Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good idea? Pink Jasmine and climbing rose?

Posted by mehetabelle z8/9 CA (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 18, 06 at 14:37

Is this a good idea?

One of my mature climbing antique roses has 2" thick canes with foliage only on top. The rose is healthy, but the canes look scary -- all those thorns.

I am thinking of planting a pink jasmine at the foot of the rose so it will climb into the canes and camouflage them a bit, especially now when the rose is bare.

Is this a good idea or too much competition for the rose? Or too much light/water for the jasmine?

--Mehetabelle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good idea? Pink Jasmine and climbing rose?

I think pink Chilean jasmine do not have strong fragrance.

o
thorns on rose?

Mehetabelle,

Many people want thorn-less roses. Actually there are: Lady Banks' Rose (Rosa banksiae) is one such plant.

check out:
Rosa Banksiae 1

Rosa Banksiae 2

Recommended Temperature Zone:
sunset: 4-33
USDA: 8-10

Frost Tolerance: Hardy to 10F (-12C)

Heat Tolerance: Avoid afternoon sun in summer in Phoenix

Sun Exposure: Full sun

Origin: Central and western China

Growth Habits: Evergreen climber, fast growing to 20 feet (6 m) or more. The "World's Largest Rose" (in Tombstone, Arizona) is a Lady Banks' Rose, and supported by 68 posts and spanning 70 feet (21 m)

Watering Needs: Drought tolerant, but does better with regular water.

Propagation: Cuttings

o

• Posted by jimshy z7 Brooklyn, NY (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 21, 06 at 11:20

Pink jasmine = jasminum x. stephanense? I've never smelled much scent from this one, and there are a bunch that'd be hardy in your zone.

Here are my thoughts:

1. They're vines; if one gets too ornery, you can just cut it back.

2. If the bloom times overlap, they have to look and smell good together -- white is probably a better blend with other colors than pink, but hey, it's a personal thing!

3. As long as both plants have enough root run, and you're good about watering, you should be OK.

If you go for it, send a pic with blooms, it sounds like a neat idea!

Jim

o

Jim,

Chilean jasmine is Mandevilla Laxa. They are not real jasmine. See linked images.

o

Hi Mehetabelle,
Sounds like a good idea. Pink jasmine (I presume you are referring to J. polyanthum) is not that fastidious so I guess it won't be a problem. I'm sure there will be an interesting mix of scents, too. Another idea would be honeysuckle (Goldflame)although it is supposed to be deciduous?

o

Hi, I am referring to J. Polyanthum. Very fragrant, easy to grow and propagate. Wonder if the roots are deep enough to compete with the rose? What climbing, fragrant vine has shallow roots?

o

I have Clematis combined with my climbing roses with no problems at all. I would not hesitate to combine with J. polyanthum if it was reliably hardy here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here