Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olympia_gardener

All my baby plants are dying

olympia_gardener
11 years ago

Hello all my friends. Happy New Year. I miss you guys/gals and I am kind of back... haven't catching up all the forum yet...

After spent much time busy working and traveling... crisis not end completely but is under control... I finally, couldn't stand the stress, and the -20c cold weather. I flight down to Sarasota to a friend of mine yacht for a overdue vocation. Went out to the open ocean, did some fishing, watching boats racing... Boy, that is so nice... love the blue water, the ocean breeze, ,quietness of surroundings, and sense of freedom. Just fly back yesterday,and I brought the Fl weather back with me... It is in 60s here in Chicago!!! unbelievable. My trees are going to have hormonal disorder!

Anyway, vocation is nice, my plants are dead or dying at home....:(
My sweet Olive only have 5 leaves left, TG, these are 5 green leaves, very precious! My Citrus are half dead, tree Jasmines are in between condition, orchids seem OK, But most of the my babies show sign of unhappiness... OM, what did I do? I am guilty of left them home. I hope the weather warm up and I can move them of soon... They love the gentle breeze and open sky...

Comments (7)

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

OG!

I've been wondering where you've been! Glad you're back.
    So sorry to hear about your plants but at least you're taking care of yourself by going on a much needed vacation.
    We can always buy more plants, right? ;)
    Your trip sounds amazing.
    Can't wait for summer to return!

-Robert

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Oh my goodness, what an emotional journey, reading your post! It's quite a story, I found a great review of it:

"I laughed, I cried! I couldn't stop thinking about it after I left the theater computer!
    - anonymous"

Awww, seriously sorry to hear about your plants though. You never did say what the problem was though. Got too dry? Hope a nice gulp of water brings at least some of them back to life if possible!!

"They love the gentle breeze and open sky... "

Man, who (or what plant) doesn't!? Two thumbs up to that. Sending you peaceful vibes.

• roseyd
    11 years ago

OG, I'm so glad you're back. We'd all started questioning where you'd disappeared to.

I thought maybe you'd decided you didn't like plants anymore and you were changing the decor at home to a green-free space.

Well, I was thinking that might be the direction I would go in soon if the spider mites and mealy bugs don't leave my plants alone...

yes (the mealy bugs have made an appearance on my tahitian gardenia this weekend) I caught about 12 of them (babies still) and smushed them in a tissue. Since then, I've been checking the leaves of my plants in that room two or three times a day. (what's that white speck?!! scrape it off and destroy... and yes, it could be dust but I'm not taking any chances)

I'm really sorry to hear about your poor plants - I really hope you got home in time to bring them back.

-Rose

• olympia_gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi, Robert, Purple, Rosey. this is the "water plants" that I dream of. No leaves, bugs. It blooms every time give it some fuel... Feed it with the green. I really need to win a lottery.

Yeah, I still love plants I have... Keep spending more buy more... The circle never ends.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Here you were livig leveda, living it up, and on the ocean and all this time I thought you got mad at my Mom for what she did for you, sending you that package..lol
    She was like, "Did I offend her with making those for her"..lol
    I said NO, she is probably keeping warm some other way.lol
    I told here she would probably be around again soon. Olympia is addicted to this forum. Once she starts feeling withdrawel, she'll be back.
    By the way, you just can't stay away from sin..Hahahha

I hope you can get tham back to health, and if not, there is always more from where they came from.
    As for Orchids, they are a tough species I tell you, thank God. Those are not cheal to replace!

Good to see you :-)))))

Mike

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Welcome back Olympia!

I will say that I can't blame you one bit for taking off and heading south...

Wish I could go there myself....

So nice to see you back but I am sorry to hear about your plants. They will come back, or like mike mentioned, there are plenty to go around between us all to get you back up and growing!

That picture of the yachts and the palms looks soooo inviting! All we need is a rum runner on the back deck and then " let the party begin". Of course we need a few fragrant blooms around for the fragrance and then the perfect sunsets....

Now you have me dreaming....

Welcome back!!

Hello to everyone!
    Hi mike... ;-)

Take care,

Laura

• fenius
    11 years ago

welcome back olympia!! We missed you!:-*