Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aslan89_gw

Gardenia In Al's Gritty Mix?

aslan89
11 years ago

Has anyone grown gardenias in Al's gritty mix? He recommends the gritty mix for most woody plants and shrubs but I know how picky gardenias can be!

I have probably killed 12 gardenias in the past few years and not just the cheap ones either, I'm talking about the big flowered 'Aimee' tree gardenias for $30+

Anyway, no matter what I do they just will not grow in the ground here in South Texas but I just love them so much I can't stop buying them :p

I just started using Al's gritty mix for potted plants and I think it might be the answer to my problems as I typically end up with root rot which kills my gardenias. Do they like Al's gritty mix?

Comments (52)

• aslan89
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What all is in the 5:1:1 mix? I just got the gardenia today so one more day in its pot won't kill it if I need to go pick up the stuff for the 5:1:1 mix. I think I read that it has peat in it though which I am not a fan of simply because it seems to always get compacted and actually repels water. Thats just been my experience though and I have never tried this particular mix just the 1:1:1 mix.

I live in a very hot and dry place so it would be easy for the gardenia's to wilt, however for my 1:1:1 mix I usually don't sift it as I like the smaller particles that will hold more water but the mix itself still drains very quickly.

Also what type of pot do you use for your gardenia? I usually go for the ones that have a tray at the bottom where you can water from underneath but I can see how that can spell disaster for a gardenia which doesn't like wet feet.

Don't be shy about telling me what to do! I've killed enough gardenia's on my own so I'm willing to take any and all criticism/help lol

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

What! You know of his gritty mix but not his famous 5:1:1 mix? I'm shocked! :)

I definitely screen all my products. If not the smaller particles just fill in the empty spaces that would have held air.

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: Al's 5:1:1 fast draining potting mix

• kemistry
    11 years ago

Gosh aslan, I want to get an Aimee this year too but yeah it's soooo expensive.

Gardenia mainly died from being over watered. I have found that the hardy cultivars are much easier to care for. Plus keeping it in a clay pot will help a lot too. I use the 5:1:1 mix for mine and it works well.

Take pic of your gardenia. Would love to see it : )

• aslan89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So the general consensus seems to be the 5:1:1 mix correct? I just want to be sure because it sounds more like regular soil and I have had horrible luck with gardenias in soil haha. Although I guess if I get a pot that has no tray on the bottom the extra organic material should hold more water still.

How big can the bark be? I already have the expensive stuff I use for the gritty mix (repti-bark) which is pre screened and dust free so I just need the peat since I have a bag of perlite. About the sphagum peat moss though, are we talking about the miracle grow stuff thats like powder? Or does it mean the real stuff like orchid peat which is basically like the moss plants that were dried?

Oh and here is a picture of the plant, no blooms yet but it has plenty of buds on it :)

11 years ago

I use Hapi-Gro 100% organic compost which is really pine bark fines however you definitely will need to sift the small particles out. And yes, we're talking regular old peat moss for your yard. I also sift my perlite since it becomes dust and fills in the spaces.
    If you read the Al's link it should explain everything for you. Basically if most of the particles are the same size the mix retains enough moisture for the plant but doesn't rot the roots.

-Robert

• aslan89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Robert, I'll go ahead and sift out the dust and tiny particles. I'll need to buy the garden lime for this particular mix though correct? I would imagine the pH is quite low in the 5:1:1 mix.

Just out of curiosity I might go ahead and grab another gardenia and try one in 1:1:1 gritty mix and one in the 5:1:1 since I already have the ingredients for the former and just need the peat moss for the latter.

Also you mentioned that if most of the particles are the same size it will be ok but the miracle grow peat moss is basically powder. Won't that change up the drainage if you have sifted bark and perlite but powdery peat?

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Ok...You are going to laugh and get my my main points.

Using the 5.1.1 mix and the gritty is always best, but first you should understand the concepts of the mixes and how they perform in your containers. How they affect water in your pots and the roots.

I have the freedom of playing around with different mixes all based of this knowledge and of purpose of these mixes as a guide.

Believe it or not, but in many of my 5.1.1 mixes, like for that of Hoya and Gardenia, I use 'turface' or 'pumice' instead of the peat. I substitute. if you don't like peat which in many cases I do not, you can always substitute ensuring that your mix will last even longer all the while getting moisture that your peat would of done.
    You don't need to use peat in a 5.1.1 mix.

You really are the best judge when it comes to what works in your area. For many of my plants, I strictly adhere to the 5..1.1 mix with peat fines, but don't need to add peat in some because there is enough fines in the bag of bark I use. All I do is add one part perlite.
    I am also not limited to only peat as an additive,

So here are your options which will all work and use the one that you best now how to use.
    I will also give you a number rating scale based on watering fruequency, from frequent 10, to less frequent being 1

Not Frequent---1
    Very frequent---10

1). 5 parts bark with big sizes sifted out , one part peat, one part perlite, sift the dust out if very fine, but you do not have to if it's course, with one tbsp of lime per gallon of mix

Watering frequency ? 1-3

2). 5 parts bark, one part pumice, one part perlite with one tbsp of lime per gallon of soil.

Watering frequency? 4-5

3). 5 parts bark, one part 'turface', one part fine perlite sift out the dust, course, no need to sift, and one tbsp of lime added per gallon

Watering frequency? 4-6

4). The gritty mix with gypsym added, one tbsp per gallon and use epsom salts when you water and or fertilize.
    No need for gypsum if you are using a fertilizer with Ca. and Mg. included.

Watering frequency? 8-10 Less frequency if using unsifted turface

I hope this helps:-0)

As for your last answer....Most of us sift out the larger pieces of bark for the 5.1.1 mix. We are not concerned about the finer particles as we are the gritty mix.

Composted bark fines which is suggested over the uncomposted ones is used in the 5..1.1 mix with peat, and some bags will already have fine particles not requiring added peat while other bags will require just one part.

The problem you suggested might only be a problem with your rept-bark because those partciles along with the perlite are much bigger than your peat fines. You could always dampen the mix before using so the fien peat will adhere to teh bark, but I am pretty sure your peat fines will eventually find their way to the bottom of your pot over time causing a perched water table towards the bottom.
    How do you over come that? You could use a wick that tricks the water away from the lower portion of your pot.

When using the 5.1.1 mix, the best bark to use with peat would be the composted bark one.
    When using turface or pumice, the best bark to use in an amended 5.1.1 mix would be the uncomposted one or teh composted one sifted of all fines and larger particles to teh apopropiate sizes. Since you will have sifted out all the finer particles of the pumice and turface, and the dust from the perlite creating more of a different gritty version.

Your goal is to create the original mixes with the right products and sizes, or a varied version of them that will still provide the much needed aerated mixes needed for gardenias roots to breathe and not be taken down by disolved salts, the number two killers of these plants.

if you water from the bottom, you will most certainly kill another gardenia since your other goal is to let the water flush every time you water.

Good luck:-)

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 19:24

• aslan89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Awesome, thank you! I personally just really hate peat so I will take your suggestion and use the repti-bark with turface and perlite.

I also think I will go with a clay pot (they usually only have one big hole in the center, hope that is ok for drainage as long as I skip the water tray)

Do you happen to recall the pH of turface? Without the peat in this mix it will be a littler higher but since it will be mostly fir bark it might be ok still.

• kemistry
    11 years ago

Aslan89, you've asked the right guy; Mike can grow any plant.. and not just grow, his plants are awesome.. If you listen to his advices I'm sure yours will thrive too.

Let me just add that OMG.. that's Aimee, yes?? Im envious. My local nursery used to carry Aimee but not anymore. The gardenia they have nowsaday is Veitchii, Veitchii and more Veitchii. :\

• aslan89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My local Lowe's and Home Depot both just got some. Do you have either of those in Oregon? I bet we are quite a bit warmer here in South Texas but maybe when it warms up there they will get them too. Home Depot actually has the better gardenias. This tree gardenia was grafted on a sturdy thick trunk, the ones at Lowe's were scraggly looking things haha.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Oh Kemistry, but you too are such a good and smart man. You too do wonders with your plants and thank you!;_-)

Aslan..Turface ph comes in at about 6.2 which would put it mildly acidic, but the bark is still very acidic.
    What you ant to remember is that more importantly is that gardenia plants NEED Ca. and Mg. to thrive which most fertilizers do not provide. I nice amount in your mix will be gratefully appreciated by most plants, especially gardenia.

If you use the repti-bark, make sure you screen your turface and perlite to uniform sizes so your mix will dry out evenly. If you want to increase water retention, then you know the less you screen or the smaller your particle sizes, the more water retentive your mix becomes.
    Use what is best for you in your area, but more importantly, what is best for your gardenia.

Kemistry, lucky Asian89 for sure. i think I have just discovered my next buy this spring, as if I already don't have enough gardenias!

Home Depot? Really? Woohoo

Mike

• aslan89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hahaha yes I will screen it. In fact I will get this done tomorrow morning sometime so check back and I'll post a picture of the mix to get it approved by you ;)

Oh and yes, I typically prefer the plants at Lowe's but Home Depot always has the biggest and best gardenias! It's such a terrible shame I didn't discover these mixes last year... Home Depot had these gigantic 'Aimee' gardenias last year, 5 feet tall and the canopy must have been 2+ feet wide at the time of purchase. Of course that one only lasted about 3 months... Oh well, hopefully this all works out and if I ever see one one of the giant plants again I can snag it!

Anyway, check back tomorrow and I'll show you what I've got :) Btw how great is turface? Used quite a bit when planting some new rose bushes in the ground and they are thanking me already!

Oh and just fyi is AsLan (as in the Lion from the chronicles of narnia) not asian lol

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Aslan..lol I knew that!

Mike

• aslan89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lol ok just checking ;)

After all we talked about yesterday I have to say I think I am leaning more towards the 1:1:1 gritty mix over the 5:1:1 again. I'm about to go see what I can find and maybe if I find the right bark I'll go for it but I just feel like, even in our dry area, that the 5:1:1 will retain too much moisture. I'll see what I can find though.

11 years ago

You're too funny. If you sift your 5:1:1 mix you shouldn't have any root rot issues. I like to tilt my pots (you can place a small rock under one side) after watering to drain some of the perched water level. My plants thrive this way but if you think you can water your gardenia enough in the gritty mix then go for it! :)

-Robert

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

I'm with Robert on this one too..lol

I must say that if you made your 5.1.1 correctly, or sifted, you will find it does not hold water as long as you may think...

Let us know what you decide, please:-)

Mike

• aslan89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Alright so spring fever has hit me pretty hard, yesterday it was roses, today I ended up with another gardenia! Plus I have all the ingredients for both mixes... what to do.... lol I guess I'll try the 5:1:1 first! If my gardenias die they are coming back to haunt you guys! :)

The pine bark I found looks like it has a lot of fines in it, I might just leave out the peat. I'll post a picture in a bit and see what you guys think.

• aslan89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok new problem, at the store the bark looked tiny but now that I've opened it I see lots of big chunks. This picture is after a quick pass through large mess to screen the big chunks but I'm guessing these pieces still might be too large. Worst come to worst I have on old live trap with smaller bars I could use to filter a little more of the larger stuff out if needed.

Also I found an organic fertilizer with calcium and magnesium. Its a 3-4-4 NPK mix which isn't ideal but it has great stuff in it like non-water soluble nitrogen and lots of good soil bacteria. Should I still add the lime for calcium or just add some of this to the mix?

11 years ago

You don't need us to tell you that you're going to have to screen out those huge chunks. Al's mix calls for pine bark in the 1/8-1/4" range for the gritty mix and
    As for fertizlier I prefer Dynamite All Purpose slow release fertilizer (15-5-9 balanced rates of NPK plus micros. Also contains calcium for growth and structure. Feeds continuously up to 9 months. Contains necessary micronutrients). I order it from Amazon. I also like Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro liquid fertilizer when my plants look like they could use some extra nutrients.
    Does the fertizlier you bought have calcium and/or micronutrients?

-Robert

• aslan89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Calcium and magnesium are included, not much in the way of micro nutrients but I have something I can add for that.

I may just have to go with the gritty mix, I don't think the bark I bought will be very useful here and I don't have the right tools to get it between those sizes you mentioned. My other option is going with the repti-bark as its pretty uniform in size.

• aslan89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Actually I can get out some of those chunks through the smaller mesh, just tested it. Do I need to filter out the the tiny fines or do I keep everything under 3/8"?

I've never made this particular mix before so I do need you guys to tell me to filter out the larger chunks lol. I'm going to make a small sample batch and post a picture.

• aslan89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Alright, here we go! This is a picture of what my final product will look like (dime in center for size comparison).

Hopefully it is adequate, personally I think it turned out just fine. Surely not perfect but it looks pretty close to other pictures I have seen :) I stuck with the original recipe, 5:1:1 pine bark, peat, sifted perlite

What do you think based on the picture? Go for it? Or use the gritty mix?

Edit: I've got some other yard work to do (one more rose bush to plant) so I'll go do that for now and check back in for your thoughts in about an hour :)

Again, thanks for everyones help! I really do appreciate it!

This post was edited by aslan89 on Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 14:31

11 years ago

I took Kemistry's advice and started screening my pine bark fines with regular window screen. It's made a world of difference to get out the fine dust particles that clog the spaces in the mix that would have held air. So I recommend screening out the fine stuff! Other than that it looks pretty good! :)

-Robert

This post was edited by robert1971 on Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 14:40

• aslan89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well I could filter some of that out with the netting I use for the perlite and turface but with the chunky stuff still in there wouldn't it be nearly the same? Maybe I should just leave out the peat.

• aslan89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok here is the mix with the bark filtered of dust and fines next to the original. You can see it is a bit more airy. Will this suffice? I can't do much about the chunky bark other than filter with the large mesh for large pieces and the tiny mesh for the fines so the airy one is pretty much as close as I can get it.

It looks too chunky without the fines to me but I guess that will keep out the perched water too.

This post was edited by aslan89 on Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 15:55

11 years ago

So you don't have any window screen that you could use? I went to a local hardware store and bought a couple of feet for a dollar or two. Super cheap. You'd be amazed at all the dust you can get out by sifting!
    Still recommending you do this.

-Robert

• aslan89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry, just updated the post above yours when I saw it double posted. There is a picture of the filtered bark mix using a fishing net that is about 1/8" mesh.

11 years ago

Still going with the sifted product. :)

-Robert

• aslan89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Woot! Got everything sifted but I'll have to finish this project tomorrow, I don't have time to get both done this evening.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Aslan..If you sift for the 5.1.1 mix. make sure you add peat back into your mix or at least fines. You will need something to retain moisture in your mix, especially for gardenia and especially in Texas.
    A 5.1.1 mix without peat or' turface' or something to hold moisture will repel water in a way you will not like.

Remember, it's your choice on how much fine particles you will want to use according to your area. But, there is also a reason why Robert has hooked you up with that 5.1.1 thread up top.
    I would definitely read that. It seems that Robert has a great grasp on these mixes as you can tell how wonderful his plants grow too.

Mike

• aslan89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh definitely, and both of those mixes in the pictures above do have the peat in them as well. I didn't forget, I promise lol.

The bark itself will hold moisture as well though. I'm sticking with the recipe and only adding one part peat because watering in any frequency (well as long as its not something more than 2 times a day :p) is fine and my old problems have always been too much moisture so I'm fine with it draining quickly for sure!

With two gardenias I still could go ahead and try one in gritty and one in the 5:1:1, the gritty mix with turface still holds a surprising amount of moisture when you are talking about a large pot. I'm not using an enormous pot btw, I'm just saying that just because the gritty mix is dry on top it's still usually wet just an inch or so below the surface.

What is even more complicated is the fact that our area (Harlingen Texas) can be like an arid desert for part of the year and tropical the rest. Although lately it's just been dry dry dry.

Either way the pots I bought today have no tray, which I usually use, so that will definitely improve the situation for me.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

You will definitely have better success in these mixes or any that is very porous.

The only difference I find with the two, 5.1.1 and the gritty is that the gritty ones holds its structure much much longer, weighs more, and dries out a bit quicker depending on how much turface you use or if it's sifted correctly.

Mike

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 21:11

• aslan89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My gardenia knows how hard we have all been working to please it and she just wanted to say thank you :)

• aslan89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

All done! :) I sure had a hard time getting the old soil out of those root balls, gosh those gardenias have strong fibrous roots! I couldn't get every little bit out but at most there was 10-15% left in the first one because it had many more roots.

The good news is that most of those roots are away from the center so I was able to get all the soil out of the center which left each plant with an empty cone underneath. I made sure to pack that with the new soil before placing them into the pots.

Now I just need to cross my fingers and hope everything works out. I had a little superthrive so I used that in the water since it prevents transplant shock and a tiny bit of soluble fertilizer just to keep them happy until the pH adjusts. (literally at about 1/10th the strength just to make sure I didn't burn them)

Again, I can't thank you guys enough for helping me out. I'm a very independent person but I had so many questions it was just better to ask from people with experience. I am not that inept when it comes to plants either, I just graduated college recently and I took marine botany, plant taxonomy, plant morphology, ethnobotany, and plant physiology, plus i've been gardening for about 10 years. Of course my knowledge is focused on Identification, morphology, and physiological/chemical processes in plants, not soil science which is why I needed plenty of help :p

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Wow! What a great job!

Remember now, to push the mix in and around all the roots with a good jet stream of water and make sure you keep the mix moist as its new roots take.

Also, keep your plants out of full sun for a couple of weeks as they adjust. I would make sure they are in a place that gets early morning to late morning sun or late afternoon to evening sun.

Boy, if you keep them from shock, they should stay perked up like that if not even look better within hours..lol

Quite the educational back round you have there and all I am is a massage therapist and a computer nerd..

Mike

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 17:34

• aslan89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lol well I would still say my own gardening experience through trial and error is more valuable since you never know what will happen in your area until you try it.

The spot they are in now will get morning through about 2-3pm sun but I could place them on my front porch which just gets 2-3pm onward or our back porch they would just get morning till around noon which might be best for our crazy hot summer sun :p

I do like this mix, I'm considering taking my Kishu Mandarin out of the gritty mix and placing it in this but I don't want to disturb it for now since its leafing/budding out.

Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted on the gardenia progress. I'll wait a week and post a new picture, and hopefully in 2-3 weeks they will be covered in blooms (assuming they don't drop all the little buds they have now o_O)

This post was edited by aslan89 on Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 20:26

11 years ago

I was just about to say never mess with a plant when it's got buds but I've got my fingers crossed yours don't abort! :)
    You did a great job. Wish we could smell your gorgeous bloom.
    Hope your plants don't lose their buds.
    Keep us updated!

-Robert

• aslan89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Will do, since it's my first time using this new soil mix I'm excited to report about it. Feels like I am in one of my plant labs again doing an experiment haha.

Btw, just found this old picture I had posted on the dave's garden website of the giant gardenia I lost last year :(

I made the mistake of planting it in the ground here, of course I amended the soil but it just doesn't drain well enough so I ended up losing this one. When I first purchased it from home depot, in the pot, it was about 5 to 5.5 feet tall!

11 years ago

Ugh! So sorry! I bet it smelled amazing! You're going to make Kemistry drool by the way.
    He adores gardenias. ;)

-Robert

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

O.M.G!!

Now that is one beautiful tree. I am so sorry you lost that too. Listen if you potted your tree right, you should not loose any buds. Lets' hope you know how to keep it from shock:-)

Robert, doesn't that want to make you run out and get another? I already have 6 different kinds and now I want another....lol

Mike

• aslan89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hahahah! And I'm the worst influence when it comes to plants. I go to a nursery and I'm like "OOOH! Thats smells good, I think I'll buy ten!" lol

The trees still look fine today and they aren't wilted so there must still be plenty of moisture left over. It is incredibly windy today however so I'm keeping an eye on them to make sure they don't wilt.

• newgen
    11 years ago

I'll be getting either a Michelia alba, or Michelia champaca, or hopefully both. I'm in Bakersfield, CA, very hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Do you guys recommend the 5:1:1 or Gritty? I currently have an Elephant Ear in the gritty mix, it's doing great.
    Thanks,

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Aslan......

The fact that you said..."there still MUST be plenty of moisture scares me" worries me..lol

You can't take a chance with gardenia when it comes to moisture in your root zone, especially at a time like this.

Do yourself and your tree a favor and get a wooden barbecue skewer or a wooden dowel and check for moisture in the root zone to make 'absolutely' certain there is until you get use to watering the mix.

You can't afford to let the root zone go completely dry and you can't afford to over water either.
    You have to make sure that when you pull the stick out after checking the roots that it is not dry, nor still wet.
    With gardenia, you need to water before it gets completely dry, evenly moist they call it..Get it? :-)

Newgen..How are you?

The 5.1.1 mix is good for short term plantings and the gritty mix for long term plantings within the same pots for periods of time.

Both are excellent though and it's up to you to choose onne that lasts longer than the other.

Good luck:-)

11 years ago

Okay...this wooden dowel business is alright I suppose but I for one totally love my moisture meter that I scored at Tuesday Morning for 5 bucks...especially in a gritty mix! Often I think my plumerias need watering until I shove the meter down into the mix and see it's still moist. :)

-Robert

• aslan89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Haha well the curse of the gardenia began today. Super windy again and one of them fell over and the other started to wilt!

So yes it needed water but now I know I should water every other day for now. The one that fell over looks perfectly fine, the other one has a couple yellow leaves (never a good sign for me) but it already had a few when I bought it and I can't tell if there are actually more yellow leaves than when I got it. Still looking good though :)

• aslan89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well one of them is still looking rather sickly. Slightly wilted even though the soil is moist so definitely not a good sign but I've gone ahead and placed them in a location now that will just get morning sun then indirect light from noon onward.

I planted both at the same time, one right after the other and used the same batch of soil but the sickly one did have quite a bit of new growth on it which is more easily damaged by changes so I'm still crossing my fingers. The other plant still looks great.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

I just wanted to jump in say this has been a great thread.

With my past experiences with gardenia they would have been dead by the time I got them home.

Dang it Im going to have a thriving gardenia this year if it kills me.

Mike

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    11 years ago

Mike, I'm with you on that declaration, haha -- though I've been tormenting mine to death. I've attached my gardenia thread below -- still ongoing as it ain't dead yet.

Yet.

The last couple of days, I've eyed it to see if I should risk repotting it into 5:1:1 or gritty mix right now, but that's probably the only one I will leave in the soil as it is right now. She actually terrifies me. This is the only plant that terrifies me.

The last update to the thread showed a photo.
    And this is today.

God willing, this will open sometime in 2013.
    Unless I've tormented it too much and it drops and dies.

Which wouldn't surprise me either. :-D

Here is a link that might be useful: My Gardenia Thread

• aslan89
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I haven't been on in a while to report on the gardenias progress so I figured I might as well say something. They still got off to a bad start somehow, and every single leaf appeared to dry and turn brown. I went on vacation for a week and just forgot about them, thinking they were a total loss only to come home and find green leaves popping out of every tip. I would post a picture now but it's embarrassing how ugly they still look lol because all the old leaves have stayed attached for now.

Anyway, I'm crossing my fingers. I don't know how they went from basically dead to back to life now but if they make it they will be my miracle plants lol.

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    10 years ago

Aslan, checked back today because I got curious to see if you had updated. I took one ailing gardenia today and potted it into GM, so was looking to see how you had fared.

Strangely enough, at my new place, the gardenias indoors are doing so nicely whereas outdoors -- even though it's not that cold -- they are not thriving at all. Prior to this, these died if I even thought about bringing it in!

Photos?

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner