Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
friedabyler

Companions for Lemon Verbena

friedabyler
12 years ago

What are some good companion plants for lemon verbena, preferably those that flower? I love the scent, but miss seeing the flowers.

Comments (8)

• jeff_al
    12 years ago

what are the site conditions for your lemon verbena?
    i like monarda didyma, scarlet beebalm, for the showy flowers and aromatic foliage. needs regular watering and prefers full sun. there are cultivars with many colors including pinks, whites and purples but i favor the old-fashioned reds. hummingbirds love this plant.
    salvia elegans (pineapple sage) would be an annual for you and you might also consider some of the other hardier salvias.

• friedabyler
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, the site could be a little difficult for some plants; it is in the southwestern corner of the house where we're in the process of putting a patio. Because of a gigantic oak, it gets shaded until mid afternoon, then gets blasted with sun for 5-6 hrs. I've had some plants sort of "fry" in that area during the hottest part of the summer, so I'm trying to be careful with my selections.

• jeff_al
    12 years ago

sounds like a good site for lantana. they love heat and are drought tolerant. i had one of the trailing cultivars and it bloomed very well in partial shade/ filtered light.

• friedabyler
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! Sounds like a great plant. Is it winter hardy in our area, or are containers an option? ......and which variety/varieties do you prefer?

• gardenofeden777
    12 years ago

'Strawberry Kiss' verbena smells like a French perfume! It is amazing. The flowers are tri-colored whie, lite pink & straw-
    berry pink. Lightly scented during the day but heavily in the evening. And extremely so with more shade than sun. You can over-winter a piece of it as a houseplant. You'll not want to lose it when you find it. Rena'

• friedabyler
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the ideas, folks; I'll be looking online for some "Strawberry Kiss" verbena today! Any recommendations for lantanas?

• friedabyler
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My, I'm having a hard time finding "Strawberry Kiss" verbena available in the US! Anyone know of a source? gardenofeden???
    Now that I've read up a bit on it, it sounds wonderful!

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

Hi sorry I just found this again today! I found mine at
    of all places a feed store here in town. They have a little nursery there too. I barely got one of them. After I pointed out the scent to the plant manager she would bring every cust.
    to it and they would sell out immediately. And there suppliers are mostly from Forest Hill. That is a little town with over 240 nurseries some wholesale and some to the public. I love collecting verbena that was my first fragrant one. But there are a few others I read about. But rare as hen's teeth it seems because I've not located a seller for the others, just read about them online. When mine multiplies more I would be happy to send you a well rooted cutting. Rena'