Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lou_spicewood_tx

ChangbingJingui osmanthus

lou_spicewood_tx
12 years ago

Does anyone have it? I just noticed that someone is selling it on eBay.

Comments (51)

• lou_spicewood_tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. The seller is also selling rixianggui (a souped up version of Fudingzhu with more powerful fragrance) if anyone is interested.

• kemistry
    12 years ago

Wow i've been hearing about rixianggui a few years ago (probably on this board) so I'm glad to hear that it's now available. Do you have the direct link or maybe the seller name on ebay? Thanks! : )

• kemistry
    12 years ago

ah nvm, i've found it! :o)

• lou_spicewood_tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just got rixianggui plants yesterday from that seller. They appear to be rooted cuttings? About a foot tall. Let's hope they make it through!

• lou_spicewood_tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Snasxs, thanks for the pictures. They start blooming pretty early so that's good. I don't have to wait a long time to get a sniff off it!

• PRiSMATiK
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info on these being available on eBay. Since they are shipped from China, approximately how long did it take to arrive in the U.S. Also, how was the condition of the plant when it arrived? Thanks in advance.

• growing_rene2
    12 years ago

Absolutely beautiful. I believe I will be adding rixianggui to my wish list. I would love to have a frangrant home year around! Thank you for that information.

• fenius
    12 years ago

Hello,
    I also bought Rixianggui and Zaohong on ebay -apparently from the same seller- and was wondering on the state and health of the plants as mine haven't arrived yet..(I'm new by the way, this is my first post and I'm very happy to have found this forum, it almost makes me feel less weird for having turned my house into a jungle!)

• kemistry
    12 years ago

I'd love to some pictures when yours arrive fenius! :)

And no, you certainly are not weird! I have more than a jungle at home. Lol. :o)

• fenius
    11 years ago

Hi kemistry,
    It's been over two weeks and they haven't arrived yet.. I start to fear they got lost, did you order too?

• kemistry
    11 years ago

Hi Fenius, sorry to hear that! Does the seller provide a tracking number that you can check online? I haven't ordered mine yet. But once I ordered some plants from Thailand, that order arrived in 10 days.

• fenius
    11 years ago

No, there isn't, they usually don't have tracking numbers from asia. My orders from thailand and malaysia also never took more than 10-12 days. Oh, well I'll let next week pass before I despair..

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

A word of caution, with fancy Chinese name, these specimens may be a very common sweet olive in U.S. You might want to ask the Latin name of its spices and its family to understand if you are getting some rare foreign varieties.

• ltruett
    11 years ago

They have tracking numbers, just ask the person who sent them. The biggest issue is getting through customs. It is hit or miss. I lost a shipment that way.

Regarding the "fancy Chinese name", they are cultivars of the common sweet olive (osmanthus fragrans) with different color flowers, flowering times, flower sizes though I am sure there are some translation issues.

• fenius
    11 years ago

Yes, thanks I did ask and he gave me one he just didn't note it in the order details..I'm crossing my fingers then!! But you lost a shipment from him specifically? I think he sends them bareroot..

• ltruett
    11 years ago

Yes I ordered from the same person. Customs found some sort of insect. Disappointing but I knew the risks.

• fenius
    11 years ago

Hello,
    I just wanted to update you, my osmanthus plants arrived very dry (probably due to holiday delays ecc) and I have them in intensive care but it doesn't look good.. If they had arrived earlier (and still green) they seem rather good sized and well rooted.. Mail ordering sucks!

• rickl144
    11 years ago

Hello, I have been away a long time! I imported several varieties of Osmanthus fragrans in early Spring 2011. Several were lost from shipping stress, but about 2/3 survived. I planted these outside in good garden soil and kept them well watered and mulched. In November I sprayed them all with Wilt-Pruf, wrapped them in bubble wrap, and crossed my fingers. All survived.

I ordered more this year, again lost several while trying to keep them alive in pots while waiting for the weather to warm up. It seems they do better after being put into the ground. I hope that by using mulch, Wilt-Pruf and bubble wrap protection for a few winters, they will established well enough to stay alive for years.

But I did lose Changbing jingui...

• fenius
    11 years ago

Hi Rick,
    may I ask who did you order these from?

• rickl144
    11 years ago

Hi Fenius,

I think I should first check with my Chinese contact. I am somewhat reluctant to post contact information on the open Internet. I will ask if they are willing to have you get in touch with them.

Rick

• lou_spicewood_tx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

UPDATE:

Two rixianggui plants are still alive. It was tough to keep them alive here in Texas when weather isn't cooperating while they recover week long in the box with bare roots. So far no flowers so I am hoping they are still rixianggui plants. I lost too many so I may not try this again at all unless a commercial growers in USA start growing them of all kinds.

It is a risk you take if you really want to get certain osmanthus plants from China. Ironically, it's a lot easier to get Montezuma-Bald cypress hybrids from China via a person that works there on projects for nurseries but not osmanthus plants. He also badly wants to bring osmanthus plants to USA but I guess they won't let him?

• rickl144
    11 years ago

Hi Lou, good to see you here. I'm glad to hear you have your two Rixianagguis hanging in there.

I still have one Rixianggui doing well, it made it through last year's relatively mild Pennsylvania winter outside (with protection). Other cultivars that are doing okay so far are Yueyuehong, Tianxiangtaige, Huangyuanhong, Zaohong, Dahuadangui, Jinqiu, Yulinglong and Zhuangyuanhong. Fugui is barely alive, I expect to lose it. I lost Zhushadangui, Shushengjingui and Changbingjingui. Win some, lose some! Gotta keep up the mulching, etc. for a few years, then see what happens when I let them fend for themselves. They ring a hardscape patio which has a low wall affording some winter protection, too. Fingers crossed...

I may try propagating them in the future, but they are all rather small for taking cuttings from right now.

Rick

• ermazi
    10 years ago

Hi rickl144. How are your osmanthus doing now, and in what hardness zone do you plant your osmanthus?

I got a rixianggui and a yanhonggui from China last year, and kept them in door, so I do not know if they can doing well outdoor in a Z6a-b zone.

But my dangui does well outdoor with some protection last winter.

So I am realy curious for how well your plants did last winter.

• Jimi Chu
    7 years ago

Hi rickl144 and ermazi, how are your osmanthus doing now after 4/5 years? Are they flowering? How's the scent? I'm trying to find rixiang gui, yanhong gui, and Zhuangyuanhong, they are so hard to find in the US. Is there any chance you guys can share some cuttings? In my hometown in Jiangsu zaoyin and wanyin gui are very popular, wind carry the sweet scent for miles in autumn. I remember when I was a teen I ride bicycle to school and smell the scent for miles on.

• rickl144
    7 years ago

Hi Jimi and ermazi, I imported several varieties of Osmanthus fragrans from China, but most of them could not stand my zone 6b winters. All but two died. Rixianggui and Tianxiangtaige are still alive, and are only about 18" tall because the winters keep killing them back. Try this website: http://m.cymbidium-orchid.com/, scroll down to the Osmanthus section. Let me know if this helps.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    Original Author
    7 years ago

My Rixianggui is doing very well. Maybe too well because of unexpected fast growth in a tight spot. LOTS of flowers. I have orange rebloomer one that is even faster growing. It blooms a lot too. Fudingzhu is doing pretty good too. You can get orange rebloomer at https://www.almostedenplants.com/shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?Search=Yes&sppp=24&page=1&Keyword=osmanthus&category=ALL&highprice=&lowprice=&allwords=osmanthus&exact=&atleast=&without=&cprice=&searchfields= There are others as well but no Rixianggui. It was very difficult to nurse them back from near death. They were small rooted cuttings that I found on ebay. There are other culitvars from Almost Eden as well.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Rick, I went to the link you posted. Interesting. Unfortunately, none of the cultivars are in stock. I'd like to buy some of them!

• rickl144
    7 years ago

Hi Lou, it's been a while. That website I shared is the rather new site of the folks in China I purchased my original trees from. I didn't know none were in stock, hopefully they will have some around Feb or March. I recall they prefer to ship while the trees are still dormant, due to the need to have bare root shipping to meet phytosanitary regulations.

• myermike_1micha
    7 years ago

Where is this site or where do I order these from? I would love some)

• Jimi Chu
    7 years ago

Hi, lou_midlothian_tx, glad to know your rixianggui is doing so well. I checked the link you provided, looks like they don't have the yueyuehong in stock. I've got a Fodingzhu, still trying to keep it alive after shipping. Can I get a cutting from your rixianggui?

• Jimi Chu
    7 years ago

Hi rickl144, thanks for sharing the link. I've contacted the seller, hopefully he replies me back.

• ermazi
    7 years ago

I have well grafted Rixiang Gui at NJ, Harrison.

• ermazi
    7 years ago

I means I have a grafted Rixiang Gui spare. And my large RIxiang Gui has been put on ground my back yard for several years. With some simple protection it is doing well on the 6a/6b boundary.

• myermike_1micha
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Ermaz can I buy it from you ? I can give you my email. I would really appreciate that ! Do you get lots of cold and snow there? How do you protect it ? Thank you

None of mine bloom much at all. I'm about ready to give up. I would love one that actualy does bloom often. it means a lot

• ermazi
    7 years ago

If you plant Rixing Gui in a container and put it in some cold and sunny place in your house, it will be easy to handle. And if it has a period to dormant in winter, it will flower better in summer. You can have a Rixing, but you have to pick it up. I do not mail it.

• ermazi
    7 years ago

rickl144

A trick to make Osmanthus more cold hardy is graft the Osmanthus on Chonanthus, or Fringe tree.

• ermazi
    7 years ago

Jimi Chu

I do not suppose you can really rooting Guihua from cutting though professional guys can. A better and easier way is to graft it on Chonanthus.

• myermike_1micha
    7 years ago

Then thanks anyways since I have been caring for my Aunt that has cancer and my sick father..I can't drive there from here in Massachusetts...I was going to pay for shipping and the plant if you were to mail it..It's ok. Maybe I will find one some day on E-bay..(

• Jimi Chu
    7 years ago

@mikerno_1micha

I have made contact with the seller ricl144 mentioned, he has those varieties he listed in stock, you can buy from him he actually prefer to ship to east coast since CA is very strict about live plants. Osmanthus from China will bloom much better in zones with a cold winter. Only those four season re-bloomer will do well in warm climates. If you grow them outdoor in MA, you will need to provide some winter protections. Usually they are very cold hardy.

• Maggie (Vancouver, BC 8a)
    7 years ago

Is there still a seller out there on ebay?

• myermike_1micha
    7 years ago

Jimi...

Does that seller ship to the U.S?????

Can a fukishu and the regular Osmantus Fragrans be planted in the ground up in New England if I protect it!?? I can get temps as low as -0 and so,e winters above that with lots of snow.That would be awesome...I can cover the entire trees with burlap if so!!! Please, let me know asap.

• Jimi Chu
    7 years ago

@mikerno_1micha

yes he ships to US, I'm in CA. he prefer to ship to east coast actually. I've seen people in the chinese osmanthus forum grow it outdoors in very cold climate, protection from cold wind and some cover is needed. According to literature, osmanthus can only sustain 15 F cold temperature.

• myermike_1micha
    7 years ago

Jimi, I just bought one from him through paypal!!! I am feeling good based on your opinion...Thank you so much. I will keep you updeted Jimi..Thank you

• dou028
    7 years ago

osmanthus can be propagated by rooting. it's not difficult.

• ermazi
    7 years ago

Osmanthus can sustain 10 F itself if planted on ground. If grafted on Chomanthus, then it can sustain 5F. However, that is only for matured plant, the newly planted one need protection for the first three years.

• myermike_1micha
    7 years ago

Do you think if I cover my tree root area with a a thick layer of mulch and then bubble wrap to protect the top part of the tree it will survive?

I can get temps as cold as -6...But I am thinking that if I cover it very well and keep it well insulated it should be fine? Does it have to be exposed to light or will it go completely dormant so that I can wrap it up in darkness for the winter?

• ermazi
    7 years ago

-5F, that is too cold. I am not sure if it can do even with protection. Remember, even good insulation does not raise temperature since there is not any hot source. Light is not important during dormant, but kind of ventilation is neede.

• myermike_1micha
    7 years ago

Thank you!

• skysong4
    7 years ago

Hi everyone! I'm interested in buying rixianggui from that seller, but I'm a little hesitant because of the price (and I've already accidentally killed a sweet olive I bought from a US vendor). It'll be $15 for the plant (not bad), but $25 to ship it... $40 for one plant is a little much for my budget right now, unless it's absolutely worth the cost. How large/hardy are the plants you received? Was it worth the cost? Is there a big/noticeable difference between it and fudingzhu? I'm looking to grow it as a houseplant. Thanks!

Sponsored
Native Plant Scapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Your Friendly Native Plant Landscape Designers in Loudoun County