Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Ok, I'm bad..A MUST have for all you fragrant buffs!

meyermike_1micha
11 years ago

You know, I was going to hold out on this fragrant species, far better than a Daphne, but I am not sure if I can even get one to perform as good in a container as compared to the ground and it's not doable up here!

So instead of holding back hard to find shrub and secret, I wanted to share. I have to say you MUST have one if you are into fragrant plants anywhere in teh zones they can thrive. So beautiful, different, unique and rare!

Lets' see the first one to get one of these..lol

Edgeworthia Chrysantha 'winter gold'.....

Here is a couple of links for info..Doesn't this plant sound like a must have?

http://fairegarden.wordpress.com/2012/03/09/edgeworthia-chrysantha/

http://www.waysidegardens.com/edgeworthia-chrysantha/p/47757/

Here is a link that might be useful: Wow Edworthia described

Comments (30)

• kemistry
    11 years ago

Mike, my local nursery has these. They are currently in bud so I'll stop by to check on its fragrance in a few weeks. You should get both --daphne and this plant--- if you have room. ;)

• leahrenee1
    11 years ago

I am intrugued but my last two "must haves" that I ordered without smelling were a major bust, so from now on I am going to attempt to stick with things I can smell in person! (You are evil though! ;) )

• fenius
    11 years ago

Mike you are killing me, there's not a moment's peace around here! Kem I'm waiting for the scent reviews before I buy it from ebay(already found it!)
    Leahrenee, I'm curious; what were the disappointments??

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

leahrenee1,

If only we had the option of sniffing before buying on all the things we want! Most of what I want I have to buy online. I just keep notes on all my disappointments so I don't end up buying them again down the road. ;)

-Robert

• fenius
    11 years ago

Maybe we should start a thread on disappointments..So far I don't have any though..

11 years ago

fenius,

You've got to be kidding? Maybe I'm just far too judgmental about plants but with so many out there and so limited space I've got to be ruthless.
    If a plant's scent doesn't make me swoon I normally get rid of it. :)
    I guess I'll have to start the thread since you don't have any. Laugh.

-Robert

• fenius
    11 years ago

Ok, maybe I have one but I can't say just yet because it only arrived today blooming so maybe it's the box, the lack of sun ecc... It's a cymbidium goeringii var. longibracteata not fully open yet..It smells funny :-( If it changes tomorrow I'll post it in "blooming"!

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Robert. I am just like you! If a plant does not live up to what I expect, out it goes..To make room for one that does of course..lol

Fenius...loolol..You know that fragrance is always in the eyes of the beholder and interpeted in everyone's point of view.
    What may stink to me may smell nice to you. For instance, I hate Jasmine and yet finally broke down and bought one after years of smelling countless of them I finally found one that I like, while someone here thinks it's the least favorite and does not have a nice smell as in others..

Then there is Sans..Some either hate it, love it, or kill it!
    How about that nice Orchid I posted the other day which I think has the best smell of all. Jane hates the smell and sticks it away from her in another room..lol

You get it. Of all the Hoya I am in love with, it's the Lacunosa. My friend that sent it to me just last week hated it. But when I opned the box, I was in heaven!

Oh Oh, my Mom hates the smell of teh Odora..How's that get ya? lol

Try it, go ahead, order it! lol I would!

MIke:-)

11 years ago

Ha! Hoya lacunosa is one of my many disappointments! To me it had some generic floral scent that didn't make me swoon. It smelled like Murraya paniculata to my nose. I got rid of both of them. Laugh. In defense of H. lacunosa I've read there are many, many cultivars from different regions so maybe the common kind being offered from Exotic Angel at the big box stores doesn't smell like 'Langkawi Island', the cultivar I might try some day. :)

-Robert

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Robert, you see! I even LOVE the fragrance of the Murraya paniculata..lol I think Fenius is getting our point here now..lol

Now Robert, you are so right. There are different Lacunosa and I think I was sent the one you mentioned and the royal flush one.
    I have not smelled the royal flush one yet and can't wait to.

You know, when ut comes to fragrance, it is definitely not a one size fits all...I can't even tell you the amount of people that hate the smell of gardenia. How is that possible?

Robert, I think I have about 20 Hoya plants now when just last week I had about 6.
    I even got the Publix'Red Button' one. You should read the description of this one!

Oops, did I make you think of another possible plant?

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Button rare Hoya!

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Hey, Mike! I almost feel lucky that I don't have the space or budget to go nuts buying plants! The majority of my scented plants are outside in the gardens, and the few I have indoors are either compact, or don't bloom that often.

I only have one Hoya, a variety with plain green leaves... it hasn't gotten large enough to bloom yet. But I do recall having a large Hoya long ago that smelled very nice when in bloom. It was just a common Wax Plant with variegated leaves.

• kemistry
    11 years ago

OMG fenius, you have a cymbidium goeringii???? It's one of those expensive orchids, yah? : ) Give it time, I'm sure the scent will improve. Sometimes the lack of heat or fresh air etc can really stink up an otherwise nicely fragrant flower.

I adore the smell of gardenia but it's the scent that i've learned to love. When I first sniffed it I thought it was blah. But as I kept on sniffing and sniffing, now it's one of my favorite scents. : )

11 years ago

I love discussing scents and how we change our minds about them!

Mike,

You're terrible about trying to encourage yet another hoya upon us! I am interested in the scent however the site says it only blooms in spring...I want more blooms than that! Laugh.

-Robert

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Fenius...Oh Fenius..Did you get one yet?lol

Robert...Hoya's? Well, once you have gotten the Hoya fever, there is no getting rid of it!
    Would it make you feel better to tell you that I have a friend that grows the Red Button and says it is awesome, smells very sweet, and get this, flowers several times between spring and summer? lol

• fenius
    11 years ago

Nope, I have it on my watch list though! I just got my hoyas today.. Just a month ago I didn't even know what a hoya was.. It was a simpler time!

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Fenius..Ok..What kind of Hoya's and I will tell you what I got..lol

Keep watching friend! Robert, have you hopped on the Hoya wagon with us, I mean., lot's of Hoya?

Kemistry...Do you have any?

Mike

• fenius
    11 years ago

I think I may have mentioned them somewhere..
    h. phi phi island
    h. obscura
    h. nicholsoniae
    h. australis lisa
    and they sent me a gift h. kerrii but I don't think this is fragrant.. Also a girl from my greek forum said she will send me cuttings of her h. carnosa and h. pubicalix, and my boyfriend got me another 5 from aleyagarden for my nameday!!! (regarding that, a friend told me yesterday that he is digging his own grave..)

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Fenius!!! Did the Fairy Hoya mother give you the Hosta Lisa!?

I cna tell you that she did to me too unless you ordered that one. It's impossible to get that one in this country and a rare but most beautiful one. Wow. Good for you!@!

Mike

• fenius
    11 years ago

Nooo, tell me!!if I can make them prosper I'll send you a cutting of lisa, too when it's bigger! But tell me what you got, I have to restrain myself from edgeworthia for a couple of weeks we agreed!!

11 years ago

Mike,

So far I only have two hoyas- H. obscura 'Major' and H. australis ssp australis from Logee's both of which have never flowered! :(

Of course my hoya wish list is growing but I'll hold off until spring to order any. ;)

Some on my list-
    H. odorata (cembra)
    H. calycina
    H. limoniaca
    H. Estrella Waterfalls

-Robert

• fenius
    11 years ago

Hey robert, I 'm looking for estrella waterfalls too!!they usually list it as Palawan GPS 9057 I think

11 years ago

Thanks! Good info to know!
    Yes. Kemistry actually got me hooked on this one.
    He read a blog about its fabulous, men's cologne/ginger scent or something like that. Laugh.

-Robert

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Robet! MY HATS OFF TO YOU! LOL

Containing yourself until the spring is something I have a problem with, especially when written right next to teh Hoya I want is RARE.lol

Ok, over the weekend I will take some pics and names and share! I hate being here with no use for photobucket:-(

If you're going to get Hoya's, all the ones you both names are a ggod start!

Robert. I shall have to give you pointers on getting yours to bloom. Mine did, the Autralis did in less than a year!

Ok, let me share a source for that Hoya you NEED:-)
    That's what friends are for:-)
    I would'nt wait on this one though since Joni is selling out and may run out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya Palawan

11 years ago

Thanks, Mike, but it looks like H. palawanica is already sold out. :(
    Her site allows you to add it to your wish list and you get notified by email when it's back in stock but it doesn't look like you can get one today.

-Robert

• fenius
    11 years ago

good source Mike, I'll start studying the list, I don't know if it's practical for me over here, maybe for the really rare ones though..!!

• roseyd
    11 years ago

My moo jasmine is blooming and it smells so good.... Only 3 flowers, and they appear much tinier than the ones that come in summer.

• fenius
    11 years ago

cool rosey, post a picture in blooming in january!

• fenius
    11 years ago

got the edgeworthia!

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

NO SIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

Tell me about it! fenius, I can't believe you did that..lol

Oh, I am real close to getting one but it's the fact that I can't stick it in the ground thhat keeps be back!
    Man, I am JEALOUS! I have nothing but rave reviews on this one and such beauty! You probably got the one I was going to get. Ha

Mike

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

I saw this one in China couple of years ago. Don't remember exactly which month, but still has snow on the ground. I don't think I smelled its scent, maybe I was too far away, or it was not in full bloom. But I have read it is very fragrant!. The most unique thing about this plant is that its branches are so soft/ pliable that you can make a knot without break it. The bark is used to make high quality paper.