Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

Probable Sansevieria parva?

So I scored this ginormous plant today. Pretty certain it's Sansevieria parva which is supposed to flower in summer and smell like hyacinths (the common name is Kenya Hyacinth). Of course there was no tag on the plant and the workers didn't know the name either (besides sansevieria...aka mother-in-law's tongue or snake plant). It fits the bill of having 9"-16" long leaves and are around an inch across. The plant itself is huge! About 31" across and 22" tall.
My awesome partner talked them down from $20 to $13 so I had to take the chance...right? ;)
Hopefully I'll find out for sure if it blooms in summer and it smells awesome! :)

-Robert

This post was edited by robert1971 on Sat, Jan 19, 13 at 18:08

Comments (10)

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Close up of the leaves.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

I can't answer your questions, but the urge to separate this to multiple pots with more space is overwhelming! (And to remove the brown leaves.) But JMO. Lots of people probably like that look. That's a LOT of plant for $13!!!!!

I've never seen a Sans in a hanging basket before. Hopefully it has a hole in the true bottom of the pot. Most hanging baskets like that have a very dangerous reservoir at the bottom of about 1/2" that can't drain.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Purple!

You made me laugh. Thank you.
    The first pic is of the plant at the nursery before I took it home and removed the dead leaves and gave it some water. :)

If it is S. parva that species is commonly grown in hanging baskets since it spreads by underground runners.
    I agree it looks a little cramped but I don't want to do anything to see if it might bloom come summer.
    There's a hole in the bottom of the basket so the water runs through freely. Thank you for the tips though!

I also posted on the Sansevieria forum in hopes that some expert might be able to confirm the species.

If it does bloom and smells like hyacinths in the evenings then I've hit the jackpot! ;)

-Robert

11 years ago

Aha, I thought the 2nd pic looked nicely brown-leaf-free. Well done! Yes, good point, I would actually wait to see if it bloomed B4 messing with it. I didn't say I couldn't control my urges, just that they exist, and wasn't going to leave you with the impression it was something that should be done now, especially considering your hopes of blooms were a strong factor in your decision to purchase this massive plant. Hope yours does flower AND smell wonderful!

I think all Sans spread underground... ?

About that hole in the bottom, is it really at the bottom, or recessed in the middle, actually above the actual bottom surface of the pot? Don't think I've ever had a hanging pot that didn't need holes added to the real bottom surface.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Hey Robert! Very nice Sanseveria 'Galaxy' better known as 'Futura Superba Galaxy'!

They are so beautiful and can fill an entire pot within a years time. They do flower but I am not sure if they have a fragrance. Probably at night since the ones I saw had none at all during the day. I almost bought one too!

I do have a 'Parva' which looks almost like that, but the leaves have a more rounded edge and are much more stiffer. I have never seen them sold anywhere locally. The 'Parva' plant is another one of the E-bay or Internet finds if you dare go there!lol

Hope all is well

Hello Purple!

Mike

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Sun, Jan 20, 13 at 13:31

Original Author
    11 years ago

Purple,

It's my first sans so I've no idea if all produce runners...I'm a newbie! :)
    I just want another fragrant plant. Laugh.
    I took your suggestion and we drilled additional holes in the bottom. Thanks for the tip!

Mike,

You're breaking my heart!
    Really wanted it to be S. parva but I suppose if the hybrid S. 'Galaxy' also produces fragrant flowers at night then it won't be too bad. ;)
    So far I haven't been able to find much on 'Galaxy'.
    The one best pic I've come across the leaves look a bit more floppy than mine and a little wider so I'm still holding out hope!
    Thank you for the info though.

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: S. 'Galaxy'

Original Author
    10 years ago

My sansevieria finally bloomed today!
    Well it probably opened last night while I was sleeping. :)
    I only have a few blooms so far but to my nose it reminds me of citrus blossoms and hyacinths.
    I'm enjoying the scent but man is this plant huge!
    It definitely takes up a huge chunk of real estate.
    Also the flower spikes are very brittle and easily broken should you accidently knock into them.

-Robert

10 years ago

Yes! How awesome!! How beautiful with the pink tint. I'd love to see a new pic of the whole thing if you're in the mood for more sharing. I scratched & sniffed, but it's daytime, didn't smell a thing. Lucky you!

People will want to know - what kind of conditions has your plant been enjoying since January? Inside/outside? How much sun? Watering?

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Purple!

I took another pic this morning that shows a bit more of the plant.
    It was outside under the filtered light of the arbor to start with then I gradually exposed it to more and more sun during the growing season.
    I watered it once or twice a week depending on how hot it was (at least as far I remember that's what I did).
    I think the thing that really got it to bloom was I never repotted it. The poor thing is really root bound and in fact the cheap plastic hanging pot it is in is breaking apart.
    When it is done blooming I'll have to pot it into a larger pot.
    When it got cold it was moved inside to a sunny window at my partner's job until the flower spikes appeared then it was moved back home and it's been under the T5 lights in my bedroom. :)

-Robert

Original Author
    10 years ago

Last night I had to remove the plant from my bedroom since the scent was overpowering.
    I've also noticed the scent becomes more bitter for flowers that are over a day or two old (or maybe it's just the combination of so many blooms open at once that make the scent bitter?).

-Robert