a few years ago (probably on this board) so I'm glad to hear that it's now available. Do you have the direct link or maybe the seller name on ebay? Thanks! : )

o
found it!

ah nvm, i've found it! :o)

o

I just got rixianggui plants yesterday from that seller. They appear to be rooted cuttings? About a foot tall. Let's hope they make it through!

o

rixianggui (Daily Fragrance) is new and very popular. They bloom 200 days a year with very strong scent.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Snasxs, thanks for the pictures. They start blooming pretty early so that's good. I don't have to wait a long time to get a sniff off it!

o

Thanks for the info on these being available on eBay. Since they are shipped from China, approximately how long did it take to arrive in the U.S. Also, how was the condition of the plant when it arrived? Thanks in advance.

o

Absolutely beautiful. I believe I will be adding rixianggui to my wish list. I would love to have a frangrant home year around! Thank you for that information.

o

Hello,
I also bought Rixianggui and Zaohong on ebay -apparently from the same seller- and was wondering on the state and health of the plants as mine haven't arrived yet..(I'm new by the way, this is my first post and I'm very happy to have found this forum, it almost makes me feel less weird for having turned my house into a jungle!)

o

I'd love to some pictures when yours arrive fenius! :)

And no, you certainly are not weird! I have more than a jungle at home. Lol. :o)

o

Hi kemistry,
It's been over two weeks and they haven't arrived yet.. I start to fear they got lost, did you order too?

o

Hi Fenius, sorry to hear that! Does the seller provide a tracking number that you can check online? I haven't ordered mine yet. But once I ordered some plants from Thailand, that order arrived in 10 days.

o

No, there isn't, they usually don't have tracking numbers from asia. My orders from thailand and malaysia also never took more than 10-12 days. Oh, well I'll let next week pass before I despair..

o

A word of caution, with fancy Chinese name, these specimens may be a very common sweet olive in U.S. You might want to ask the Latin name of its spices and its family to understand if you are getting some rare foreign varieties.

o

They have tracking numbers, just ask the person who sent them. The biggest issue is getting through customs. It is hit or miss. I lost a shipment that way.

Regarding the "fancy Chinese name", they are cultivars of the common sweet olive (osmanthus fragrans) with different color flowers, flowering times, flower sizes though I am sure there are some translation issues.

o

Yes, thanks I did ask and he gave me one he just didn't note it in the order details..I'm crossing my fingers then!! But you lost a shipment from him specifically? I think he sends them bareroot..

o

• Posted by ltruett Zone, 9 Houston (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 8, 12 at 14:55

Yes I ordered from the same person. Customs found some sort of insect. Disappointing but I knew the risks.

o

Hello,
I just wanted to update you, my osmanthus plants arrived very dry (probably due to holiday delays ecc) and I have them in intensive care but it doesn't look good.. If they had arrived earlier (and still green) they seem rather good sized and well rooted.. Mail ordering sucks!

o

Hello, I have been away a long time! I imported several varieties of Osmanthus fragrans in early Spring 2011. Several were lost from shipping stress, but about 2/3 survived. I planted these outside in good garden soil and kept them well watered and mulched. In November I sprayed them all with Wilt-Pruf, wrapped them in bubble wrap, and crossed my fingers. All survived.

I ordered more this year, again lost several while trying to keep them alive in pots while waiting for the weather to warm up. It seems they do better after being put into the ground. I hope that by using mulch, Wilt-Pruf and bubble wrap protection for a few winters, they will established well enough to stay alive for years.

But I did lose Changbing jingui...

o

Hi Rick,
may I ask who did you order these from?

o

Hi Fenius,

I think I should first check with my Chinese contact. I am somewhat reluctant to post contact information on the open Internet. I will ask if they are willing to have you get in touch with them.

Rick

o

UPDATE:

Two rixianggui plants are still alive. It was tough to keep them alive here in Texas when weather isn't cooperating while they recover week long in the box with bare roots. So far no flowers so I am hoping they are still rixianggui plants. I lost too many so I may not try this again at all unless a commercial growers in USA start growing them of all kinds.

It is a risk you take if you really want to get certain osmanthus plants from China. Ironically, it's a lot easier to get Montezuma-Bald cypress hybrids from China via a person that works there on projects for nurseries but not osmanthus plants. He also badly wants to bring osmanthus plants to USA but I guess they won't let him?

o

Hi Lou, good to see you here. I'm glad to hear you have your two Rixianagguis hanging in there.

I still have one Rixianggui doing well, it made it through last year's relatively mild Pennsylvania winter outside (with protection). Other cultivars that are doing okay so far are Yueyuehong, Tianxiangtaige, Huangyuanhong, Zaohong, Dahuadangui, Jinqiu, Yulinglong and Zhuangyuanhong. Fugui is barely alive, I expect to lose it. I lost Zhushadangui, Shushengjingui and Changbingjingui. Win some, lose some! Gotta keep up the mulching, etc. for a few years, then see what happens when I let them fend for themselves. They ring a hardscape patio which has a low wall affording some winter protection, too. Fingers crossed...

I may try propagating them in the future, but they are all rather small for taking cuttings from right now.

Rick

o

Hi rickl144. How are your osmanthus doing now, and in what hardness zone do you plant your osmanthus?

I got a rixianggui and a yanhonggui from China last year, and kept them in door, so I do not know if they can doing well outdoor in a Z6a-b zone.

But my dangui does well outdoor with some protection last winter.

So I am realy curious for how well your plants did last winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here