Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrant2008

Blooming in Febuary

fragrant2008
10 years ago

Just thought i would start a blooming in feb post going as all seems pretty quite so far. I know you have been having alot of prob with freezing temps over there and here in the uk we are having a few problems with floods :(
So not much blooming outside still waiting on my prunus mumes but a few new fragrant orchids have opened

Dendrobium not 100% what variety might be Heterocapum nice fragrance

Coelogyne Cristata

Dendrobium jonesii said to be a spicy fragrance but reminds me more of fresh hay

Comments (27)

• phoebe368
    10 years ago

kumquat growing in a pot

• phoebe368
    10 years ago

Fragrant Chinese Sacred Lily Bulb. smells citrusy

• phoebe368
    10 years ago

Orchid - Oncidium "Twinkle" I didn't know orchids could be this fragrant. Went to an orchid show and picked it up. Smells chocolatey - floral.

• phoebe368
    10 years ago

Zygopetalum orchid that I picked up at the same orchid show. Has a strong jasmine floral scent.

• phoebe368
    10 years ago

picture of bonsai from a show I went to recently. Don't know what it is.

• phoebe368
    10 years ago

Ylang Ylang tree (cananga odorata) that arrived this week from Gardino's nursery. very pleased with the quality.

• phoebe368
    10 years ago

Climbing ylang ylang (artabotrys hexapetalus) from the same order.

• fenius
    10 years ago

Hey guys!! where was this post when I started the same one yesterday???!!!
    I have a few things again!!
    my daphne is not doing very well but it still bloomed with a heavenly lemon scent..

which goes perfectly with the heavenly vanilla scent of my edgeworthia -because of Mike!

my d. nobile

and last my telosma decided to bloom inside after I kept unraveling it from the tv wires..

• fragrant2008
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi phoebe368 beautiful photos really like your Oncidium "Twinkle" nice big fat and healthy pseudobulbs :) I have this orchid to love the fragrance
    I think the bonsai might be a blackthorn (Prunus Spinosa) I have 2 of these as bonsai but not in flower at the moment

fenius i think you must of been uploading your photos at around the same time as me as your post for feb was started 40mins after mine :)
    Always loved daphne i think there fragrance is outstanding this time of the year
    I have just bought edgeworthia not arrived yet but good to know it has a "heavenly vanilla scent" can not wait for it to come now :)
    And beautiful telosma is that the one Robert had but the flowers were short lived? or am i thinking of something else

• fenius
    10 years ago

Hey brian, I think it may have been although I don't find the flowers particularly short lived; For me they last 2 weeks minimun and they don't open all at the same time so I think it's normal..they make a bit of a mess when they start falling though as there are so many of them!
    Phoebe I have the same zygopetalum but it bloomed last month and I forgot to take a picture!!Loved its fragrance

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Good Morning Everyone!!!

Here is a picture of my Embers ( aka Toba's Fire) blooming in February!!

This bloom has a sweet fruity fragrance even under T-5 lights!!

Take care,

Laura

• yaslan72
    10 years ago

Hello Everyone,

This is my humble two dollar rescue orchid from Albertson's. She finally bloomed :-)

OMG: Fragrant your orchids are SoOO beautiful! I saw your Dendrobium at Lowe's for 10 bucks and yes, it does have a lovely fragrance. Now, that I see how pretty your Dendrobium is, i am kicking myself in the butt that I didn't buy it! And your Coelogyne Cristata is just fantastically divine.!

Phoebe: I am VERY jealous of your kumquat tree. It's so brightly lit and full of life...I love kumquats! And your ylang ylang is nice and healthy and makes me want to go and order one myself!

fenius: I love the heavenly scent of Daphne. I remember as a little child walking by this beautiful plant everyday and just inhaling its intoxicating fragrance.

Laura: Your plumeria is beautiful as always just like you :-)

Cheers to all of us anxiously awaiting the arrival of spring and all her glory!

Bo

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Hey everyone and BO!!!! How have you been???

It's see nice to see how the fragrance brings the best of my people out here! I love all the pics!

Fenius..I knew you would love that plant..lol
    Now, if I can remember where you bought it, I'll get one...Where did you get it? Was it at Carolina Nurseries?
    I want one..lol

Laura...It is beautiful just like you. I love it when you share these beauties..I here you are freezing down there too!

Fragrant,,,,Very nice!!Do you realize that because of you I am ordering some..lol..You always do this to me..
    Fragrant.....Do you know where I can pick up that plant, the coelogyne cristata??? I've been looking everywhere...Thank you so much.

Phoebe....Oh boy!!I forgot to take pics of mine!

Mike

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 22:09

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Well hello!
    Thanks for pointing me hither, Mike!

Josh

• fragrant2008
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Laura , love your plumeria i so hope 1 of mine flower this year i have never smelt or seen a plumeria flower in the flesh :( If they do not i will be coming to you for some advice :)

Bo thank you the beautiful orchid flowers get my through the winter :) and congrats on rescuing and saving that wonderful phalaenopsis

Haha Mike i try my best ;) i think we all end up doing it to one another so many plants i have bought just from seeing them on this forum :)
    The coelogyne cristata came from the Peterborough International Orchid Show for ã10 but i do not remember the nurserie sorry :(

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Good Afternoon Everyone!!!

I just love seeing all of these lovely blooms. It makes it a little easier to deal with these awful cold temps here on The east coast.

Bo !! Lovely orchid. You are so sweet!!! Thank you!! I am so glad to see you here!! Keep up with the beautiful pictures!!! ;-)

Josh.. What a pleasure !!!

Mike!! Thank you kind sir!!! Keep those compliments coming.. I'll put some $ in the mail.. LMAO!!! Seriously.. Much appreciated!!! Xo

Fragrant... I have no doubt that you will be successful with your Plumeria!! If you ever need anything, I will gladly help you in any way!! Cheers!!!

Take care !!!

Laura

10 years ago

Likewise, Laura!
    Well, I haven't much blooming indoors, but outdoors a few plants are starting to bloom. One of the most fragrant is my big Daphne bush. You can see part of it behind this small Iris.

Josh

• yaslan72
    10 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Hi Mike!!! How are you? I always love seeing pics of your plants, especially your citrus trees! I am good and getting back into the business of plants LOL I still have the jade cutting you sent. At one time I had at least three cuttings but I lost one this winter due to over watering.

Fragrant: Thank you and now I know the name of this beautiful orchid: phalaenopsis. Yes, these beautiful orchids definitely helps with the winter months. Another thing I find that's helpful during the cold spell is rooting jasmine and gardenia cuttings on a heat mat. It's a fun and useful experiment.

Laura: Thank you! You ALWAYS have the best pics of plumerias. They are contagiously beautiful!

Josh: I love the scene in your garden and your Daphne is an impressive size. I can only imagine how beautiful the scent will be once it blooms!

Happy Gardening!

Bo

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

It's a warm sunny day so I brought up my Brugmansia 'Charles Grimaldi'. It's been making the basement smell awesome!

-Robert

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Bo. what is that!?? I love it..lol YOu have a wonderful touch with your plants too!

Robert...How in the world did that survive your baesment and look as good as it does? It's awesome..

Hello Josh, Laura, and the rest of you folks..I think I owe you some pictures! Plenty of flowers but no time to share:-(((

Fragrant...I'll find one sooner or later..lol..I love it~

• yaslan72
    10 years ago

Hi Mike! Thank you. You probably already have one but It's a winter Daphne :-) I love the beautiful lemony scent .

Robert, your Charles Grimaldi is beautiful, especially in winter!

• fragrant2008
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Robert , how did you do that! your Brugmansia 'Charles Grimaldi'.is looking awesome so wish we had basements over here.
    Ever year i have to cut mine hard back so i can move them for winter protection

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

Thanks, guys!

I really didn't do anything besides shove it down into the basment under the fluorescent lights and water it every now and then. :)
    It's actually from a root cutting that I rooted a couple of years ago. I let the mother plant die in the ground over the winter since it got too huge.
    This smaller one I'll keep in a pot. I get more blooms that way but yea, they can get extremely big and heavy!

Oh, almost forgot. My Telosma cordata bloomed a long time so I had no issues with any shortness of bloom. I am on the fence though as to if I want to continue to grow it since I can't decide if the scent is worth it or not.
    I'll see how I feel about it this summer since it appears to be waking up from its dormancy down in the basement. :)

-Robert

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

The bonsai looks like a pear - in which case it should have had noticeably smelly flowers.

10 years ago

Well, the Daphne blooms are really opening now! All day the front entry smells like a perfume of Jasmine and Citrus. Just got another variegated Daphne for the yard, too.

Josh

• princesspea
    10 years ago

Well, aside from two weeks of freezing that killed citrus and passion fruit vines in my yard, winter decided to skip california completely this year. Before we run completely out of water and everything in my yard dies, I have sweet peas, roses, and three different jasmines including the angelwing jasmine I was sure was going to freeze to death, roses, lavender, lemon trees, sweet peas, star magnolia, wildly out of season freesia, and my lovely weed patch/flowering meadow/lawn (photo attached) with sweet violets. grape hyacinth, alyssum and virginia stock. I'm enjoying it now before all becomes a blasted desert when they stop letting us water anything this summer.
    Pea

• fragrant2008
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Two more orchids :)

B.L.C TA-HSIN

and if you have limited room and like orchids get this little beauty has one of the best chocolate fragrances every :)

dendrobium tetragonum