Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jasmine

Posted by luxrosa emeryville (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 11, 11 at 17:19

I'm very interested in acquiring a jasmine that my neighbor admired when he was living in Greece. He said that one type of white flowering jasmine that was grown there, was far more fragrant than "Poets Jasmine" that we both grow here.
Can anyone tell me what is the name of that jasmine? Since he has only seen it growing in a hot climate, I would guess it is less hardy than Poets Jasmine".

Thank You,
Luxrosa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jasmine

I wonder if you are looking for Jasminum grandiflorum. It is less cold hardy and has flowers that are both larger and ten times more fragrant (with a much nicer quality perfume) than Jasminum officinale. I have often seen J. grandiflorum growing in warmer climates, including in Athens when I was there last summer.

Last time I checked, it was offered by Logee's. It is the single-flowered version, not the more finicky double-flowered type.

o
RE: Jasmine

Poet's jasmine is Jasminum officinale. It is the one most commonly grown in Italy and the Mediterranean region generally. It is hardy but only marginally ie. is damaged by frost, but VERY fragrant. It would be worth trying in central California.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here