Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooting a Michelia Alba branch?

Posted by AngelSmell Fullerton, CA 1 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 17, 05 at 12:27

This morning a huge palm tree leave fell on my Michelia Alba, it knocked off 2 branches.... I'm so bummed, do you think I can put in root hormone and try to root the branches, they are not woody, still green?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooting a Michelia Alba branch?

I know Master Gardeners with sophisticated propagation equipment who have not been able to root cuttings of Michelia x alba, but you've got nothing to lose by trying! I would suggest water rooting in a very humid greenhouse type environment.

o

AngelSmell, Michelia alba is not impossible to root. Trying is half the fun. In trying you might discover things previously unknown. Good luck
Cal

Here is a link that might be useful: www.photobucket.com

o

• Posted by kukiat z11+Thailand (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 18, 05 at 10:51

Lately, a friend of mine, who owns a nursery in Thailand, propagates M. alba from cuttings. He used very young shoots and put them under mist and in full sun. I am not sure what kind of hormone he used. But it really works! With this technique he can produce a lot of trees with less time and much cheaper. In my opinion timing (of the year) is also very important for the success rate. One drawback is... it is very young and will take a longer time to bloom.

Kukiat

o

Hi Dr. kukiat, it is nice to hear from you again. Yes the very young shoots will root under mist while an older shoot will produce flower within a year! From experience timing and geographic location are very important but the most important factor is the mother plant! Grafting still seems to be the fastest way to induce flowering especially with a well developed root system as can be seen from the picture on Michelia champaca. Have you read the fall/winter 2004 issue of Magnolia? (Magnolia Society) it has an article on tissue culture of Magnolia sirindhorniae

Here is a link that might be useful: http://photobucket.com

o

I will put the little branches (12 in) in hormone powder and put in a pot, what do I have to loose? Thank you so much for the encouragement.... maybe I'll be successful?

o

• Posted by kukiat z11+Thailand (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 19, 05 at 8:18

Hi Cal, it is nice to hear from you, too. I haven't read this issue of Magnolias yet. It is quite interesting. Grafting and cuttings (young shoots) are still the very popular methods of propagation for Magnolias in Thailand.

I have two big Sirindhorniae trees in my garden but they are still too young to flower. They were from seeds from the original trees in the jungle since the year they were first found.

Kukiat

o

I live in San Francisco and I have a michelia alba tree grow in my backyard for almost 30 years, and it is about 30 feet tall. Each year it blooms a lot of very fragrant flowers. On June 2011, I airlayered my michelia alba tree and on July 2012 I discovered that the airlayering part had the roots coming out of the pouch. I am so happy!!! I have been strying so much on airlayering, but nonne of them were successed!!!! But this time it worked!!!

o

May be this picture is better to see the roots coming out on the airlayering!!!

o

This is my tree 3 years in the ground. I just started airlayering 2 month ago. just wish me luck. M.alba airlayering

o

Hi Sam89 - please keep us posted and thanks for sharing your progress with us.

Kasie

o

Sam 89, you should airlayering the side branches not the main branch. But you have to wait for the side branches grow a little bit bigger before you start airlayering them. May be a year or two later. Before if your main airlayering branch has roots, that mean you will cut the main branch of the tree, then your michelia alba will have no main branch going straight up. Good luck. Please check on my posting on my airlayering my michelia alba on July 28 2012.

o

Mick, I chose main branch to airlayer on because I want to limit its height. I'm afraid this tree get too tall for me to maintain. As you can see it is located close to my neighbor's wall.

o

I trnsplanted my airlayered michelia abla into a pot on Aug 2012, but today I noticed that the top two branches are turning brown. I think that the two branches are dying. But at the bottom branches are still green. I hope it is not dying. Any good advises to save the tree? Thank you. See the picture below.

o

Hi Mikey - cut off the dead branches so that it won't continue to move down further. To me, your Michelia look promising. Happy growing and you'll have to keep us updated.

Kasie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here