Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Yellow veining?

meyermike_1micha
15 years ago

I was hoping someone might be able to tell me what causes yellow veining of gardenia leaves?

This is just starting to happen to the older leaves on my 2 plants in 4 inch pots. They are both in peatmoss potting soil, and in full sun. They are about 6 inches tall, and just past a couple of blossoms on each. Just the veins are a yellow to a deep yellow. Eventually they are easy to pull off. They are watered correctly, since these little pots dry out quite thoroughly.

I was wondering if it might be an Iron difficiency?

If so, will it be alright if I start using some iron since they are in a very active growing stage?

Thanks so much!

Comments (7)

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

Iron chlorosis usually presents as yellow/pale leaves and green veins on newest growth.

• jimshy
    15 years ago

With small plants, you've got small rootballs --I'd be careful not to let them dry out too much between waterings, or you'll end up with damaged roots, which can also cause leaves to yellow and drop. Go easy on any iron or other fertilizer at this stage, they don't need too much!

Jim

• mersiepoo
    15 years ago

Mine are doing that too, but they are so screwed up. Remember, they like some water, but not too much...they like to be dry, but not too dry. And they like moist soil, but not too moist. And then if you don't water them their leaves fall off! GAH! And if you fertilize them the new leaves turn black, and if you don't fertilize them at every watering their leaves fall off. And if you look at them cross eyed the new leaves turn black. ARGH!!

Ok, my one book says this: If leaves are yellowing, it's iron chlorosis. OR it could be from not getting enough water. If your plant looks like a palm tree (leaves only on ends of plant), then it's drought stress and/or not fertilizing enough.

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Every book I've read on Gardenias state they need an Iron suppliment 2-3 times per year. If iron is the problem, it's said to apply iron immediately, otherwise, add as a preventive.
    There's a little iron in most fertilizers, but not enough to make much difference.

Merci, you are hilarious! We should dump are gardenias in the trash, end it all! lol..Toni

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Mersie, you are a trip!! I just love reading your posts, it keeps me in stitches, LOL...

Explain to me again, why do we put up with these plants?
    We must be a glutton for punishment...why else would we put up with all the cr*p these plants puts us through!!

Without a doubt...Like Mersie said, this plant is the most finicky and tempermental plant I have ever grown. It always wants or needs something...like me, very high maintenance, LOL...just asks my DH.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mersie!!!!!!!!!!!
    lololol
    I needed it.....jeesh, if your denias had a sense of humor, they would ask for no attenetion and do well!

The next time you shop for your next denia, after the others have died of course, you should specifically ask for the strain that only require a sense of humor! No sun, water, fertilizer, iron, Mg,humidity, bug sprays or coversation needed!
    lolololol. Oh ya, ones that like to bathe with owner too...lololol
    O man, we should have a denia party for all the survivors of this terrible winter by this coming memorial day..Sounds good?

Mine are doing much better now. Thanks so much. I can't rememeber what they wanted...Oh wait, I gave them a pacifier full of Mg, and they stoppped crying.

Thanks everyone for being so kind to help!:-)

• mersiepoo
    15 years ago

Hi everyone! I'm glad you guys can enjoy my ravings, lol! ;) I tell ya, it's really crazy. I think that my downfall was when I decided to shower with that infernal plant. It basically leached any fertilizer out of the soil is what it did! Shortly after that, the leaves started turning yellow. So, I broke down and got some algo flash. I got DH to put a light on the plant. I also got some cheleated iron too. I read that Logee's book, and paged to the problems with plants. I read about how if the lowers leaves are turning yellow and dropping it may because of not enough fertilizer, so I gave it some algoflash and a little bit of iron, and a tiny bit of vinegar.
    I then summoned Satan and sold my soul to the P.O.D. Since I did that, the plant actually seems to be recovering!! Can you believe it could be THAT easy?!? Just sell your soul!! I found the SECRET to gardenia growing, people!!! YES!!!! So if any of you guys needs your plant to come back from the dead and get wonderful blooms, just dial up Satan on the ol' Ouija board, and poof! Problems solved! Should have thought of that a long time ago. I'll post my pictures of new leaves that are actually GROWING...seriously! And it's even got buds on it, but they are still small, so I've been keeping lights on the plant.

See? There is a connection. Gardenia's are EVIL. Satan is Evil. Gardenia = Plant of the Devil.

I'll post a picture so you guys can see I'm not lying! :D

I just wish that these bumps on my forehead weren't so hard to conceal.... ;> BWAHHHHAAAHHAAAHHHAAAA.......

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?