Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help ID a plant

Posted by kskitte z6 NW AR (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 27, 05 at 22:18

Hi,
My husbands grandmother had a shrub that smelled strongly of ripe bananas, nondescript little flowers, and was really an ordinary green bush, nothing fancy to look at in Louisiana. But the bees loved it and it smelled great. Any ideas?

KK

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help ID a plant

It called Banana Shrub or Michelia Figo. the flower is small cream color it smell is strong in the evening.

o

Hi, kskitte. Jyothi is right. It is Michelia figo, aka banana shrub, also used to be called magnolia fuschata.

It is a wonderful scent, very beautiful, one of the loveliest to my nose. If it were hardy here, I'd have dozens of them!

In zone 6 it's not hardy all the way, but can take temperatures to 20 or a little below, maybe 15, you'd have to check to be exact. So you may be able to winter it outdoors for most of the winter, just bringing it into your house or garage for the very coldest nights.

If you need help finding one, Jan's nursery and nurcar (North Carolina nurseries) offer large blooming-size ones at reasonable prices.

o
RE: help ID a plant-- oops

I think I made a mistake -- it may be called magnolia figo.

o

do ya'll hav any idea whether or not this plant will do ok in a pot. We can get a bit too cold here, 4 miles south of Missouri. Also, how big it might get?
thanks

KK

o

Hi, Kitte. I'm in St Louis, and I grow two in pots. They are hardy to below 20. They do great here left out in the winter til it gets to about 20 or so, then into the garage during the coldest period. This year I brought one in and left one out. The one left out was in the garage for two nights and then for about a week.

They can be kept to about 3-4 feet.

o

Thanks ya'll for the info. Now the question is, how do i find one, LOL

KK

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here