Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
friedabyler

Jasmine for Window Boxes?

friedabyler
12 years ago

I'm currently planning/dreaming about what to plant in some window boxes on the southwest side of our house. I'd like to create a sunny sort of patio nook, with pots, planters, and boxes, overflowing with fragrant and beautiful flowers. I expect during the hottest part of the summer, it will be used mostly in the evening, with candles and soft lighting, so anything that wafts fragrance at night will also be appreciated, as well as softer, lighter colored flowering plants.

I should add, that there is also a gigantic oak in the back yard, which casts considerable shade, except for 4-5 hours in the afternoon/evening. I'm afraid that may be a bit of a problem for some things, as many fragrant plants like to be shaded at that time, however the few hours of sun will be during the hottest part of the day, unfortunately.

Last summer, I had verbena planted in the boxes, and although pretty and colorful, they gave no fragrance. This year, as some of our hardscaping plans take shape, we'll be spending more time in that space, rather than racing past, so I'd like something more special. Perennial plants are fine, as well as something that can winter in the basement.

I picked up some "Asian Star" Jasmines toward the end of the season last year, and wonder whether those might work.

Anyone growing that? If so, does it bloom for a long period of time, or will I need to swap out the window boxes?

Any other suggestions for the window boxes or for fragrant plants in pots or planters that are favorites for this type of situation? I do have a very fragrant Dutchess de Brabant tea rose, planted in a large pot, that did amazingly well in that space last year, as well as a "common" jasmine in a pot.

Comments (2)