Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelsmell_gw

What's your favorite smelling rose?

angelsmell
19 years ago

I just bought 14 new bareroot rose bushes, I purchased all the strong fragrance roses, I can hardly wait to pick my first boquet for my bedroom! I am real excited about the David Austin English roses, they have a very strong scent and different types, fruity, peach, old rose, myhrr and licorice. Does anyone have these Austins? What is your exp with the fragrance.

Comments (21)

• risingpower1
    19 years ago

Benjamin britten has a fantastic scent, so far I've preferred it out of the english roses i've seen from david austin. The flowers don't last long, but they do keep coming. Got one in a container.

• tmli
    19 years ago

Double Delight

• Zoomersmom
    19 years ago

Sharifa Asma has a lovely strong wafting scent! I adore it!

• jeff_al
    19 years ago

'mccartney rose' is pretty awesome but 'melody parfumee' is the most intense i have ever experienced.

• angelsmell
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'm so glad, McCarney, Melody parfumee, & double delight were just planted along with 5 David Austin rose bushes, I wish I had Sharifa Asma. Maybe next time. I also planted Mr. Lincoln, Lagerfeld, Royal Highness, Lady of Guadalupe,
    Honey Perfume, Cherry Parfait and Intrigue. I can hardly wait for them to bloom!

• Ron_B
    19 years ago

Wild musk roses (Sec. Synstylae), such as Rosa brunonii, R. moschata, R. multiflora etc.

• TreeJohn
    19 years ago

Try "Jude The Obscure". Its fragrance will knock your nostrils for a loop! Hard to exactly define the scent... but it is wonderful! "Gertrude Jekyll" is also one of my faves. Funny thing about scent, though... one person's delight may do absolutely nothing for the next person. May you enjoy finding YOUR favorites!

.......... John

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    19 years ago

I used to love 'Jude the Obscure' when I grew it (I no longer have outdoor garden space). It smelled of peaches and lily of the valley with a definite, pronounced grapefruit zing. A very sharp, penetrating and delicious scent indeed.

I also loved the perfume of the old Alba roses like 'Madame Plantier' and 'Félicité Parmentier'. These were tops for wafting and sweet purity of scent.

• kskitte
    19 years ago

Charisma--smells like honey
    KK

• angelsmell
    Original Author
    19 years ago

When I looked up Charisma in www.helpmefind.com for rose pictures it said Charisma was extinct...??????? Maybe you can post a picture..????

• ankraras
    19 years ago

Very little scent or strong scent, I love them all as long as they grow on a long study stem that
    I can cut them for vase.

{{gwi:12341}}
    Ankrara's Hobby Corner

• grovespirit
    19 years ago

My fave is Peace- has a fragrance that is spicy-sweet.

Also this rose tolerates drought better than most.

• whitejade
    19 years ago

I like Lagerfeld for fragrance too but have to smell it in other places because I don't have one ...yet! I'm working on it ...

It'd be really tough to pick any one or two or even twenty :) Stopping to smell the roses is one of my most favorite things to do !

• hemnancy
    19 years ago

Gertrude Jekyll has that heavenly old rose fragrance from Baronne Prevost. It's not a great bloomer and gets BS. I moved it and it is doing better in part shade than it did in full sun, go figure. BP is also a little disease prone and spindly, but I might try pruning it down a little more this year.

I've sniffed Sharifa Asma in a pot at Home Depot and couldn't smell much but maybe it does better in the ground.

Clothilde Soupert and Frances Dubreuil has been my best fragrances so far in OGR's. I have a bunch of Teas and Noisettes that should bloom this year so hopefully some of them will be nice.

• Molineux
    19 years ago

The first time I smelled Gertrude Jekyll the perfume was so strong that it reached out, knocked me over the head, then dragged me by the hair into a state of rosy euphoria. I've N-E-V-E-R smelled a more fragrant rose (and trust me when I say that I've smelled a lot).

• tangolady
    19 years ago

I love Secret! Great smell and beautiful flower!

• Desert_Son
    19 years ago

Tough question! I love so many...BUT! Fragrant Cloud tops the list. I SOO do not want to take my nose out of its blossoms.

I can't resist telling you some other favorites:

Fragrant Memory--I think it's called this because it opens too quick and before you know it has become exactly what it's named :-( Buds aplenty though (thorns too)

Cafe Ole--captivating "brown" mini with outrageous scent

Double Delight--who doesn't love it?

Anway, enjoy each and every one and happy sniffing!

Greg

• lpinkmountain
    18 years ago

Two hybrid teas I grew in my garden were "French Lace" and "Chrysler Imperial," along with "Mr. Lincoln." I'm not even sure if you can get French Lace anymore. I loved that rose, it was so delicate and cream colored. One year, due to me letting up on my pyrethrum dusting, the japaneese beetles ate it all up, zip zoom! One day it was there, seemingly the next it was gone. There was also one purple one that bit the dust, some type of "Angel" in the name, maybe Angel Face. These were all standard hybrid teas. I think Mr. Lincoln was my all time favorite.

• vml68
    18 years ago

I have grown some of the David Austin roses and while the plants did well, I did not find them particularly fragrant. I'd still grow them for the sheer number of blooms.
    Double delight, Mr Lincoln and Chryser Imperial smell awesome!

• sadovodka
    18 years ago

Barbara Streisand, especially if you cut it and have couple of them indoors in a vase you can smell them from several feet away.

• davidmark
    18 years ago

As far as I'm concerned, nothing beats the fragrance of the antique/OGR damasks. I grow Kazanluk, Duc de Cambridge, Four Seasons, Celsiana and Gloire de Guilan. They all emit a powerful, rich and really superb rose fragrance. If I had to choose one of them, it would be the Kazanluk (also known as Trigintipetala). That's probably why it's the main rose grown in Bulgaria for the production of rose oil for the perfume industry.