Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chinese Sacred Lily lunch break score!

Posted by robert1971 7a OK (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 7, 13 at 13:39

I normally don't score any great fragrant finds on my lunch break (especially in winter!) however I decided to go to a local nursery just for the heck of it after Home Depot's lackluster plant selection let me down. Boy was I happy I went! They had bags of Chinese Sacred Lily (Narcissus tazetta v. orientalis, a type of paperwhite that's great for forcing) for $2.77 a bag (25% off). Woo hoo!
They're supposed to have a lovely citrus perfume, spiced orange like scent with no heavy musky scents like normal paperwhites. I know Kemistry likes the scent.
When I get home I'll pot them up and put them in a sunny window. They'll help me get through the dark, cold days of winter. :)

-Robert

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chinese Sacred Lily lunch break score!

cool robert! I don't like narcissus flowers, smth about their shape but I love their fragrance (even paperwhites in a car w/ closed windows!)
I just ordered some new south african bulbs, my last batch is pretty much still just salad leaves and two (boophone & hesperantha) haven't grown anything.. I also ordered four hoyas, can you guys tell me anything about their scent??
H. phi phi island
H. obscura
H. nicholsoniae
H. australis lisa

o

Now, I can't seem to like the regular paper whites and no one in my household can either.

To me they smell like urine..oh well.lol

Mike

But Robert, I must say that is a great deal and I hope it smells like you describe! If so, than I just might try a few of these. Nice

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Wed, Jan 9, 13 at 19:28

o

Mike, they have Kemistry's seal of approval! ;)

Fenius,

I know H. obscura is supposed to have a spiced orange, lovely perfume scent so I think you scored with that one.
Don't know the others but H. australis will probably smell like vanilla/chocolate...you'll just have to let us know when yours bloom! :)

-Robert

o

Hey Robert!! Hey Mike, fenius and everyone! Lol. I feel like I've been hibernating through the cold, gloomy weather.

Yes, this cultivar of paperwhite smells freshly sweet n' perfumey. Robert, if you force those bulbs now they will bloom in a month I think. :)

o

Yay for sweet smelling flowers and yay that Kemistry is back! :)

-Robert

o

I noticed flower buds last night! Woo hoo!
These suckers have been pumping out roots like mad. So much so that the potting mix is being pushed out of the pot and is making a mess. Next time I grow these I'll plant them deeper in the pot. ;)
Can't wait for them to bloom.
I'll update everyone when it happens and try to describe the scent. So much easier just to say if you like it or not. :)

-Robert

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here