Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Fragrance surprises

What plants have you brought home for their foliage that surprised you with unexpected fragrant flowers?

Hostas with white flowers - every one I've sniffed smelled REALLY GOOD! I had about 25 different ones in OH, no purple ones allowed (I know, hard to believe.)

Caladium 'Carolyn Whorton' - it only lasted a few days, and I had to stick my head down between the leaves, but holy cow was I glad I did. I've been sticking my tush in the air if necessary to sniff Caladiums since but have had no other fragrant experiences.

Purple velvet - gynura. Never had one of these stay alive long enough to make flowers and didn't even know it could until getting the newest one. A few months after I got it, it made orange flowers that smelled BAD, as I was told they would when I asked about the forming buds. My son and DH thought it was funny, and nobody could resist a second or even third sniff as the flowers progressed. My son had a great time learning all of the words we could think of for stinky. We all agreed it was hilariously unpleasant up close, but the few flowers on the tiny plant weren't bad enough to require cutting them off. (pictured below.)

Comments (10)

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Tiffany!!! I had no idea those flower!

Wait until I show my mother. This is the ONLY plant she will like to grow and I can't find her one any where.
    She had one when she was a kid and was tramatized after she killed it.
    Since then she has never cared to much for many houseplants and now that you have posted this one, with flowers mind you. oh boy.lol

Amazing!

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

Mike,

I just saw one at Lowe's in Tulsa.
    You might check the ones in your area.
    I think they're pretty common.

-Robert

• roseyd
    11 years ago

UGH!!! talking about LOWES...

My friends know me to well. Last week, I was with my best friend at the Lowell Lowes - and, my friend had to run in to make a copy of a key.

I said, "I'll go in too - I could look around (at the plants)..."

She refused to let me go explore.

How horrible is that?!

Next day, I said to her... "you know how you've been complaining that something's killing your lemon tree, well, if' you'd let me go into Lowes garden section last night - I might have found something to treat it..."

If I make her regret saying 'no' ... next time she may give me more rein to explore. :)

Really wish I knew what plants were in that Lowes though. :)

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Robert..Thanks so much..I think you might of made my Mom's day!

Thank you sir!

Hey Rosey,,,,lol..Stink? lol

MIke

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Beautiful!!!

Laura

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Beautiful!!!

Laura

• roseyd
    11 years ago

Stink? Mike, don't be mean. Of course it stunk. I have to start my car today or my battery may not survive this cold... I may go to the lowest near me and look around.

So voila. If I can't convince my friends, I ll survive, and fly solo.

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

I would agree that some Hostas produce wonderfully scented flowers! To me, they smell rather like Lilies... and it seems to be the ones with larger white blooms that emit a stronger scent.

I'm not sure of the variety name, but we have a large Hosta that produces enormous white flowers exuding a very strong Lily scent! The flowers remind me of Amaryllids, they're so large!

Interesting looking... orange flowers on a purple plant!

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Ok Jodik..You did it! Now, you have to pack me a piece of hosta when you send me my plants! I am addicted to hosta and always looking for a new one.

I just bought four for color and the one you speak of for smell would top my collection!:-) I never smelled a Host that smelled like that!

Lowe's//I have to stay away from that place Rosey, or I will come home with an armload of more Hoya's. the only thing that stops me is to see sticky dew all over their plants signifying to me they have bugs!

Hey Laura! Hello and I hope you are avoiding these dreadful frigid temps!

Mike

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

I just read in 'The Essence of Paradise: Fragrant Plants for Indoor Gardens' that the author thinks Gynura aurantiaca's flowers smell like unrefrigerated Parmesan cheese. I laughed.
    Apparently the author's younger sister grew it as a child and petted the leaves and everything was good until the poor plant bloomed...then their mom insisted that the flower buds were nipped before they opened. :)

-Robert