Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fenius

Blooming in January!!

fenius
10 years ago

Finally!! It's been a looong while since I have something to start a thread!
hamamelis pallida

lonicera purpusii

and lastly the best scent of the three, abeliophyllum distichum roseum ( rather supposed to be roseum, it looks the white kind though..)

This post was edited by fenius on Sat, Jan 4, 14 at 11:52

Comments (25)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Happy New Year!!!

Here is one of my Plumeria blooming under T-5 lights...

Named " Sparky". From a tree ( Bud Guillot) Still not registered by the PSA .
    I'm tickled tho!

Have a wonderful night!

Beautiful blooms, Fenius!

Laura

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Fri, Jan 10, 14 at 10:50

• yaslan72
    10 years ago

Wow, Laura, those are beautiful and in the middle of winter too; how exquisite and magical! Now, I want more plumerias lol and I am definitely gonna run to the store and invest in a T-5 lighting system.

Cool and unique plants, Fenius :-)

Happy winter !

Bo

10 years ago

Hi Bo!

So nice to see you!!!

Makes me happy to see you here!

Glad you like the blooms... Here is another just for you!

Fuzzy ' s Red Rose

You will love the T-5 lights..

The good care! Xo

Laura

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

Snap Fenius

I to have a hamamelis never smelt a fragrance of it :(

I also have lonicera but mine is Fragrantissma any one have both?

the plant it self still in full leave in jan

cattleya

Robert i also got the book you mentioned for christmas The Essence Of Paradise only trouble is makes me want to visit Logees greenhouse :)

• fenius
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys!! Beautiful plumerias Laura!!
    Hey Brian, it's fortunate my sister's husband is a house guest right now and he explained to me what snap is!(he's from the lake district btw) It's strange your hamamelis has no fragrance, I know they don't have a strong scent so when I looked for mine I had in mind to find one of the strongest scented ones, but still I don't recall any not scented at all... maybe it's a strange hybrid.. About the fragrantissima, I wanted that one too! But it wasn't to be found at the time & I read on the net that its fragrance could be more intense than the purpusii, but the scent must be the same kind.. If I manage to root any cuttings I'll send you one to compare..Mine has no leaves at all right now. Robert's fav book has made me very jealous of logees too...
    Btw, the situation inside is reaching an alarming point
    (fortunately my bf hasn't seen this yet!)

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

I'm so jealous of all these blooms!
    The only new bloom I have is a Better-Gro orchid Brassavola nodosa hybrid ('Remar' x 'Mas Mejor').
    Its scent is more minty than my straight species. It smelled stronger when it was blooming outside during the summer.
    Still enjoying the tuberoses and my brug 'Cherub' has been blooming down in the basement but it's so packed down there I can't even get close enough to the blooms to sniff them. Laugh.

I'm glad you guys have been enjoying my book suggestion.
    I too want to some day visit Logee's!
    Every time I go to NYC I keep thinking surely there's a way I can sneak over and buy as many plants as possible. ;)

Fenius,

I've read that Abeliophyllum distichum (white forsythia) has an almond like scent. Do you agree?
    It's one of those shrubs I'd like to one day shove somewhere in my garden. :)

Laura,

So glad Fuzzy's Red Rose is blooming! I'd ask for a scent report but I bet it doesn't have much since its blooming under lights but maybe I'm wrong?

-Robert

10 years ago

Almost forgot.

Fenius,

I can totally relate to uncontrollable vines! Your pic made me laugh.
    My Passiflora 'Preciosa' has totally taken over the kitchen window and is quickly running out of room to grow.
    I can't bear to prune it but I suppose if I can't corral it I might just have to. :)

-Robert

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

Hi fenius and Robert your pics made me laugh especially going around that wire:D I dont really have any vines as such apart from my hoyas there not what i would call realy quick growing so easy to keep them in check
    I have seen purpusii for sale but as the flower looks the same as fragrantissima did not know if it would be worth buying but my shopping has already started ;)
    1 Abeliophyllum distichum Roseum
    2 Edgeworthia Chrysantha Grandiflora
    3 Azalea Daviesii * Deciduous Knaphill Rhododendron - Highly Fragrant
    4 RIBES ODORATUM
    5 MICHELIA chapensis
    i also would like to try Mali Pikul but i wait for the weather to warm up for that one
    and again beautiful Brassavola nodosa Robert still no sign of a flower on mine :( growing but no flowers

10 years ago

Hello Everyone!

Robert you are correct, no fragrance under lights.. Bummer for me! I wish they would have decided to bloom in the heat of the summer, but you know how that goes...

Here is my Princess Victoria. It usually has a streaking in the flowers, but not under lights.. It is still pretty to me. Light fragrance, very faint tho.

Hope you had a wonderful holiday!

Laura

10 years ago

Laura,

Your plumie is lovely!

Guys,
    We can get a glimpse of Logee's through the web. :)

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: Logee's visit

• yaslan72
    10 years ago

Laura, your plumerias are beautiful and always puts a big smile on my face !

I have my list ready for Logee's and cannot wait till spring to put order through. :-)

Stay warm and safe friends!

Bo

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

Thankyou for the link Robert :)

Beautiful photo Laura

10 years ago

Hello Everyone!!!

Thank you Fenius, always enjoy your pics!! Just beautiful!

Hi Robert... I haven't seen " the book ". That would lead me down the ( or up the path) to Logees. This could be dangerous for the marriage! Lol! ;-)

Happy New Year, Fragrant! Thank you as well. You have some gorgeous plants and blooms. Always a pleasure!!!

Bo... You always make me smile with your colorful spirit!! Hope the cold isn't to much for you all .. We had temps into the single digits and with wind chills in the -12 here on the east coast. I'm worried about my large palms. They are hardy, but not to those low temps. I shall see in the following months. Hope everyone is doing well!

Take good care, everyone!!!

Laura

10 years ago

Thai surprise!

Take care,

Laura

10 years ago

Laura,

Another gorgeous pic! Thanks so much for sharing them with us.

I thought of you the other day when I was down in the basement watering plants. I noticed I've been over watering my plumies so I flipped out and put some rocks under them to tilt the pots to the side. They're in the gritty mix so I don't think I'll have any issues but I kicked myself for being so stupid. ;)
    I even brought up Kimi Moragne since it's small and placed it in my bedroom. I'd hate to kill that one! I've been waiting too long to sniff it.

The book that you might like is by Tovah Martin and is titled The Essence of Paradise: Fragrant Plants for Indoor Gardens but I gotta warn ya...you might just end up collecting more plants! Laugh.

-Robert

10 years ago

Got a two buck primrose from the grocery that has a lovely light apricot like perfume.
    They don't last long for me but I enjoy them while I can. :)

-Robert

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

Lol grow almost like weeds here :P stunning photos both of you thankyou for sharing :)

10 years ago

Hi Fragrant, Robert!!!

Lol about bringing Kimi upstairs in the bedroom!! I don't blame you one bit, but I think that would be the last straw with my hubby!! The trees are In One bedroom, living room and upstairs under lights.. OH.. Greenhouse too! ;-)

It is scary when you think you have overwatered, but In The gritty mix, it adds an extra protection Against problems of over watering . I still watch even In The gritty...

Glad you were thinking of me.. That was nice, all I can think about is that you were smiling as you were looking at all of the trees and thinking that I am in the same boat as you? Lol....

Thanks for the info on the book, I will take a look at it and dream... You know me well!!! If I start a new addiction.. I'll be looking for a new home and Husband!!! LMAO!!! Or..hmmmm?

Thanks Robert!! Love your pic.. Wow, gorgeous!!!

Take care everyone!

Laura

• fenius
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ok since we're doing this, I have an even cheaper find that smells in the afternoon only!!

• fenius
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Finally spring is here!
    prunus mume beni chidori ( love the scent!)

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

Hey fenius , your prunus mume has bloomed way before mine think i have a few weeks to go for both my white and red forms.
    Beautiful photo and i to love the fragrance but i love the white form more :) beni chidori is often used as bonsai which i have (start running out of room then bonsai it ;) )

• fenius
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Robert, I almost forgot, yes I would describe the abeliophyllum scent almondy but a perfumy kind...
    Frag, so the white prunus mume has a better scent? Which cultivar is it?? I liked the pink one too, I think the one called betty clark..
    Beautiful pics everyone, this is the best winter yet!

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

Yes for me personally the white form has a better scent i believe my white form is Unryu or it could be Touji as most of the flowers are white but every so often it throws out a few half white half pink flowers.

My SWEET BOX is starting to flower

Chimonanthus as you can tell been pretty wet here

african gardenia in flower again :)

and Brassidium shooting star black gold honey fragrance

10 years ago

Another... ;-)

Strong floral fragrance

NOID Yellow, it reminds me of lemon chiffon..

Laura

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Absolutely beautiful everyone and I'll bet the scents are to die for..I have none of most of these plants..Time to catch up here and in the fragrant plant department..Time to make room for more thanks to all the enablers here...lol

Hoping you are all holding out well for winter..It's been long and dreadful here! seems like I have not had warm plant weather for months now..Getting tired of this..
    But then we could be on the other half of the country that has not had rain for months!

Mike