Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joanmary_z10

A tropical beauty

joanmary_z10
19 years ago

I received this as an exchange plant, not knowing what it was. Its exquisite and fragrant too.

{{gwi:783888}}

Comments (16)

• joanmary_z10
    Original Author
    19 years ago

What happened!!! I saw the lovely flower head here and now its disappeared!

• joanmary_z10
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Received the flower in an exchange and would like to identify it. Will try to reload it again. What did I do wrong, I wonder???

{{gwi:783890}}

• jimshy
    19 years ago

It's hard to tell from a small picture, but it looks like it might be a dombeya -- can you tell us more details about it? The Tropical Flowering Tree Society (see link below) may be a good place to look for an ID, as well.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Tropical Flowering Tree Society

• joanmary_z10
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the i.d. Jim. Its a DOMBEYA WALLICHII, a 'tropical hydrangea tree', growing up to 15'.

What a delightful surprise to see this lovely flower - and to find its fragrant too!

http://www.rareflora.com/dombeyawa.htm

• joanmary_z10
    Original Author
    19 years ago

If Webshots won't allow the display of the photos we, as paying members $36. for the year....must question the value of having an account there. I certainly only took a membership out so that I could upload my photos there and share them with others. I have had a huge amount of glitches I have had to get over, and have still not sorted out all the problems since I went from just a limited number of photos, member, to a Paying Member. Not worth it, I think!

Do you know of other web sites where I can download a largish number of photos and where I can upload them say, to GardenWeb, etc, without the eternal problems? Would appreciate any input and comments you offer.

Its so annoying!

• risingpower1
    19 years ago

How about photobucket.com? It's free too.

• Clare_CA
    19 years ago

JoanMary, I can see both pictures that you posted: the big one and the little one. It may have something to do with your browser or security program? Here is your big picture:

{{gwi:783888}}

Can you see your picture now? By the way, your plant is lovely.

• joanmary_z10
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Tried this on the Test forum and it worked. Holding thumbs here .....This is known as Dombeya Wallichii, Tropical Hydrangea Tree. Simply gorgeous and wonderfully fragrant. Here goes:...

{{gwi:783893}}

• joanmary_z10
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Whew, hard work, but there it is!

• joanmary_z10
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I quit!

• yacheryl
    19 years ago

Joanmary, this is the Dombeya I told you have to have!
    Isn't the smell absolutly wonderful in the morning!
    I trim mine up into a "tree" shape, because they can become a 12 foot wide bush!
    I'm so glad you got one!
    I have a white flowering dombeya that is highly fragrant, too, and blooms longer! -from Nov to May.
    The pinks bloom Dec thru April

The D. Seminoles are in bloom down there, but as you know, they have no fragrance at all!
    ......cheryl

Here is a link that might be useful: white dombeya

• joanmary_z10
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Your white is lovely Cheryl.

A delightful surprise finding the flower blooming AND being fragrant as well! Wish I could remember who did the exchange with me, I'd love to thank them!

• longriver
    19 years ago

It seems I am hearing White House recording.

Because direct or indirect of legal issue, to post a picture is possible, but not very friendly. I have opened a free photo site yet I am not getting around to use it. To use to much web space on this forum by many is my concern for the obvious reason of limited space.

May be somewhere there is an alternative?

• Clare_CA
    19 years ago

"Because direct or indirect of legal issue, to post a picture is possible, but not very friendly."

Huh?

Posting pictures which are stored on other sites doesn't take up web space. There are no problems of limited space on this forum or GardenWeb's other forums. What you just said made no sense at all. Posting pictures is usually most appreciated by gardeners. You are the first person to call picture posting "not very friendly"; unless you are talking about posting other people's copyrighted pictures. Perhaps English isn't your fist language, and we have a communication problem.

• joanmary_z10
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Dombeya Wallichi using Photobucket {{gwi:783896}}

• joanmary_z10
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Ahh, there it is. Hope it ...stays there! I've given up oh Webshots and am now using Photobucket! I cant believe the picture is so large here!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz