Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gardenia Plant too wet

Posted by jacobeanjb z4 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 11, 14 at 17:17

I am trying to figure out where to ask my question. This is my third try for the same question.

My gardenia is a year and a half old. After reading much about the care of gardenias on this site I changed my watering habit. previously I watered it once a week with 1 1/2 gallons of water. In testing the soil, I see that it is very wet. So I decided to wait until the meter was at least down halfway. That was three weeks ago, Now I don't know what to do?. Repot it? go ahead and water it? or wait? Here is a picture. It is in a south facing window under a grow light for 14 hours a day.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gardenia Plant too wet

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 13, 14 at 15:33

When the saucer fills up after watering dump it out.

o

I would stick some rope or cotton mop strings up through the bottom of that pot and make a wick...

Lift the pot up and let the wick or strings hand down and help drain your pot until you repot in spring...

Mike

o

Jacobean,
Get the water out from underneath it!
They can't have wet feet like that.
You are watering it too much.
When was the last time you changed the soil?
Was it a year and a half ago?
Just wondering.
You mentioned a water meter, remove the water it is sitting in and don't water it until the water meter says dry after you put it down near the roots of the plant.
The easiest way to improve drainage until you repot it and refresh the soil is to put it in another pot, bigger filled with potting soil.
Pot in a pot, for right now, til you can put it outside.
Good luck to you.

o

Posted by butterfly4u 8 (My Page) on Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 23:47

don't water it until the water meter says dry after you put it down near the roots of the plant.
-------------------------------------------

jacobeanjb,

I agree with butterfly4u.

You half a gallon is too much weekly-water for the winter. Also, your pot is a little too large for the cold north.

Do not ever water your gardenia if the soil reads wet. If the leaves wilt, that is caused by root rot. You can cover the leaves with a large transparent trash bag.

You can gently lift the potting mix out of the pot, then place it on paper towel. Keep the root ball in one piece. Let the air dry the root ball.

Let me repeat one more time - do not water!

Your problem is very typical and this has been going on for decades. That is why so many people are not answering your question. It is a very old question :-)

This post was edited by jujujojo on Sat, Jan 18, 14 at 21:40

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here