Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

Pink Delight Fragrant Begonia

Ugh. Tulip World has a 50% off sale on their begonias right now and I broke down and ordered Pink Delight which is supposed to be highly fragrant. I've killed two tuberous begonias already, John Smith (that was a pretty penny down the drain) and Sunrise Scentiment so it's pretty foolish of me to try again but I couldn't stop myself!

Has anyone ever sniffed Pink Delight?
I'm hoping to keep it alive long enough for it to bloom so I can experience for myself if I can detect any scent or not.
Perhaps I should try growing it in the gritty mix this time?
I seem to always over water and they rot. :(

Really wish Thompson and Morgan would offer Apricot Fragrant Falls on their US site but it seems it's only available in the UK.
I've read great reviews on its scent!

-Robert

This post was edited by robert1971 on Fri, Jan 10, 14 at 19:43

Comments (5)

• Edie
    10 years ago

Robert,

I don't have Pink Delight, but do have another of the scented begonias Tulip World sells. I bought Angelique last year. I just checked my stored tubers and the Angeliques are already showing new pink growth, so I'll definitely have them again this year. They do have a rose-like fragrance, but it doesn't waft far from those big fluffy flowers. If I put my nose in a bloom and inhaled, it was lovely. Sitting next to the planter, I could sometimes detect a faint scent if the day wasn't windy. Perhaps I need more of them in bloom. I might get Red Glory and mingle the colors.

Tulip World sells them in packs of three, so you can try potting them individually and experimenting with different mixes.

Have you had any success with non-scented tuberous begonias? It may be your climate and not your care. They grow best in areas with cool, humid summers. The link below has detailed information on growing them. Good luck!

-Edie

Here is a link that might be useful: Brad's Begonia World

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Edie,

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge with me!
    That's a great idea of trying each tuber in a different mix.
    Oklahoma has really hot summers so I guess I just have to be jealous of you guys up north. :)
    I'll read through the tips on the link you provided and give it another go. I've grown some tuberous begonias before and they do okay for a little while.
    Thanks again for the info and hopefully one day I'll get to sniff a fragrant begonia.

-Robert

Original Author
    10 years ago

I hate when my phone duplicates my response. :(
    Since I can't delete a post I'll just edit this duplicate. :)

-Robert

This post was edited by robert1971 on Mon, Jan 13, 14 at 9:27

• canqule88
    10 years ago

The good news - Last year I purchased 80 plug plants from the Canny Gardner as, Begonia, "Scents of Summer". They produced absolutely excellent plants with super scented blooms and not one lost to disease or bugs. Astonishingly, they also produced very large tubers, (up to 3"diameter) which I checked in my garage today for starting in warmth in 2 weeks - they are solid.
    The BAD news - Canny Gardner went bust in November!

Original Author
    10 years ago

No! I got excited about having my own "Scents of Summer"! Laugh.
    Oh, well...it looks like fragrant begonias are catching on so maybe we'll see more of them coming out every year. :)
    Glad to hear your tubers are doing well.
    This has been a tough year with my plants down in my basement but I suppose losing plants just means I get to go shopping to replace them. ;)

-Robert