Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I asked for a discount on an orchid and got it!

Posted by robert1971 7a OK (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 12, 13 at 21:32

Thanks to Mike and Olympia Gardner I actually had the gumption to ask if they could do any better on an orchid on the clearance table at a local nursery. It was originally marked $40 and had 50% off. The kind lady quickly said she'd give me a 70% discount so it ended up being 12 bucks! I couldn't believe it. I never haggle over prices at flea markets (I let my partner do that) but now that I know it can work sometimes I'm so glad I asked! I even snapped a pic of it and planned on coming back to see if the price had dropped but now it's in my home! :)
I believe it's the cattleya hybrid Lc. Purple Cascade 'Fragrance Beauty'. No name tag however the company (Crystal Bloom) does offer that variety and it looks similar to the pic of that orchid that beetle 2007 posted in the Blooming in December thread.
It smells great even though the bloom has obviously been open for a while and is on its last leg and it's huge! About 14" tall and 16" wide.
Woo hoo!
Hope I can keep it alive and get it to bloom again next year (it's my first cattleya).

-Robert

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I asked for a discount on an orchid and got it!

A view of the whole plant.

-Robert

o

• Posted by Tolip Tropical (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 13, 13 at 0:35

What's this? Panda cattleya?

o

Wow that's pretty! I would have gladly paid that for it.

o

well done robert, in Greece we always do that lately...
What does it smell like??

o

I like the name Panda orchid!

Dang it. I knew someone would ask me what it smells like. ;)
You know I'm terrible at this.
It's got a high note of sugary lemon (Lemon Drops candy?) mixed with a floral scent. My partner thought rose mixed with honeysuckle and maybe lemon.
I've read this variety only blooms once a year. :(
I was hoping to get some blooms in the spring and fall/winter.
Anyway I like the scent though a non gardening friend thought it 'smelled like old women like most of your plants do'. The jerk. Laugh.

-Robert

o

Hey everyone! Hey Robert!

I didn't get a discount on this purchase but look what I found today at my local nursery...

A $13 orange flowering osmanthus!! Yayy. Here's the whole plant:

o

Here's a close up of the flowers..

o

OMG! That's freaking huge! How lucky you are.
Okay...I'll be like fenius and ask about the scent. ;)
How does it compare to a regular white Osmanthus fragrans?

-Robert

o

Hey Robert. Lol. It smells just like the regular tea olive to me. I was so surprised to see the orange flowers so I just had to buy it. This is a Monrovia plant and they label it as osmanthus fragrans. I'm thinking that it must be an os fragrans 'aurantiacus' or a hyrid of aurantiacus.

o

As I am laughing Robert, I must say WOW..lol

Seriously, we don't have an effect on you like that do we? Hageling for an Orchid or two?lol

By the way, I have NEVER seen a Cattalya in bloom before sold anywhere locally at any store, other than the Orchid greenhouse. Way to go buddy! It's a beauty and must smell heavenly.

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here