Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Successive bloom jasmine vines?

Posted by princesspea sunset14 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 16, 14 at 19:08

Hi all,

My sweet husband loves the scent of jasmine (vining varieties) and has asked if I can plant it around his summertime outdoors office . In our area there are many available to grow outdoors but all seem to bloom once a year and then be done. I wonder if I can plant the trio of J. Polyanthum, J. Stephanese, and J. Officianale for a longer bloom time? Any other ideas? Should I add confederate jasmine also?
Things are appearing in our garden centers here in California where we are having a nice drought, heat wave and wildfires. May as well make the best of it.

Thanks!
Pea

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Successive bloom jasmine vines?

Princess,
Why not?
I would plant them all in pots. Seperately tho.
They tend to get big and the roots will choke each other out after a year or two, so just pot them in a good potting mix and put 3 pots outside of the window.
They should do fine, I have Confederate jasmine "Madison" planted in various areas outside, one in front of a window, and I am always trimming it.
Madison is evergreen, blooms white fragrant flowers iun May and June, and if you keep trimming it, it will bloom even later.

o

Add South African jasmine (jasminum angulare) to the list. I live in Orange County, CA. It blooms in our mild winters.

o

Thank you both! I will add the j. Angulare, is it at all shade tolerant?

I have lots of large pots lining my porch I can use, thanks for the tip about roots, I always forget that aspect of things .

Pea

o

Hi Pea!

Throwing in my two cents. ;)

Jasminum grandiflorum (single variety, grandiflorum blooms much longer than J. officinale however it's not as cold hardy)
Jasminum azoricum (not cold hardy so if you grow it in a pot you'll have to bring it indoors when it gets cold)
Jasminum molle (more bush like but it does send out 'whips' that you can tie to a trellis to help it 'climb', not cold hardy)
And finally Mandevilla laxa. Not a jasmine but neither is Trachelospermum jasminoides. :)

-Robert

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here