Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cedardave

Jasmine losing leaves fast....help

cedardave
17 years ago

I have an 8 foot tall Jasmine tree...not sure what variety. It has just finished a massive bloom and has set lots of seed pods. It seems to be losing lots and lots of leaves. Is it normal for these to almost defoliate after a bloom?? It is located in a warm room in the house...decant humidity...skylights above. Palm trees in the same room seem to be ok. Do I have a bug or am I just a worrier.

Comments (8)

• eswar
    17 years ago

I have jasmines in my house from 1985.

I lost few plants before with the same problem as you have.
    I relocated 2 years ago. Some of the plants are in the bath room and some are in the dining room.
    The plants in the dining room are loosing the leaves fast. Nearly dried out. The night queen cestrum looks almost dead.
    Recently there is a posting in this forum about How to prevent it. Thanks to him.
    The tropical plant needs HUMIDITY.
    In winter months the dry air from the heat pump, without any humidity is detrimental.
    This may sound silly but this is what helped the plants. Since these plants are not very large like yours, I keep them in the bath room and do not turn on the vent fan. The humidity from the shower helped.
    I am thinking of purchasing a Humidifier. I will also try to keep a wet cloth or diaper Over the potting soil.
    The soil (planting medium, when I checked crusted out. I loosened it. The vent for the heat pump is right on the plants.
    Perhaps others can chip on.
    Regards.

• jimshy
    17 years ago

Cedar Dave,

Not sure what kind of plant you have -- jasmines don't have seed pods. Can you give more of a description -- what kind of leaves and flowers?

If I had to guess, I'd say the plant was stressed by the combo of a big flowering and low light/humidity during the winter. If the roots are ok it should come back -- just don't overwater it while it's growing new leaves, or you'll risk root rot.

Second thing -- remove all seed pods, unless you want one or two to save seeds from. The tree needs all its energy to produce new leaves, so it's much better off without the seed pods.

Hope this helps!

Jim

• cedardave
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The leaves are about an inch oval. The flowers bloom in large clusters of white... look like the end of a trumpet when in full bloom. What I have assumed to be seed pods are occurring on the spent flower branches. The seed pods I am refering to start out as small light red and darken as they get larger. There are loads of these coming. I havent been able to figure out how to post a picture here yet. The leaves that are falling off(most of them) seem to be otherwise healthy and green. They arent dry or damaged in any obvious way. May be the plant is just stressed. The humidity sits around 30%....not great but seems adequete for maintaining bananas and palms... I didnt think Jasmine would be as finniky as it seems to be.

• siliconmage
    17 years ago

"" The humidity sits around 30%....not great but seems adequete for maintaining bananas and palms... I didnt think Jasmine would be as finniky as it seems to be.""

I'd find some way to get the humidity to 50%. This will also help new leaf growth. Misting only does so much.

• jimshy
    17 years ago

Cedardave -- what you got here is an orange jasmine, murreya paniculata or exotica. They tend to bloom in waves; they grow new twigs and leaves, which then put out buds.

I still say that a massive bloom in the winter, with all the plant's energy going into ripening those little orange fruits, at a time when available light is pretty low, is what's stressing the plant out.

Don't soak it in response to the leaf drop, keep it barely moist, and -- this is the most important part -- pick off most of the fruits so that they don't keep straining the plant's resources. Now that day length is increasing up north, it'll recover and be ready to put out a new flush of growth and flowers in the spring!

Hope all goes well,

Jim

• mersiepoo
    17 years ago

I have a jasmine that is P.O'd at me, I took it off it's nice sunny shelf with a great view, into a dank cold basement we are living in at the moment. I think it figured it was a temporary situation, and didn't lose its leaves for a month. After it got cabin fever from staying down there since October, it's started fighting back by dropping its leaves and not speaking to me. I told it that if it plays nicey nice I got it a pretty clay pot to move into this spring! I think it's considering my offer because its got a tiny leaf bud at the base. We'll see if it decides to just keel over and die or not. You have my sympathy!!!

• Patriz
    17 years ago

If they are red berries with a whitish seed inside, then you may have Lakeview Jasmine. Murraya paniculata, as Jim pointed out. My L. Jasmines like it humid with lots of bright light. They also need full sun, otherwise they drop leaves in lowered light/humidity conditions. They will leave out from being twiggy once you get them in sun outdoors during the summer.
    Here are some photos:
    {{gwi:783628}}Photo credit Gold Medal growers

• Patriz
    17 years ago

Open the link and scroll down on the thread to see an excellent photo of seeds, flowers and leaves....

Here is a link that might be useful: Images on link