Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Golden Magic Gardenia opinions

Posted by ging 7a (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 12:02

Hi!
I'm hoping I can get the straight 'poop' on this gardenia. I've been looking at photos of the blooms on this gardenia and found one that makes me think there's a lot of photoshopping or tweaking going on with the pictures. The photo I found that makes me wonder shows less of a golden/yellow coloration and more of a phenomenon I've seen before with flowers of this type; a slow browning/tanning of the petals as they get more leathery and dry. I was thinking about getting one for my father-in-law as he's a big gardenia fan, but not if that's what he's going to be possibly disappointed by when it blooms. I'll see if I can add the link to the photo I'm talking about, but no matter what I'd love your thoughts and experiences.
Got to say, I almost feel badly about how easy we have it with gardenias here - you can almost toss them out on the ground and they will thrive. My FIL that I mentioned earlier propagated over a hundred for his church by whacking off a bit of the branches and putting them in water filled jugs outside. That was the extent of the 'care' they got until he potted them up. Just amazing how tough they are here - like everybody else, though, we have our complete and utter impossibilities for some plants. It's the same all over, right? :)
Thanks for any help,
Ging

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo Golden Magic Gardenia bloom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Golden Magic Gardenia opinions

Do you want a Gardenia that stays white until it turns brown? Or are you trying to make sure this one does turn yellow? Or a particular yellow?

Oops, there's no poop here at all...!

o

• Posted by ging 7a (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 16:42

Hi purpleinopp,
I'm trying to find out if the gardenia actually turns yellow. The photo doesn't really look like it's turning 'yellow'. It looks more like the typical slow death of a gardenia bloom to me. I've never had the opportunity to see one in person and I was wondering if anyone had seen the actual coloration.
Ging

o

That looks like the ones that are ubiquitous to this older neighborhood, they do turn yellow. If it is a new cultivar that's supposed to be even more yellow, I don't see why it wouldn't be accurate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here