Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

Colorful tuberoses

Ugh! Brian had to point out that in Europe they have tuberoses (Polianthes tuberosa) in shades of pink, yellow and lavender!
I'm so jealous!
All are supposed to be heavily scented.
I always thought they only came in white forms.
Hopefully it won't be too long before they're available in the states.

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: colorful tuberoses

Comments (45)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Argh...

Just what I Want!

I love lavender... Mmmm

Please let me know if and when...

Yea!

Laura

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ha! Will do but I bet we're gonna have to wait a while and just be jealous of our friends across the pond. ;)

-Robert

• fenius
    10 years ago

Robert I was just reading about them the other day after I found them on ebay by mistake!! Still very expensive there... I'll keep an eye open though!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Yay! Thanks! Though I suppose I don't need any colorful tuberoses since I'm sure the white ones I have smell just as good but still they're very cool!

It's nice to be surprised every now and then. :)

-Robert

Original Author
    10 years ago

Bob in Indiana was kind enough to point out he's found some U.S. sources for colorful tuberoses!

I wanted to share the info with everyone-

"As far as colorful tuberoses, I get a lot of paper catalogues and have seen two items you may be interested in.

http://www.kvbwholesale.com/product/Double_Tuberose_Pink_Sapphire_

This site is Van Bourgondien...they have double pink tuberoses, 3 for $16.50.

I also ran across:

https://store.brentandbeckysbulbs.com/summer/productview/?sku=90-03

If you look up Brent and Becky's bulb site, they have a yellow tuberose. It doesn't look like the blooms open much to me, but it may just be the picture. It costs $5.34 a bulb."

Thank you so much, Bob!
    Your settings don't allow me to respond to your kind email so I have to do it here. :)

Laura,

Looks like so far no lavender ones but we're getting closer!
    The pink one looks lovely.

-Robert

Original Author
    10 years ago

Bob is knocking them out of the park!
    Thanks again, Bob!

He found another U.S. source of mixed colors which include purple (though it would be a crapshoot since you don't know what colors you'll be getting).

Laura,

You might take a chance and go for it.
    If you do we want pics when they bloom! :)

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: Mixed colorful tuberoses

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

This is awesome news!!!

Thank You Robert and Bob for this great information!!!

Robert.. I will check out the link and then order some purple and pink!!!

Great NEWS!!! ;-)

You know I will post pics if I am lucky enough to have any blooms!!!

MMMMMmmmm, I can smell that beautiful fragrance now... Mahalo!!!

Laura

• greendale
    10 years ago

Hi, Robert, thanks for keeping tempting us. :)
    Have any of you bought bulbs from Michigan bulbs beforeï¼ÂI am very tempted. Also, for tuberose, which smell more tense, single or double white? I want to order white ones and color ones. Are they easy to bloom inside? They have $40 of $20 now too, hmm, I may order something else from them too.

-greendale

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    10 years ago

Oh you guys just made me come out of lurking and this is something I must have. Th-th-thanks for posting this. (LOL) and I was proud of myself for not ordering any plants in the last 4 months or so.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Ha!

They need to change the name of this forum to the enablers forum. ;)

Greendale,

I've not ordered from Michigan Bulbs so I can't answer your question.
    Laura said she was going to order but I don't know from whom.

Musaboru,

Glad I could tempt you! ;)
    I tried to tempt Kemistry but he wouldn't take the bait. Laugh.

-Robert

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    10 years ago

I bet Kem is going cold turkey right now hehe. ..

Regarding Michigan Bulb, some items may be drop shipped (at their expense). I dont know about their tuberoses though but I would order those without too much concern for what I will receive. It is the plants that they ship that are of often terrible condition when they arrive. The bulbs are probably imported so they may be of decent quality. I've ordered several times from them and they have replaced plants with no qiestions asked.

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Hello friends,

I hope you all are doing well.

I wanted to get some Tuberose too but I learned about them too late in the season so I was unable to locate any last year.

So here I am trying again this year. Please tell me a good place to buy these thing?

Thank you!
    Lynn

• bunti
    10 years ago

Lynn,

I have seen double tuberoses in walmart yesterday. best of luck.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Lynn!

There are links to the colorful tuberoses in this thread but if you can't find them locally I found some on eBay. :)

-Robert

• fruits_veggies
    10 years ago

Hi, I found this seller hirtsgardens in ebay when looking for Tuberoses, please share your feedback on this seller.

Thanks

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Fruits,

I got my Mexican Single white variety from timberviewflowerfarm last year and was quite happy.
    I checked and they are currently offering some again this year.

I don't know about Hirt's Gardens.

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: Tuberoses on eBay

• fruits_veggies
    10 years ago

Thanks Robert, I got few single layer white Tuberose bulbs from a friend, thought of getting some color tuberose.

Hirt's Gardens has lot of positive reviews in ebay and there are negative reviews as well, will look around for few more options.

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Thanks Robert!! I am going to order both and see which ones I like better.

I think I will wait on the colorful ones for now because I actually like the white better. Plus at this point we are not sure if the colorful ones are fragrant! So please do share when you get some.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Ha! We'll have to wait to hear back from Laura and the others who ordered the colorful ones since I too only have the white variety. :)

-Robert

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

I already have 2 Polianthes tuberosa lavender (Cinderella) potted that i ordered from Greece i am a little worried as although they were a decent size they looked and bit dried and shriveled but fingers crossed

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    10 years ago

Hi all,

I ordered Pink Sensation and Pink Sapphire from Hirt's via Amazon and received these. They appear to be a bit desiccated but still viable. The bulb quality isnt that great compared to EasyToGrowBulbs white tuberose bulbs but I'm not too disappointed considering there's not many other sources for these colored varietals. I am sure they will grow.

This post was edited by musaboru on Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 10:05

• fruits_veggies
    10 years ago

Hi Musaboru, Thanks for the posting.

I'm also looking for colored Tuberose and looks like hirts is the place we can get now. I'm also planning to buy the same colored varieties you got from Hirts, hope these bulbs sprout.

• smatta
    10 years ago

Wow I never knew that Tuberose came in colors, Thanks for the information. Another addition to my growing list of wants...:-(

Original Author
    10 years ago

Ha ha. You're welcome, smatta!

We like to enable our addictions on this forum. ;)

Did you know there are fragrant clematises?
    Why not add another to your wish list? :)

-Robert

• smatta
    10 years ago

:-) so true.

:-), Thanks but have couple of clematises on my want list that I saw when visiting Ohio few years back. Unfortunately or fortunately don't have any info on them except my memory... :-)

Sushmita

• ordphien
    10 years ago

I've seen yellow and pink ones at my local nursery the past few years.
    Never thought to buy one.
    Just thought "well look at that" and walked away.
    However they were double not single.
    I have never once smelled or seena single tuberose.
    In fact, until recently I thought the double form was the only form.

• fruits_veggies
    10 years ago

Hi Musaboru,

Today I received these 4 tuberose bulbs from hirts, Double Pearl
    Pink Sapphire, Yellow Baby & Sensation. I agree, quality isn't great but hope that they sprout. I also got few single layer tuberose bulbs from a friend.

This is the first time, i'm going to plant Tuberose bulbs, when would be right time to plant them in Dallas, TX or will it be a better idea to plant them in pots and later on transplant them to the ground.

Thanks

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

Was not sure they were going to make it but out of my two tuberosa lavender (Cinderella) one is showing signs of life :D

• fruits_veggies
    10 years ago

Fragrant, hope both of your bulbs sprout.

What would be the best plating medium/soil for tuberose bulbs or for that matter any other bulbs. Please share your suggestions.

Thanks

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

Any good loam based compost should do the trick i use a john innes compost as for other bulbs there is not one compost fits all really depends on the type of bulb where it is from in the world

• bossyvossy
    10 years ago

my experiences with Hirts have been awful and I would buy nor recommend this seller to anybody. I got some yellow tuberoses from B&B. Just arrived today. I had been lusting after the pink ones so I clicked on the link posted above, the wholesale arm of VanB. Since I was not going to spend $200 to get a 25% disc, it made more sense for me to go to the retail arm and shop. Yes, prices were higher, but I ended up spending my bottom line number.

Van Bourg. doesn't have a perfect score either but I trust them way more than I trust HirtsGarden. When the Glamini glads first came out a few years ago, I had to have them so went with VanB. Wasn't disappointed and every year I get a pack and they have always been what I expected. Hopefully, the pink tuberose experience will be as good as the Glamini experience.

This whole thing is crazy for me as I've tried growing the white tuberoses, singles and doubles, and have YET to see one. Maybe the yellows and the pink tubies will be the ones to adorn my garden.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    10 years ago

Guys, I emailed Easy to Grow Bulbs and they said that they will be carrying a small supply of colored tuberoses soon. They dudnt specify the colors but I'm hoping they will carry the varieties suited for containers.

Keep your eyes peeled! I've ordered bulbs from EtGB a few times before including tuberoses and liliums and their quality is SUPERB!

• stampstudio73137 kemp
    9 years ago

Just this morning ni got an email from Easy to Grow Bulbs that the Tuberose are in
    You Can view at
    http://www.easytogrowbulbs.com/c-189-tuberose.aspx
    As far as Hirt i would never again order from them
    Bill Kemp

• fruits_veggies
    9 years ago

I got 4 varieties of tuberose - Double Pearl, Pink Sapphire, Yellow Baby & Sensation from Hirts more than a month back and only one shows any sign of sprouting. I think Hirts bulb quality is not that good but I wanted to give them a try.

Weather is getting warm in Dallas, maybe they need some more time. Will wait for couple more weeks and if they don't sprout, I might order from Easy to Grow Bulbs

• kathidesertplum
    9 years ago

I have about 6 pots of tuberosas and the bulb is showing.Is that the way it suppose to look.Everytime a bud comes it drops.All my pots are full of at least 12 bulbs I guess they multiply.Its not a plant Im very experienced with.Im a plumeria and desert rose person but these tuberosas are giving me a challenge.Can someone please give me some info about them please.Also everytime I ask a questions on this site I can never find my anwser what am I doing wrong?

• bunti
    9 years ago

I have got mine from michigan bulb. I have planted them more than a month ago. They are now showing some sign of growth. I was also worried.

But now I am getting little hope after seeing the growth.

• Kachana
    9 years ago

Any update on these? Please share some pictures if you have them.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Musaboru mentioned hers blooming in the August thread and that they're not nearly strongly scented as regular tuberoses.

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: Musaboru's report

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    9 years ago

Most of my tuberose bulbs rotted from being watered too much (that's called killing with too much attention!). But one variety recovered enough to bloom this year. It was an extremely pale pink and definitely not a replacement for the original varieties. Which I would say are living scented plug-ins.

Robert, I'm a guy by the way. :P

Original Author
    9 years ago

Ha! So sorry. My bad. :(
    We should have pics on this forum. :)

-Robert

• Kachana
    9 years ago

Thank you for the update, Robert and Musaboru. I'm sorry they didn't do too well for you :( Maybe the color & scent intensity improves in subsequent years?

Kachana

• fruits_veggies
    8 years ago

i'm looking for colorful tuberoses. I mail ordered Yellow Baby, Double Pearl, Pink Sapphire & Pink Sensation from Hirts Gardens 2 years back, out of the 4, three sprouted and only Pink Sapphire survived and bloomed last year.

This time I'm planning to order from Easy to Grow bulbs, meanwhile I'm checking here to see if anyone can trade colorful tuberose bulbs for Jasmine plants (i have Jasminer Molle, Maid of Orleans, GD Supreme & Thai Jasmine) and I also have curry leaf (Murraya koenigii) and Crossandra plants or be generous to send bulbs for which I will pay shipping.

Please let me know, thanks.

• bossyvossy
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I think this thread inspired me to get pink and yellow tuberoses, don't remember from whom but do know it would have never been hirts. This thread also reminded me that I have never seen the pink in my garden. The yellow had been fab., Though I would characterize it as vanilla ice cream yellow (pastel yellow). I have

never been able to grow the regular or the double white. Does that make any sense?

• fruits_veggies
    7 years ago

hi bossy, your yellow Tuberose looks nice. I ordered Color Tuberoses Yellow Baby, Cinderella, Pink Sapphire & Pink Sensation and also double Tuberose from Easy to Grow Bulbs, hope this time they grow for me :-)

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA