Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jasmine for Window Boxes?

Posted by posyplanter 7 Va (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 14, 12 at 21:49

I'm currently planning/dreaming about what to plant in some window boxes on the southwest side of our house. I'd like to create a sunny sort of patio nook, with pots, planters, and boxes, overflowing with fragrant and beautiful flowers. I expect during the hottest part of the summer, it will be used mostly in the evening, with candles and soft lighting, so anything that wafts fragrance at night will also be appreciated, as well as softer, lighter colored flowering plants.
I should add, that there is also a gigantic oak in the back yard, which casts considerable shade, except for 4-5 hours in the afternoon/evening. I'm afraid that may be a bit of a problem for some things, as many fragrant plants like to be shaded at that time, however the few hours of sun will be during the hottest part of the day, unfortunately.
Last summer, I had verbena planted in the boxes, and although pretty and colorful, they gave no fragrance. This year, as some of our hardscaping plans take shape, we'll be spending more time in that space, rather than racing past, so I'd like something more special. Perennial plants are fine, as well as something that can winter in the basement.
I picked up some "Asian Star" Jasmines toward the end of the season last year, and wonder whether those might work.
Anyone growing that? If so, does it bloom for a long period of time, or will I need to swap out the window boxes?
Any other suggestions for the window boxes or for fragrant plants in pots or planters that are favorites for this type of situation? I do have a very fragrant Dutchess de Brabant tea rose, planted in a large pot, that did amazingly well in that space last year, as well as a "common" jasmine in a pot.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jasmine for Window Boxes?

i don't grow that one but it will probably be fine. supposed to be hardier than confederate jasmine. neither are true jasmines but both are quite fragrant. confederate jasmine is a very strong grower down here and more ofter used as a climber. i am sure they could be used similarly to spill over the sides of containers but may require a lot of pruning. used that way, you will be able to contain it as they like to run and climb way out of bounds.
confederate jasmine bloomed for me about 4-6 weeks, begining in may.
an old-fashioned favorite for window boxes are petunias. grandparents had them in boxes along the banisters of the front porch and the fragrance on warm evenings takes me back to those times.
i have found that the dark purple ones and white ones seems to be most fragrant.
sweet peas are another old fashioned plant used in this way.

o
RE: Jasmine for Window Boxes?

Thanks Jeff, for the response. Pruning won't be a problem, since I love an excuse to cut stems for vases anyway. I grow the Confederate Jasmine on a trellis. So far, I've really enjoyed it. I prune it lightly in midsummer after the first bloom, and it repeats for me. It also stays evergreen.
Thanks for reminding me of sweetpeas!!! I love their fragrance! Would they do ok getting blasted with a few hours of sun in the hottest part of the afternoon?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here