Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

I am sitting next to these Orchids! YUMMY!!!

meyermike_1micha
11 years ago

I have no idea what the name of theses one are, but I received them from a friend whom works at the orchid place last spring! One reminds me of a larger one that I have that bloomed for me in the fall, but this one is different.

It blooms now and smell like muted vanilla with a hint of spiced nutmeg and clove! Hard to describe, but boy does it permeate the air in this whole room I am sitting in and every time I breath. I love this plant!

The star orchid reminds me of lilacs and vanilla mixed into one!

Mike

Star orchid

{{gwi:69344}}

Comments (30)

• fenius
    11 years ago

hi mike, maybe the second could be angraecum sesquipedale, you have to find the name of the first one though, I need it!!!

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

Gorgeous orchids, Mike! Jealous...however I did score an awesome orchid today which I'm about to post about. ;)
    Keep the pics coming! Love to see beautiful plants when it's cold and dreary outside.

-Robert

• kemistry
    11 years ago

What is the size of that pot that you are growing your orchid in Mike? Looks like I have to grow some orchids this year too. Lol. : )

11 years ago

I wonder if the first orchid is Dendrochilum glumaceum? Fairly certain dendrochilum is the genus.
    I realized yesterday that I now have 5 orchids.
    It's a slippery slope, folks! ;)

-Robert

• fenius
    11 years ago

Maybe, a quick search led me to D. glumaceum too, robert! 5 is not enough obviously, you have to catch up!! I just counted 25 around me, although more than half of them are seedlings years from blooming :-(

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Fenius..Really!?
    I think I may have you beat by about one more.lol
    You know what I love most about having so many?
    You never know what surprise you'll find with flowers and fragrance.
    There is never a dull moment at my home in the Orchid department any time of the year!
    I can't wait for the ones that smell like Coco Nuts to start flowering.

Robert, don't worry. I'll catch you at the bottom..hahha

You guys might have it right with the name. It is much has a much cleaner and crips fragrance than my other one like it.
    It smells so good and fill a room up. You don't have to go up to it to enjoy it's fragrance.

Mike

• fenius
    11 years ago

What orchid smells like coco nuts Mike???
    I can't wait till mine get bigger to have surprises all year round!!
    And by the other like it you mean your dendrochilum magnum if I remember well? I have a small one too, now I have to get this one too if it smells better!..

• jane__ny
    11 years ago

Hi Mike. Your star orchid is Angraecum sesquipedale. It is called Darwins Orchid and has an interesting story. It comes from Madagascar and Africa.

I have one which blooms faithfully every Jan/Feb. It is night fragrant and requires a particular moth for pollinating. Darwin was fascinated by this orchid and died before proving his theory on what insect could possibly reach down so far into the long stem at the base of the flower.

Mine is quite large. I have been growing it for about 8 years. I am not crazy about the 'fragrance' and move it to another room each night during flowering.

This is a rare orchid and quite valuable. Good luck,

Jane

This Photo was taken 2 yrs ago. Presently is getting ready to bloom in the next week.

Here is a link that might be useful: Angraecum Story

11 years ago

Wow, Jane!

What a magnificent specimen you have! Congratulations on giving the plant what it needs to grow so large and flower so profusely!
    It's a shame you don't care for the scent. ;)
    I remember hearing the story about Darwin's prediction about the moth.
    Love the name they gave the moth when it was finally discovered. :)
    Thanks for sharing your pic and knowledge with us.

-Robert

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Whoppa!!! Jane, first off it is so good to see you and second, thank you for sharing the story behind this one.

Do you remember when I wanted one of these really bad way back when? Now I finally have 3 and I must say a huge one from a wonderful member there that has yet to bloom.

How in the world did you get it to bloom like that? Do you think it's related to age more than anything, or some sort of steroid, lol, fertilizer?

That is a beauty and as Robert said, it is a shame that you don't like the scent. My mother and I are in love with it. It reminded her of Lilacs with a hint of vanilla spice. We love it. Oh, I can only imagine what yours smells like.

Robert, you need one of these.lol

Jane, you are a wealth of knowledge with Orchids and a testament that these can be grown even without a greenhouse. Thank you

Mike

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Mike, I'm always so impressed with your orchids... great work! They're just beautiful!

• jane__ny
    11 years ago

Thanks Robert and Mike. Mike its good to see you enjoying your orchids. They are very addictive.

Regarding the Angraecum, flowering is probably related to size. They also don't like their roots disturbed so I wouldn't repot often. Might set it back a year.

Mine is beginning to bloom now. It is much bigger than the picture above, which was taken 2 years ago. I'll post another picture when it fully opens.

They are great plants. When you get multiple spikes with flowers, the fragrance becomes overwhelming. I enjoy the smell when I move the plant to a large, open space. Then the whole house smells good.

Anyway, good luck with the three you have. They are wonderful plants and quite easy to grow.

Jane

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jane..lol..My sister is offering to buy it from you. I said, oh no.

Now if it was that massive 2 years ago, I can't even imagine it now. This give me hope. At least I know that after a while, I won't just get one flower every year. Boy, was mine stingy..lol
    Thank you for the insight on this beauty. I can only hope that as my other two plus this one gets older, it will put out as many flowers as yours!
    Have you noticed any significent change in yours since you moved? Does it seem to be liking that nice warm humid weather? Are you growing it outside at times or still indoors?

Thank you!

Jodik!Thank you so much. We need to hook you up with orchids that thrive in dry heat and that smell just lovely! I think I might have one around here somewhere, even a seedling. I do know that Cattalaya thrive even in dry conditions..Hummmm:-)
    We'll be in touch very soon.+
    I know you have been so sick and my thoughts are with you
    So are Moms!

Mike

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Thanks, Mike... we're slowly getting better. I've been doing a little research over winter, and there are some nice orchids that would survive just fine in my drier conditions. I just have to save my pennies and find good sources. Of course, we can always trade... I have lots of stuff you'd enjoy, as you know! I owe you a care package, anyway! :-)

We'll talk soon, for sure! Hugs for you and Mom!

PS - Warmer weather is here for the moment, so you should get warmer temperatures soon!

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Jodik...

How you feelin now? Good to see you again. I know you have been sick and I do owe you a call.

In fact, I'll call you when I leave here at work and we'll chat then.

Jodik..Tell me, what's an orchid that you have always wanted to try?

Let me know since I will have access to thousands of them on the first weekend of February. I am going to the Orchid show to see my friends in New Hampshire and there will be be plenty of inexpensive ones to choose from.

By the way. I don't know why, but I can NEVER find any Cattalaya Orchids sold anywhere around here in bloom, so this will be a treat! I should of got one last year, but I was so new to Orchids, that it never occured to me they were fragrant or that they were so hard to find. I know now and I am not getting them from E-bay for more money this time!

Many hugs from us here too.

Mike

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Nice Orchid group Mike hope you enjoy the show Any time off show season if you want to shop check this place out It's a five hour plus or minus a few more minutes drive for you though AND you have to promise you wont get lost inside.

11 years ago

Dang Logee's is having an email sale on their orchids so of course I couldn't resist and finally ordered Blc. Orchid Fatari 'Carmela'.
    I'm such a sucker for fragrance descriptions! :P

-Robert

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hahahahahah

Robert, you make me laugh out load!!!lololol

See what happens when your eyes peer where they shouldn't be? lol
    Now, how would you like to come to teh Orchid show with us? lol

Now, how come I didn't see this orchid when I was there a couple of weeks ago? You do know that they are all blooming size, right:-)?

Nice pal!

Wes, I had no idea you posted this. I shall now have to take a look and keep my credit far from me.Ha.

• jane__ny
    11 years ago

Mike, I entered my Angraecum at a local show and it won First Prize and Best in Class. I even got a small, crystal trophy.

I dropped it off on Friday, before the show (Sat & Sun) and never attended the show or saw the judging. I didn't know it won until I went to pick it up on Sunday.

Anyway, it was quite a thrill,

Jane

11 years ago

That's awesome, Jane! Congratulations! You certainly deserve it. That's quite an impressive specimen you have there an obviously the judges agree. :)

-Robert

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jane! That is just spectacular! It deserves an award and first place. It's has always been first place with me and it's because of our conversation and your beautiful pic that I wanted one so babdly.

Just fantastic and really, I have never seen such a specimen! I hope to get mine to look as nice as yours some day. All that beauty in different environments too. That's a feat!

Thank you so much for sharing with me/us:-) Very proud of you. I always knew you had a gift with orchids.

Soooooo Robert, you getting one? ha

Mike

11 years ago

Mike, of course I'm tempted but just seeing how huge they can grow in capable hands I don't have the space for one. Laugh.

-Robert

• jane__ny
    11 years ago

Thanks Robert and Mike. They do get big, too big. I have to repot this spring and will take some divisions. I can barely lift it anymore.

Jane

• fenius
    11 years ago

I love a plant with a ribbon!! Yesterday we had a Downton Abbey watching marathon and there was a flower show too!!
    I'm definitely getting sesquipedale and maybe even magdalenae!!

• jane__ny
    11 years ago

Thanks fenius. I agree, I love a ribbon. I used to show dogs, Rotties and had to work hard to get ribbons.

Lot easier to show plants.

It's Angraecum Crestwood. I might enter it in another show this weekend if the flowers hold. Weather has turned cool and I brought it indoors.

Mike, this plant grew under lights in NY for years. In summer it went out in almost full sun. It has flowered every January like clockwork. I grow it in large bark. Its an easy plant to grow.

The move to Florida was positive for many of my orchids. I lost some to the heat and humidity. There is quite a learning curve.

On another note, the houseplants I brought alone have doubled in size. They are in desperate need of repotting as they are still in the same pots. My Pachira must be close to 8 ft in a 12" pot. I use it as an umbrella to shade my orchids on the patio.

Such a different growing experience but I just love seeing what warmth and sun do for plants which have spent their lives inside. It makes me feel so good!

Jane

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    11 years ago

I began to think i was the only Gardenia killer, wondering where everyone else posted about these plants that must be creating havoc for more people than just me. Then I found this forum and I see this is where they post.

But then I landed on this thread.

This thread got me searching for orchids. This one, and a bunch of others. I put all the ones I liked into the site cart -- and then the subtotal was $455.

$455. Does that still qualify as a hobby?

Thankfully, I have yet to complete the purchase; the window remains open. That www.orchidweb.com can ruin a person.....

But I want that orchid!!
    After Mike's description, I need to smell that orchid.

• roseyd
    11 years ago

You don't have to buy them all, Sugi - start with one or two at the most. you will appreciate the scent more if they're less of them competing for your attention. :)

And! I'm not killing my Gardenia! ... I'm only learning what her likes n dislikes are. ;)

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jane.....It must feel good! It must be weird seeing your plants lavish in the warmth and bright light. I only wish I could haul all of my plants down there and let them free,,lol

That plants is beautiful! Did you ever renter it? Did the flowers hold up? How do you grow it now that you are there? Do you have to keep up under trees?
    I assume the sun there is much different than here and would scorch so many plants. especially your orchids...Lol
    Who cares. I would rather put them and all my Hoya under trees and call it a day.
    I can only imagine how all your plants react to the natural rains too instead of tap water. I know orchids hate tap water due to the salts...OH..Lucky you:-)

Rosey....Hello! Still waiting for stinking spring to show up..Doesn't seem it's been winter for like about a couple of years...? What a joke and to think warm weather comes so easy just a couple hours drive south in a plane. That is where my dad is headed today. To the Caribbean he goes without us for at least two months to play in my yard down there..lol:-(

Sug!!! I call it an addiction and we are all guilty of it!!lol
    I have done the very same thing and all my orchids just seemed to jump out from the cart into my lap within a day or two..ha How'd that happen?
    You should try a 'Little Stars (cordata x nodosa)!

Oh my God...Like liliac, clove, and vanilla mixed into an enchanting and intoxicating fragrance to make your head spin of pleasure! kind of reminds me of a Brunsfelsia! Strong and fragrant once the sun sets.
    Here you go...

{{gwi:74065}}

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jane.....It must feel good! It must be weird seeing your plants lavish in the warmth and bright light. I only wish I could haul all of my plants down there and let them free,,lol

That plants is beautiful! Did you ever renter it? Did the flowers hold up? How do you grow it now that you are there? Do you have to keep up under trees?
    I assume the sun there is much different than here and would scorch so many plants. especially your orchids...Lol
    Who cares. I would rather put them and all my Hoya under trees and call it a day.
    I can only imagine how all your plants react to the natural rains too instead of tap water. I know orchids hate tap water due to the salts...OH..Lucky you:-)

Rosey....Hello! Still waiting for stinking spring to show up..Doesn't seem it's been winter for like about a couple of years...? What a joke and to think warm weather comes so easy just a couple hours drive south in a plane. That is where my dad is headed today. To the Caribbean he goes without us for at least two months to play in my yard down there..lol:-(

Sug!!! I call it an addiction and we are all guilty of it!!lol
    I have done the very same thing and all my orchids just seemed to jump out from the cart into my lap within a day or two..ha How'd that happen?
    You should try a' B. Little Stars (cordata x nodosa)!

Oh my God...Like liliac, clove, and vanilla mixed into an enchanting and intoxicating fragrance to make your head spin of pleasure! kind of reminds me of a Brunsfelsia! Strong and fragrant once the sun sets.
    Here you go...

{{gwi:74065}}

Here is a link that might be useful: B. Little Stars (Cordata X Nodosa)

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 11:52

• roseyd
    11 years ago

Holy geeezus christ! I just took a look at that orchid.com website... is that what the price of orchids is, these days?

I clicked on one I liked and it showed $125 - and was only a 4" pot and not in spike.

there seems to be a lot more longevity in cameras ...

Mike those $35 orchids at the show were bargains!

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner