Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who has Chloranthus spicatus?

Posted by kemistry 8a - oregon (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 6, 11 at 22:50

Is anyone currently growing this plant? And will you be able to spare 1 or 2 cuttings this coming Spring? (for trade - postage - or .., very please?) :)

I've been chasing after this plant ever since I learned about it last year; it's supposed to be an easy houseplant with very pleasing fragrance similar to the adorable Aglaia odorata's.

:)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who has Chloranthus spicatus?

i'm bumping this down; thank you. :)

o

Hi Kem,

I do have it. It is small cuttings. A year ago, a generous Gardenweber sent me cuttings. They are growing for me now. I did not have any blooms yet. Waiting for them. I will be able to send you cuttings in a year, if you have no luck until then. Regards..

o

Thanks Radha! I've also found a generous GWeber for cuttings this coming Spring, but I'll bug you next year if this doesn't work out.

I hope yours will bloom for you this year! :)

o

I am looking it for years but no luck. If anyone is currently growing this plant and will be able to spare 1 or 2 cuttings this Spring, please let me know (I don't have anything for trade but I will pay for it). Thanks!

o

Minhdy11,

Please click on "My Page" by my user name and send me an e-mail. I may be able to help.

Cheers,
Ispahan

o

Can anyone tell me when does it smell. I am surprised at the really inconspicous flowers. They come in a bunch of inflorescence, green in color and turned slight yellow. I was waiting for them to get slightly bigger, but I noticed today that 2 of the inflorescences are already spent. I could not detect any smell. Is any particular time, or stage of the flower is fragrant?

o

The flowers are scented in the morning I believe. :)

o

For me, they are fragrant throughout the daylight hours but perhaps most fragrant in late morning-early afternoon. The flower scent is much stronger from a distance than it is up close, and one open bloom panicle can lightly but pervasively scent the still air of an indoor room.

While this plant does not have flashy flowers, I find them to be quietly and unusually beautiful and elegant.

o

Please post some pictures when you have the time.

I'm going through a fragrance-withdrawal period right now.
The Michelia figo just got done blooming; freesia are taking their sweet time to emerge and tuberose are just starting to sprout. Next to bloom is probably the gardenia, but that won't be for another month or two. At least it's Spring. :o)

o

Hello ,
I am desperate looking for this plant as well .
If any one have any cutting to share , I would like to trade some of my fragrant seedling or cutting that i have .
Please email me , hope we can trade .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here