Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

Petunia 'Cottage Queen'

Has anyone ever sniffed this petunia?
I noticed it at Lowe's offered by Burpee.
Looks like the old fashioned vining petunias which are fragrant but I've found no info online about Cottage Queen being fragrant.

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: Petunia 'Cottage Queen'

Comments (23)

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ugh. I really need to stop buying petunia seeds.
    In addition to buying more old fashioned vining petunia seeds from Seed Savers Exchange I bought some Petunia axillaris seeds from a seller on Etsy then I came across an article stating that 'Daddy Blue' is even more fragrant than the old fashioned vining so I bought seeds for them off ebay. Laugh.

Looks like I should have a lot of petunias to sniff this summer!

-Robert

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Robert have you sowed your petunia seeds?

Original Author
    9 years ago

Ha! No. I should but I've no room. Guess I could rig something up. :)

• true_blue
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Me neither. Inspired by your post, I got some heirloom varieties. Seems I have to use a heat mat as these guys love heat.

Btw your Millingtonia thread was quite surreal and rather hilarious :-)

Original Author
    9 years ago

Ha! Yes, it was quite funny.

• myermike_1micha
    9 years ago
    Hey Robert, I feel your addiction...ha..I had a whole basket come back after sitting in the winters snow all season! It was my best surprise batch of Petnunias all summer until the caterpillars got to them.At first I tought they were weeds growing on top of the old soil mix and coco nut basket.Thank God I didn't throw it away and start over.I was in love with the very fragrant blue..They were by best hanging basket annuals by far! The only ones I care to see and smell every day...
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! We are fine. I managed to bring down the jasmines and other potted treasures before the strong winds and hail started (we never got a tornado but a small town nearby did). It was a little cramped down in the basement with the plants while we rode out the storm. ;)

We've got cooler temps at night again so most things are back inside under the lights. Glad I didn't try to start any seeds yet! Still I'm hoping I can start leaving things outside so I can start all my babies including my Daddy Blue petunias. :)

• true_blue
    9 years ago

That's great news, I'm relieved :-)

I planted my vining Petunia's. But I didn't bother to put them under lights. Their on the window edge getting their heat from the radiators...

Original Author
    9 years ago

Now you're making me feel bad for being a slacker! I also need to start my old fashioned vining ones plus milkweeds for the Monarchs, etc. Too many seeds and not enough room! Laugh.

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Robert don't feel bad.

I read that Petunias need to be started quite early compared to other annuals. So this is an halfhearted attempt.
    I'm sort of "trying" to take a break from planting seeds ;-)

You're patient with your milkweeds. One year I got the roots of the orange flowered milkweeds at a box store. They were well worth it. They are so tough. I was forced to transplant them when they were in flower. They resurrected last year....

I would have loved to get some swamp milkweed (Asclepias incarnata). Heard that they are fragrant ;-)

Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, they are...but check out what Annie says of the garden thug that is Asclepias syriaca - http://www.anniesannuals.com/plants/view/?id=3487

Bought some seeds of that as well but if I do grow some will probably keep them in pots but I want to sniff lilacs and hyacinths! :)

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Robert, it might make you laugh.
    Check this thread by yours truly....

Original Author
    9 years ago

Cinnamon and clove sounds delicious!

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Especially on hot & humid days, it can be quite over powering :-)

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Robert had some germination yesterday. Did you sow your Petunias?

Original Author
    9 years ago

Congrats! Ha. Not yet. :(

Though I did just look for Daddy Blue petunias at local nurseries around town on my lunch break. ;)

I need to quit neglecting my seeds and sow them. I just get so busy with repotting plants and watering outside that I neglect the inside stuff. :)

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Yeah, probably it's easier bought at the nurseries than grown from seeds ;-)

Original Author
    8 years ago

Yay! The lazy man has lucked out again! Finally found some 'Daddy Blue' petunias. They're small, ratty and underfed from being in their cells for too long. Repotted them and fertilized them and then when they're lush I'll sniff them some evening and see if their scent is worth it. :)

• true_blue
    8 years ago

Good keep us posted. My first bunch of vining petunias were massacred by an overzealous squirrel, forgot to cover them with chicken wire :-(
    Several survived. Thankfully I have another pot under the lights. :-)

Original Author
    8 years ago

I freaking hate squirrels! They've been digging in EVERY one of my pots and causing havoc.

I sprinkled cayenne on top of the soil and that worked until I watered then I tried toothpicks which do an okay job except when the mix is loose then they simply dig them out. Next I'm trying 12" bamboo skewers. Let them skewer themselves trying to dig those out! Laugh.

• true_blue
    8 years ago

Be happy that rain washed the Cayenne . Once the squirrel got so mad that it destroyed my seedlings, quite understandably. A squirrels in nuts by definition, a squirrel burning with Cayenne is like the roadrunner on speed!
    Nowadays I use friendly persuasion: In case of established plants, I put broken terra cotta, piece, stones, rocks etc. With seedlings chicken wire :-)

Original Author
    8 years ago

Finally a good use for broken terracotta pots, eh? ;)

Rocks and broken pots work great (unless they don't weigh enough and then the darn critters just knock them out of the pots). The problem I face is I have so many pots and especially huge pots for my brugmansias that it would require a truck load of rocks to cover the tops of that many pots! Laugh.

I went ahead and sniffed some Daddy Blue petunias at night and some have a pleasing vanilla scent (some do not, I guess being seed grown you're going to get variability scent wise). Too bad I didn't buy them at night so I could just pull out the ones that weren't strongly scented and replace them from cells that were. :)