Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fishdelasol

Jasmine Sambac not growing/flourishing

fishdelasol
13 years ago

I live in SE Florida and cannot get my two jasmine plants to grow. I have had them for two years! They aren't dead, but they don't grow, get leafy, or produce flowers. They are twiggy with minimal new growth and some green leaves.

We re-located them to a new location two months ago thinking that they might be too close to the pavers, but they are the same. Palm fertilizer hasn't had an effect and neither has miracle grow. They are in full-sun, in sandy well-drained soil, and get water 2-3 times per week between sprinklers and rain (during winter) and daily from rain in summer.

Any advice?

Comment (1)

• jimshy
    13 years ago

I suspect root rot, despite the well-drained soil, if they're getting hit by sprinklers and watered as well. If your growing season has begun and you're not getting new growth, gently dig them up and look at the root ball -- is it small for the size of the plant, are there brown, mushy roots on the outside? You might try growing in pots for a season or so, in potting mix with some sand added, in order to re-establish roots. Also, until you see healthy new growth, don't fertilize!

How much sun do they get? Lots of sun but protection from hot afternoon sun in summer is what they need, especially while young.

Hope this helps!

Jim